First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads. - Linux

This is a discussion on First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads. - Linux ; On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:03:30 -0400, amicus_curious wrote: > Seems like you are confused, as usual. If they didn't care what the public > thinks, they wouldn't run commercials to buy good press. For those commercials that is pretty ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:03:30 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > Seems like you are confused, as usual. If they didn't care what the public
    > thinks, they wouldn't run commercials to buy good press.

    For those commercials that is pretty much the way it is.
    Microsoft has taken a skinning in the press over Vista and now they are in
    damage control trying to convince the consumer that all is well in
    Microsoft land.

    BTW the major reason why Vista shrink wrap isn't flying off the shelves is
    because the perception is that it is simply XP with eye candy and more
    hardware requirements.

    When XP was released, most people were on Win9X and XP was a way different
    animal so people could see the reason to upgrade.

    This time it's not really needed so people are sticking with XP.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On 2008-09-08, Ralph Edwards wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > news:10iogipfpl70p$.1imo6vbyz8g84$.dlg@40tude.net. ..
    >> On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:46:22 +0100, bbgruff wrote:
    >> Oh, you want an example of a good commercial?
    >>
    >> Capital One--> What's in your wallet.....
    >> Good commercial(s) (It's a series of different ones).
    >>

    > The old "Got Milk?" commercials were great! I wish all commercials were that
    > good.

    Bill simply hired the wrong ad agency.

    He even fails the Charlemange test.

    --

    Truth is irrelevant as long as the predictions are good. |||
    / | \

  3. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    newseuwk0u8uwyd.qvxfx1knj5dh$.dlg@40tude.net...
    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:03:30 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:
    >

    >> Seems like you are confused, as usual. If they didn't care what the
    >> public
    >> thinks, they wouldn't run commercials to buy good press.

    > For those commercials that is pretty much the way it is.
    > Microsoft has taken a skinning in the press over Vista and now they are in
    > damage control trying to convince the consumer that all is well in
    > Microsoft land.
    >
    > BTW the major reason why Vista shrink wrap isn't flying off the shelves is
    > because the perception is that it is simply XP with eye candy and more
    > hardware requirements.
    >
    > When XP was released, most people were on Win9X and XP was a way different
    > animal so people could see the reason to upgrade.
    >
    > This time it's not really needed so people are sticking with XP.

    I think that is true. Technodweebs like myself will update existing
    computers, particularly if they are MSDN Enterprise subscribers and it costs
    nothing (extra) to do so. But friends and neighbors and family don't ever
    seem to change until they buy a new computer, usually on a 3 or usually
    longer year cycle. Then they get what comes with the machine.

    Updating to Vista was a problematic experience, too. Not many of the old
    video adapters got new drivers from their makers, even the high end ones. I
    ended up trying a dual Xeon IBM Intellistation-Z that gave me all sorts of
    problems, even though it was only about 2 years old at the time.
    Interestingly enough, I put Win 2008 Server on it a few weeks ago and it was
    no trouble at all, but 2K8 doesn't have all the video sizzle that Vista had.
    I have Vista on a couple of Dell workstations and it works great. I do like
    it better than XP once I got used to things being in different places.

  4. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    Rex Ballard wrote:

    >The paid $10 million for Seinfeld,

    How much are they paying Gates? 8)

  5. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Oh, you want an example of a good commercial?
    >
    > Capital One--> What's in your wallet.....
    > Good commercial(s) (It's a series of different ones).

    That's a good commercial?

    I bet he drinks carling black label...
    Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet.
    Only Heineken can do zis, because it refreshes ze parts, ozer beers cannot
    reach...
    Have a break, have a kit-kat...

    THOSE are good commercials... some of them have you literally ROTFL.

    (you can find a few excellent examples of those on youtube)
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  6. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:44:10 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Oh, you want an example of a good commercial?
    >>
    >> Capital One--> What's in your wallet.....
    >> Good commercial(s) (It's a series of different ones).

