News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows - Linux

  2. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    > Forget Seinfeld. Can Windows gurus help the Windows brand?
    >
    > - ----[ Quote ]
    >| Microsoft isn?t opening brick-and-mortar Microsoft stores. Instead, this
    >| holiday season, Microsoft will be hiring 150 or so Microsoft-trained ?Windows
    >| gurus? to work in retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City to help explain
    >| how Windows, Windows Live services and Windows Mobile PCs and devices work.
    >| The gurus will ?assist PC buyers, similar to the Nordstrom model of ?personal
    >| shoppers,? where the focus is more on informing and supporting the customer
    >| than on the actual sale,? according to Microsoft.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1570

    More margin erosion for Microsoft.

    --
    But modifying dpkg is infeasible, and we've agreed to, among other things,
    keep the needs of our users at the forefront of our minds. And from a

  3. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    On 2008-09-05, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > Forget Seinfeld. Can Windows gurus help the Windows brand?
    >
    > - ----[ Quote ]
    >| Microsoft isn’t opening brick-and-mortar Microsoft stores. Instead, this
    >| holiday season, Microsoft will be hiring 150 or so Microsoft-trained “Windows
    >| gurus” to work in retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City to help explain
    >| how Windows, Windows Live services and Windows Mobile PCs and devices work.
    >| The gurus will “assist PC buyers, similar to the Nordstrom model of ‘personal
    >| shoppers,’ where the focus is more on informing and supporting the customer
    >| than on the actual sale,” according to Microsoft.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1570

    Time to burn up a bunch of linux CDs and head off to Bestest Buy and
    Circus City for the holidays.

    --
    Windows: In what position would you like to be taken today?

  4. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    Sinister Midget wrote:
    > On 2008-09-05, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>
    >> Forget Seinfeld. Can Windows gurus help the Windows brand?
    >>
    >> - ----[ Quote ]
    >>> Microsoft isn?Tt opening brick-and-mortar Microsoft stores.
    >>> Instead, this holiday season, Microsoft will be hiring 150 or so
    >>> Microsoft-trained ?oWindows gurus? to work in retailers like
    >>> Best Buy and Circuit City to help explain
    >>> how Windows, Windows Live services and Windows Mobile PCs and
    >>> devices work.
    >>> The gurus will ?oassist PC buyers, similar to the Nordstrom model
    >>> of ?~personal shoppers,?T where the focus is more on informing
    >>> and supporting the customer than on the actual sale,? according
    >>> to Microsoft.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1570

    > Time to burn up a bunch of linux CDs and head off to Bestest Buy and
    > Circus City for the holidays.

    I wish you would.

    Take a videographer along and publish all the unedited footage of customers
    with puzzled looks followed by smirks and finally laughing and walking away
    as the Linux crapware slimes up on the screen. Let's see you curse the
    uncooperative compiz, bumble through interminable command line sessions with
    xorg.conf, download driver after driver, fail to detect your DVD player...
    you know, all that good stuff Linux excels at.

    Hey, for the finale you can show them vi and X-Moto! That'll clinch the
    sale...

    LMAO!!!!

  5. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 16:51:57 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-09-05, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>
    >> Forget Seinfeld. Can Windows gurus help the Windows brand?
    >>
    >> - ----[ Quote ]
    >>| Microsoft isn’t opening brick-and-mortar Microsoft stores. Instead, this
    >>| holiday season, Microsoft will be hiring 150 or so Microsoft-trained “Windows
    >>| gurus” to work in retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City to help explain
    >>| how Windows, Windows Live services and Windows Mobile PCs and devices work.
    >>| The gurus will “assist PC buyers, similar to the Nordstrom model of ‘personal
    >>| shoppers,’ where the focus is more on informing and supporting the customer
    >>| than on the actual sale,” according to Microsoft.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1570

    > Time to burn up a bunch of linux CDs and head off to Bestest Buy and
    > Circus City for the holidays.

    Maybe you can hire these guys?

    They will sure *bring in the live ones* !

    http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg

    Oh yea, make certain to bathe before you go so you don't get arrested for
    vagrancy.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

  7. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 00:34:19 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Sinister Midget on Saturday 06 September 2008 21:51 : \____
    >
    >> On 2008-09-05, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>>
    >>> Forget Seinfeld. Can Windows gurus help the Windows brand?
    >>>
    >>> - ----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1570

    >> Time to burn up a bunch of linux CDs and head off to Bestest Buy and
    >> Circus City for the holidays.

    > Just don't show Compiz-Fusion to shoppers. It makes Vista look very, very ugly.

