Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user - Linux ; Do not overestimate the importance of "games". Not all people play games, and I would hazard to guess that most people do not play games. I really could not give a flying fsck about games, personally. I want my computer ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

  1. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    Do not overestimate the importance of "games". Not all people play
    games, and I would hazard to guess that most people do not play
    games. I really could not give a flying fsck about games, personally.

    I want my computer to work reliably, to be able to automate it, to be
    sure that it is not taken over by "viruses", to be sure that it does
    what I want and not what some marketing department wants, etc.

    Hence, I use Linux. I am aware that I have maybe 1/100 of the games I
    could have on Windows, but do I really care? No.

  2. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    Ignoramus10032 writes:

    > Do not overestimate the importance of "games". Not all people play
    > games, and I would hazard to guess that most people do not play
    > games. I really could not give a flying fsck about games, personally.
    >
    > I want my computer to work reliably, to be able to automate it, to be
    > sure that it is not taken over by "viruses", to be sure that it does
    > what I want and not what some marketing department wants, etc.
    >
    > Hence, I use Linux. I am aware that I have maybe 1/100 of the games I
    > could have on Windows, but do I really care? No.

    But the rest of the people in the household might well do. Hence Linux's
    total failure to penetrate most home desktops.

    I had XP on my machine as dual boot until recently - purely for
    entertainment SW.

    --
    "Are Linux systems perfect. Uh, no."
    -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  3. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    On 2008-09-06, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus10032 writes:
    >
    >> Do not overestimate the importance of "games". Not all people play
    >> games, and I would hazard to guess that most people do not play
    >> games. I really could not give a flying fsck about games, personally.
    >>
    >> I want my computer to work reliably, to be able to automate it, to be
    >> sure that it is not taken over by "viruses", to be sure that it does
    >> what I want and not what some marketing department wants, etc.
    >>
    >> Hence, I use Linux. I am aware that I have maybe 1/100 of the games I
    >> could have on Windows, but do I really care? No.

    > But the rest of the people in the household might well do. Hence Linux's
    > total failure to penetrate most home desktops.

    So they could have their own Windows desktop. No big deal.

    > I had XP on my machine as dual boot until recently - purely for
    > entertainment SW.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    Ignoramus10032 writes:

    > On 2008-09-06, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus10032 writes:
    >>
    >>> Do not overestimate the importance of "games". Not all people play
    >>> games, and I would hazard to guess that most people do not play
    >>> games. I really could not give a flying fsck about games, personally.
    >>>
    >>> I want my computer to work reliably, to be able to automate it, to be
    >>> sure that it is not taken over by "viruses", to be sure that it does
    >>> what I want and not what some marketing department wants, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Hence, I use Linux. I am aware that I have maybe 1/100 of the games I
    >>> could have on Windows, but do I really care? No.

    >> But the rest of the people in the household might well do. Hence Linux's
    >> total failure to penetrate most home desktops.

    > So they could have their own Windows desktop. No big deal.

    Err, right. "No big deal". Just "another PC" to pay for, store etc.

    --
    "Who are you, ****knob?"
    -- Tattoo Vampire in alt.realestate, alt.real-estate, alt.real-estate-agents,

  5. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    Ignoramus10032 wrote:

    > Do not overestimate the importance of "games". Not all people play
    > games, and I would hazard to guess that most people do not play
    > games. I really could not give a flying fsck about games, personally.
    >
    > I want my computer to work reliably, to be able to automate it, to be
    > sure that it is not taken over by "viruses", to be sure that it does
    > what I want and not what some marketing department wants, etc.
    >
    > Hence, I use Linux. I am aware that I have maybe 1/100 of the games I
    > could have on Windows, but do I really care? No.

    That pretty much sums up my position, too. If I wanted to play games (not
    that I want to), I'd buy a game console like a PS3 or whatever. Trying to
    play games on commodity hardware like a PC is simply stupid!

    C.