    > That's a good commercial?
    >
    > I bet he drinks carling black label...
    > Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet.
    > Only Heineken can do zis, because it refreshes ze parts, ozer beers cannot
    > reach...
    > Have a break, have a kit-kat...
    >
    > THOSE are good commercials... some of them have you literally ROTFL.
    >
    > (you can find a few excellent examples of those on youtube)

    I've only heard of the Kit Kat one.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > I've only heard of the Kit Kat one.

    Go onto youtube and type "carling black label cowboy" and "carling black
    label king arthur" for a couple of examples.

    The cowboy one had me rotfl the first time I saw it. You'll see why.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  8. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> I've only heard of the Kit Kat one.

    > Go onto youtube and type "carling black label cowboy" and "carling black
    > label king arthur" for a couple of examples.
    >
    > The cowboy one had me rotfl the first time I saw it. You'll see why.

    On the subject .... and knowing your views on religion .. Google up
    George Carlin and his views on religion. Hilarious.

    Here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

    --
    - "Actually XP *is* getting press, but most of it is along the lines of
    "we're going to wait and see", in other words not very good."

  9. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Jag Chan" wrote in message
    >> "amicus_curious" wrote in
    >> news:48c4617a$0$23165$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com:
    >>
    >>> They are just keeping the public aware of their name and it works
    >>> pretty good.
    >>>

    >> OMG!
    >> Are you saying that MS has come to a stage,
    >> where they need to keep public aware of their name ?
    >>

    > You always have to do that. They are at the same stage as Boeing,
    > Caterpillar, IBM, and other major, successful corporations. Maybe some day
    > Red Hat will be successful and able to afford an ad or two as well.

    Sounds reasonable....

    ....now tell me.....

    .... Have you any idea what Google's annual advertising budget is?

  10. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    bbgruff writes:

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >

    >> "Jag Chan" wrote in message
    >>> "amicus_curious" wrote in
    >>> news:48c4617a$0$23165$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com:

    >>> OMG!
    >>> Are you saying that MS has come to a stage,
    >>> where they need to keep public aware of their name ?
    >>>

    >> You always have to do that. They are at the same stage as Boeing,
    >> Caterpillar, IBM, and other major, successful corporations. Maybe some day
    >> Red Hat will be successful and able to afford an ad or two as well.

    > Sounds reasonable....
    >
    > ...now tell me.....
    >
    > ... Have you any idea what Google's annual advertising budget is?

    Google advertisement budget? They have the best kind of advertisement -
    great products which spread by word of mouth and become household
    words. "Google" that up ....

  11. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    "bbgruff" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >

    >> "Jag Chan" wrote in message
    >>> "amicus_curious" wrote in
    >>> news:48c4617a$0$23165$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com:

    >>> OMG!
    >>> Are you saying that MS has come to a stage,
    >>> where they need to keep public aware of their name ?
    >>>

    >> You always have to do that. They are at the same stage as Boeing,
    >> Caterpillar, IBM, and other major, successful corporations. Maybe some
    >> day
    >> Red Hat will be successful and able to afford an ad or two as well.

    > Sounds reasonable....
    >
    > ...now tell me.....
    >
    > ... Have you any idea what Google's annual advertising budget is?

    According to their SEC filings, "Selling, General and Administrative" was
    about $2.7B out of their initial profit margin of about $10B for 2007.
    According to the 10Q, their direct sales and marketing expenses, which would
    not include personnel, was 9% of their gross revenues or about $1.5B. So
    they pay marketers on staff close to a billion bucks including travel and
    expenses and spend a billion and a half on some form of services, which
    would include a lot of things other than TV ads.

    Microsoft, of course, spends at a rate almost double that, as a percentage
    of their overall business, but MSFT has a much more diverse product
    portfolio. GOOG is essentially a one-trick pony and in a favorable
    situation for self-promotions by comparison.

    So you think that Google should spend more? Or that Microsoft could spend
    less? They are both very successful and you can't really argue with that.

  12. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On Sep 7, 6:46*pm, bbgruff wrote:
    > By the heck.
    >
    > The first of these is out:-
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09..._seinfeld_comm...
    >
    > That must be Game Over for Mac and Linux (and XP)
    > With this sort of selling power, Vista will be irresistable.
    > That's it.
    > Pack it in.
    > We all need to go out and snap up a few copies before the price increases.....
    > it's sure convinced me......