    Assuming you have a degree in Computer Science to get it configured and
    theme'd up properly.

    It's a nightmare.

    Read all about it here.

    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    On 2008-09-07, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > ____/ Sinister Midget on Saturday 06 September 2008 21:51 : \____
    >
    >> On 2008-09-05, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>>
    >>> Forget Seinfeld. Can Windows gurus help the Windows brand?
    >>>
    >>> - ----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1570

    >> Time to burn up a bunch of linux CDs and head off to Bestest Buy and
    >> Circus City for the holidays.

    > Just don't show Compiz-Fusion to shoppers. It makes Vista look very, very ugly.

    Hopefully I can slip a CD into some machines and reboot a few of them.
    That should make the Microsofties earn their keep.

    It might not work, though. OEMs have pushed digital drives lower in the
    boot order than hard drives on most or all of the machines I run
    across. Most likely due to pressure from MS, since anybody wanting to
    boot a CD on a new machine must be a pirate or illegal linux user.

    I don't want to stand around dicking with BIOSes. Maybe I'll also need
    something portable.

    --
    "[Microsoft's] products just aren't engineered for security."
    -- Brian Valentine

  9. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1570

    > Time to burn up a bunch of linux CDs and head off to Bestest Buy and
    > Circus City for the holidays.

    I notice today that Staples is having another

    PC CLEARANCE !

    However, Office Depot is taking a more subdued approach with

    COMPUTER BLOWOUT!
    COMPUTER BLOWOUT!
    COMPUTER BLOWOUT!

    Machines with 2, 3, 4, and, in the case of one Windows Vista 64-bit
    machine, 6Gb of RAM.

    --
    Cloning is the sincerest form of flattery.

  10. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    ____/ Sinister Midget on Sunday 07 September 2008 09:02 : \____

    > On 2008-09-07, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>
    >> ____/ Sinister Midget on Saturday 06 September 2008 21:51 : \____
    >>
    >>> On 2008-09-05, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    >>> Time to burn up a bunch of linux CDs and head off to Bestest Buy and
    >>> Circus City for the holidays.

    >> Just don't show Compiz-Fusion to shoppers. It makes Vista look very, very
    >> ugly.

    > Hopefully I can slip a CD into some machines and reboot a few of them.
    > That should make the Microsofties earn their keep.

    Mandriva has Compiz and graphics drivers built in (also working out of the box
    with the Live/install CD).

    > It might not work, though. OEMs have pushed digital drives lower in the
    > boot order than hard drives on most or all of the machines I run
    > across. Most likely due to pressure from MS, since anybody wanting to
    > boot a CD on a new machine must be a pirate or illegal linux user.

    Someone in France did this just over a year ago. I think he called it
    PC-jacking, but I can't recall for sure.

    > I don't want to stand around dicking with BIOSes. Maybe I'll also need
    > something portable.

    - --
    "There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally signals
    publicly -- and their customers are using it..." --Paul DeGroot, a Directions
    On Microsoft analyst.

  11. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > ____/ Sinister Midget on Sunday 07 September 2008 09:02 : \____
    >
    >> On 2008-09-07, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>>
    >>> ____/ Sinister Midget on Saturday 06 September 2008 21:51 : \____

    >>> Just don't show Compiz-Fusion to shoppers. It makes Vista look very, very
    >>> ugly.

    >> Hopefully I can slip a CD into some machines and reboot a few of them.
    >> That should make the Microsofties earn their keep.

    > Mandriva has Compiz and graphics drivers built in (also working out of the box
    > with the Live/install CD).
    >
    >> It might not work, though. OEMs have pushed digital drives lower in the
    >> boot order than hard drives on most or all of the machines I run
    >> across. Most likely due to pressure from MS, since anybody wanting to
    >> boot a CD on a new machine must be a pirate or illegal linux user.

    > Someone in France did this just over a year ago. I think he called it
    > PC-jacking, but I can't recall for sure.
    >
    >> I don't want to stand around dicking with BIOSes. Maybe I'll also need
    >> something portable.

    Just to be sure we understand : you are advocating people PC-jacking
    machines in stores with Linux distros?

    You think someone seeing compiz in action (they wont since they wont
    know how to use it) will sell Linux to them?

    Are you mad?

    --
    - "Just think, consumers are not sold on XP, and Microsoft shelled out
    some major $$$ to develop this thing. This is a great opportunity for

  12. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    Hadron wrote:

    > Just to be sure we understand : you are advocating people PC-jacking
    > machines in stores with Linux distros?
    >
    > You think someone seeing compiz in action (they wont since they wont
    > know how to use it) will sell Linux to them?
    >
    > Are you mad?