  6. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    Christopher_Hunter writes:

    > Ignoramus10032 wrote:
    >
    >> Do not overestimate the importance of "games". Not all people play
    >> games, and I would hazard to guess that most people do not play
    >> games. I really could not give a flying fsck about games, personally.
    >>
    >> I want my computer to work reliably, to be able to automate it, to be
    >> sure that it is not taken over by "viruses", to be sure that it does
    >> what I want and not what some marketing department wants, etc.
    >>
    >> Hence, I use Linux. I am aware that I have maybe 1/100 of the games I
    >> could have on Windows, but do I really care? No.

    > That pretty much sums up my position, too. If I wanted to play games (not
    > that I want to), I'd buy a game console like a PS3 or whatever. Trying to
    > play games on commodity hardware like a PC is simply stupid!
    >
    > C.

    It is if you try to play modern PC games on Linux. Its why I dual booted
    for a while. Sigh. Another "I dont want therefore no one wants" moron. I
    suspect you know nothing about modern PC gaming. Rumour has it that its
    quite big business in the real world .... But hey! Dont take my word for
    it, go look at some of the modern stuff. You might just be surprised:

    Modern PCs play games faster and at higher resolutions than any console
    can hope to do. Yes, I'm sure you wont agree. Because you dont have a
    clue about modern entertainment SW or top level video cards.

    --
    "Your Ref header shows bt.com. The "kustomkomputer" troll nymshifted again?"
    -- William Poaster boring people to death with his header compulsion in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  7. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Ignoramus10032 writes:
    >
    >> So they could have their own Windows desktop. No big deal.

    > Err, right. "No big deal". Just "another PC" to pay for, store etc.

    Of course. Just keep the old XP one when you upgrade. And use the new
    one for Linux.

    Or vice versa.

    Old PCs that still work abound.

    --
    QOTD:
    "A child of 5 could understand this! Fetch me a child of 5."

  8. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    On 2008-09-06, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus10032 writes:

    >>> But the rest of the people in the household might well do. Hence Linux's
    >>> total failure to penetrate most home desktops.

    >> So they could have their own Windows desktop. No big deal.

    > Err, right. "No big deal". Just "another PC" to pay for, store etc.

    I have about 9 PCs at home...

    >>> I had XP on my machine as dual boot until recently - purely for
    >>> entertainment SW.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    Ignoramus10032 writes:

    > On 2008-09-06, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus10032 writes:

    >>> So they could have their own Windows desktop. No big deal.

    >> Err, right. "No big deal". Just "another PC" to pay for, store etc.
    >>

    > I have about 9 PCs at home...

    So what? We are not discussing "you" here. And why do you have 9? Surely
    one Suse 2.1 and 8 dumb terminals would be as good?....

    --
    "Asshole - you just started this thread to give you a few more opportunities
    to show off what an unmitigated prick you are."

  10. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    On 2008-09-06, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus10032 writes:

    >>> Err, right. "No big deal". Just "another PC" to pay for, store etc.
    >>>

    >> I have about 9 PCs at home...

    > So what? We are not discussing "you" here. And why do you have 9? Surely
    > one Suse 2.1 and 8 dumb terminals would be as good?....

    Three laptops, my Ubuntu and my wife's windows laptop, and my kid's
    ubuntu laptop, ubuntu basement server (my main PC) , ubuntu plasma TV
    computer, my kid's ubuntu desktop, my old Fedora PC, a future ubuntu
    PC for another plasma TV to come.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 18:39:22 -0500, Ignoramus10032 wrote:

    > On 2008-09-06, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus10032 writes:

    >>> I have about 9 PCs at home...

    >> So what? We are not discussing "you" here. And why do you have 9?
    >> Surely one Suse 2.1 and 8 dumb terminals would be as good?....

    > Three laptops, my Ubuntu and my wife's windows laptop, and my kid's
    > ubuntu laptop, ubuntu basement server (my main PC) , ubuntu plasma TV
    > computer, my kid's ubuntu desktop, my old Fedora PC, a future ubuntu PC
    > for another plasma TV to come.

    Wow.

  12. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    Hadron wrote:

    > Another "I dont want therefore no one wants" moron.