    Windows wins, OSX wins, Linux.... well, you know...

    It sucks to be you...

  13. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "bbgruff" wrote in message
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Jag Chan" wrote in message

    >>> You always have to do that. They are at the same stage as Boeing,
    >>> Caterpillar, IBM, and other major, successful corporations. Maybe some
    >>> day
    >>> Red Hat will be successful and able to afford an ad or two as well.

    >> Sounds reasonable....
    >>
    >> ...now tell me.....
    >>
    >> ... Have you any idea what Google's annual advertising budget is?
    >>

    > According to their SEC filings, "Selling, General and Administrative" was
    > about $2.7B out of their initial profit margin of about $10B for 2007.
    > According to the 10Q, their direct sales and marketing expenses, which would
    > not include personnel, was 9% of their gross revenues or about $1.5B. So
    > they pay marketers on staff close to a billion bucks including travel and
    > expenses and spend a billion and a half on some form of services, which
    > would include a lot of things other than TV ads.
    >
    > Microsoft, of course, spends at a rate almost double that, as a percentage
    > of their overall business, but MSFT has a much more diverse product
    > portfolio. GOOG is essentially a one-trick pony and in a favorable
    > situation for self-promotions by comparison.
    >
    > So you think that Google should spend more? Or that Microsoft could spend
    > less? They are both very successful and you can't really argue with that.

    Believe me, I'm not arguing about Goog;e's success. Rather, I asked what
    their advertising budget was - a question which you seem to be avoiding while
    pretending to answer.

    Let me put it to you another way. I do remember seeing several Microsoft T.V.
    ads in the past. I don't recall a single Google one.
    Perhaps your experience is different?

  14. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    "bbgruff" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >

    >> "bbgruff" wrote in message

    >>> Sounds reasonable....
    >>>
    >>> ...now tell me.....
    >>>
    >>> ... Have you any idea what Google's annual advertising budget is?
    >>>

    >> According to their SEC filings, "Selling, General and Administrative" was
    >> about $2.7B out of their initial profit margin of about $10B for 2007.
    >> According to the 10Q, their direct sales and marketing expenses, which
    >> would
    >> not include personnel, was 9% of their gross revenues or about $1.5B.
    >> So
    >> they pay marketers on staff close to a billion bucks including travel and
    >> expenses and spend a billion and a half on some form of services, which
    >> would include a lot of things other than TV ads.
    >>
    >> Microsoft, of course, spends at a rate almost double that, as a
    >> percentage
    >> of their overall business, but MSFT has a much more diverse product
    >> portfolio. GOOG is essentially a one-trick pony and in a favorable
    >> situation for self-promotions by comparison.
    >>
    >> So you think that Google should spend more? Or that Microsoft could
    >> spend
    >> less? They are both very successful and you can't really argue with
    >> that.

    > Believe me, I'm not arguing about Goog;e's success. Rather, I asked what
    > their advertising budget was - a question which you seem to be avoiding
    > while
    > pretending to answer.

    Obviously their promotions budget is a billion and a half dollars a year.
    Are you thinking that the exact mixture of how they parcel it out is
    important? It is probably all advertising and I could not say what they
    spend for space advertising on television media.

    > Let me put it to you another way. I do remember seeing several Microsoft
    > T.V.
    > ads in the past. I don't recall a single Google one.
    > Perhaps your experience is different?

    I don't watch that much TV, mostly just Law and Order re-runs and CSI:Las
    Vegas. I've never seen a Google ad there or even a Microsoft ad, aldthough
    I have seen the Martin-Marietta and Boeing ads on occasion.

  15. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 17:57:48 GMT, Ralph Edwards wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    >> news:10iogipfpl70p$.1imo6vbyz8g84$.dlg@40tude.net. ..
    >>> On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:46:22 +0100, bbgruff wrote:
    >>> Oh, you want an example of a good commercial?
    >>>
    >>> Capital One--> What's in your wallet.....
    >>> Good commercial(s) (It's a series of different ones).
    >>>

    >> The old "Got Milk?" commercials were great! I wish all commercials were that
    >> good.