    You're a condescending, arrogant asshole, Quack.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ..../////////// POLICE TAGLINE - DO NOT CROSS \\\\\\\\\\\\\

    Good to the last supper

  13. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    Hadron wrote:

    > Err, right. "No big deal". Just "another PC" to pay for, store etc

    Why did you return to a group you were hounded out of, Quack?
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....My other vehicle is a Galaxy Class Starship

    Good to the last supper

  14. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Err, right. "No big deal". Just "another PC" to pay for, store etc

    > Why did you return to a group you were hounded out of, Quack?

    Aren't killfiles wonderful things? I didn't see that the HQ fool had
    returned! HQ's obviously a masochist...

    C.

  15. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    Christopher_Hunter writes:

    > Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Err, right. "No big deal". Just "another PC" to pay for, store etc

    >> Why did you return to a group you were hounded out of, Quack?

    Hounded out of? Once more for the hard of thinking : because of the
    fanboyz (think Christopher Hunter who is the most successful person in
    the world according to him, Tattoo Vampire and Willy Boaster) I decided
    to move to an adults distro. Well, that and Ubuntu was becoming a victim
    of its own overly optimistic release strategy. Hence Debian. I realise
    this is hard for you to understand.

    > Aren't killfiles wonderful things? I didn't see that the HQ fool had
    > returned! HQ's obviously a masochist...
    >
    > C.

    I bet you were glad to see the back of me you arrogant dipstick. Another
    one with zero idea of the real world.

    --
    " Are there any decent document editors that can open ODT files except
    OpenOffice.org? oowriter is so unstable with large files that it would

  16. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 00:51:27 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Another "I dont want therefore no one wants" moron.

    > You're a condescending, arrogant asshole, Quack.

    Ah yes, displaying the same attributes as he did in aolu.

    He is a self-proclaimed authority on everything, yet seems to know
    nothing but how to insult people.

    Major self-important asshole.

    From: Bill Baka
    Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008

    --
    ɐ ɯoɹɟ ʇuǝs sɐʍ ǝƃɐssǝɯ sıɥʇ
    pǝǝʇuɐɹɐnƃ sı ɥɔıɥʍ ɹǝʇndɯoɔ

  17. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 00:52:36 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Err, right. "No big deal". Just "another PC" to pay for, store etc

    > Why did you return to a group you were hounded out of, Quack?

    As the troll hasn't been there for a while, maybe he thinks a few of the
    regs have unplonked him by now. Though the quote below would seem apt.

    What you have to remember is that **** floats.
    Hadron always resurfaces.

    From: caver1
    Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2000

    --
    ɐ ɯoɹɟ ʇuǝs sɐʍ ǝƃɐssǝɯ sıɥʇ
    pǝǝʇuɐɹɐnƃ sı ɥɔıɥʍ ɹǝʇndɯoɔ
    ˙snɹıʌ ǝzopuıʍ $ɯ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝǝɹɟ %00⇂
    -- sɯǝʇsʎs xnuıl/nuƃ --

  18. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    William Poaster writes:

    > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 00:51:27 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Another "I dont want therefore no one wants" moron.

    >> You're a condescending, arrogant asshole, Quack.

    > Ah yes, displaying the same attributes as he did in aolu.

    Another "me too" from Willy.

    > He is a self-proclaimed authority on everything, yet seems to know
    > nothing but how to insult people.
    >
    > Major self-important asshole.
    >

    > From: Bill Baka
    > Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    > Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008

    Bill Baka? LOL.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

  19. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    CROSS-POST TO UBUNTU GROUP SNIPPED

    * Tattoo Vampire peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Another "I dont want therefore no one wants" moron.

    > You're a condescending, arrogant asshole, Quack.

    I wonder if Quack will put /that/ quote in his sigs.

    The inner conflict might generate a bubble-sac in his brainstem.

    --
    *** Topic for #redhat: ReDHaT is the answer to all your problems. It
    could be the start too!

  20. Re: Why Linux won't succeed - A view from an experienced user

    CROSSPOST SNIPPED

    * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> He is a self-proclaimed authority on everything, yet seems to know
    >> nothing but how to insult people.
    >>
    >> Major self-important asshole.

    Indeed.

    Being a

    >> Major self-important asshole.

    could be a prerequisite for being a program manager.

    > --
    > "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    > Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....
    > http://tinyurl.com/33672q

    The dude can't even format a sig.