    > That was another good one.
    >
    > For you old timers, the "Don't Pollute" commercials from the late 60's
    > early 70's with the Indian (native American type not the call center type)

    He was neither type of Indian:

    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002014/
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002014/bio
    (((((
    > Biography for
    > Iron Eyes Cody

    > Date of Birth
    > 3 April 1907, Gueydan, Louisiana, USA
    >
    > Date of Death
    > 4 January 1999, Los Angeles, California, USA (natural causes)
    >
    > Birth Name
    > Espera Oscar DeCorti
    >
    > Nickname
    > The Crying Indian
    >
    > Mini Biography
    > Iron Eyes Cody was born Espera DeCorti, the son of two first-generation immigrants from Italy. In 1924 he moved to California, changed his name - already shortened from "DeCorti" to "Corti" - to Cody, and started working as an actor, presenting himself as a Native American. He married an Indian woman, Bertha Parker, and together they adopted two Indian sons. Iron Eyes Cody lived and worked as an Indian for all his adult life; he labored for decades to promote Native American causes, and was honored by Hollywood's Native American community in 1995 for his efforts.

    > He was the man who played the Indian that sheds a single tear for a blighted American environment in "Keep America Beautiful" ads that ran from 1971 into the 1980s.
    >
    > Cody's Native American heritage was challenged in 1996 by a New Orleans (Louisiana, USA) newspaper which reported that he was in fact of Italian ancestry, which he of course denied.

    )))))

    > crying a single tear was a classic one.
    >
    > Here it is:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ozVMxzNAA
    >
    > (Somehow it loses it's impact on YouTube?)

  16. Re: First of the Jerry Seinfeld Vista ads.

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:26:28 -0500, Matt wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 17:57:48 GMT, Ralph Edwards wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    >>> news:10iogipfpl70p$.1imo6vbyz8g84$.dlg@40tude.net. ..

    >>> The old "Got Milk?" commercials were great! I wish all commercials were that
    >>> good.

    >> That was another good one.
    >>
    >> For you old timers, the "Don't Pollute" commercials from the late 60's
    >> early 70's with the Indian (native American type not the call center type)

    > He was neither type of Indian:
    >
    > http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002014/
    > http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002014/bio
    > (((((
    >> Biography for
    >> Iron Eyes Cody

    >> Date of Birth
    >> 3 April 1907, Gueydan, Louisiana, USA
    >>
    >> Date of Death
    >> 4 January 1999, Los Angeles, California, USA (natural causes)
    >>
    >> Birth Name
    >> Espera Oscar DeCorti
    >>
    >> Nickname
    >> The Crying Indian
    >>
    >> Mini Biography
    >> Iron Eyes Cody was born Espera DeCorti, the son of two first-generation immigrants from Italy. In 1924 he moved to California, changed his name - already shortened from "DeCorti" to "Corti" - to Cody, and started working as an actor, presenting himself as a Native American. He married an Indian woman, Bertha Parker, and together they adopted two Indian sons. Iron Eyes Cody lived and worked as an Indian for all his adult life; he labored for decades to promote Native American causes, and was honored by Hollywood's Native American community in 1995 for his efforts.

    >> He was the man who played the Indian that sheds a single tear for a blighted American environment in "Keep America Beautiful" ads that ran from 1971 into the 1980s.
    >>
    >> Cody's Native American heritage was challenged in 1996 by a New Orleans (Louisiana, USA) newspaper which reported that he was in fact of Italian ancestry, which he of course denied.

    > )))))
    >

    >> crying a single tear was a classic one.
    >>
    >> Here it is:
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ozVMxzNAA
    >>
    >> (Somehow it loses it's impact on YouTube?)

    Who cares?
    The commercial was a good one.....

    I'll bet you were the kid at the birthday party who kept yelling at the
    magician "the rabbit is up your sleeve".