    Not to mention the one time compiz worked for me fresh from the install, it
    left onscreen at all times a faint outline of the cube. Very bogus.

  13. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    "DFS" writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Just to be sure we understand : you are advocating people PC-jacking
    >> machines in stores with Linux distros?
    >>
    >> You think someone seeing compiz in action (they wont since they wont
    >> know how to use it) will sell Linux to them?
    >>
    >> Are you mad?

    > Not to mention the one time compiz worked for me fresh from the install, it
    > left onscreen at all times a faint outline of the cube. Very bogus.

    Compiz or whatever its "name of the day" is, is very impressive. I kept
    it for a few days before getting tired of it. Its like a spoilt kid -
    its antics are fun for a while but you soon get sick of the "look at me
    aren't I great" calls.

    It does absolutely nothing, of course, to sell Linux to the masses. Try
    getting wine to work.

    I tried to install Nolf 2 the other day. Apparently it should work. The
    install went almost flawlessly. When I ran the installed game though
    ... nothing. Not even a cursor flicker. Laughable. Not even a "this does
    not work" or "wine has detected an error" to go on.

    --
    "Asshole - you just started this thread to give you a few more opportunities
    to show off what an unmitigated prick you are."

  14. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    On 2008-09-07, Linonut claimed:
    > * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1570

    >> Time to burn up a bunch of linux CDs and head off to Bestest Buy and
    >> Circus City for the holidays.

    > I notice today that Staples is having another
    >
    > PC CLEARANCE !

    We don't have any of those around here.

    > However, Office Depot is taking a more subdued approach with
    >
    > COMPUTER BLOWOUT!
    > COMPUTER BLOWOUT!
    > COMPUTER BLOWOUT!
    >
    > Machines with 2, 3, 4, and, in the case of one Windows Vista 64-bit
    > machine, 6Gb of RAM.

    This is tempting, depending on prices.

    --
    I still miss Windows, but my aim is getting better.

  15. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-09-07, Linonut claimed:
    >> * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >> However, Office Depot is taking a more subdued approach with
    >>
    >> COMPUTER BLOWOUT!
    >> COMPUTER BLOWOUT!
    >> COMPUTER BLOWOUT!
    >>
    >> Machines with 2, 3, 4, and, in the case of one Windows Vista 64-bit
    >> machine, 6Gb of RAM.

    > This is tempting, depending on prices.

    Well, first ya have to double-check the screen resolution, to make sure
    they're not stiffin' ya on that.

    You already know you're getting stiffed on the operating system.

    Then you have to deal with rebates.

    --
    Offer may end without notice.

  16. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    On 2008-09-08, Linonut claimed:
    > * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On 2008-09-07, Linonut claimed:
    >>> * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>>
    >>> However, Office Depot is taking a more subdued approach with
    >>>
    >>> COMPUTER BLOWOUT!
    >>> COMPUTER BLOWOUT!
    >>> COMPUTER BLOWOUT!
    >>>
    >>> Machines with 2, 3, 4, and, in the case of one Windows Vista 64-bit
    >>> machine, 6Gb of RAM.

    >> This is tempting, depending on prices.

    > Well, first ya have to double-check the screen resolution, to make sure
    > they're not stiffin' ya on that.
    >
    > You already know you're getting stiffed on the operating system.
    >
    > Then you have to deal with rebates.

    It depends on the final cost. If it's truly a bowout, it's not going to
    be so bad. If it's marked down by 10%, it cheesy crap.

    Rebates? I thought everybody finally stopped trying to pull that scam.
    Office Max and Worst Buy dropped those goofy things long ago because
    everybody wised up to them.

    --
    Linux: A culture of repair.
    Windows: A culture of despair.

  17. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:17:40 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-09-08, Linonut claimed:
    >> * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-09-07, Linonut claimed:

    >>> This is tempting, depending on prices.

    >> Well, first ya have to double-check the screen resolution, to make sure
    >> they're not stiffin' ya on that.
    >>
    >> You already know you're getting stiffed on the operating system.
    >>
    >> Then you have to deal with rebates.

    > It depends on the final cost. If it's truly a bowout, it's not going to
    > be so bad. If it's marked down by 10%, it cheesy crap.
    >
    > Rebates? I thought everybody finally stopped trying to pull that scam.
    > Office Max and Worst Buy dropped those goofy things long ago because
    > everybody wised up to them.

    It is a scam.
    And no they have not stopped them.

    Ever notice how they always seem to either lose your proof, or you did
    something wrong or there was some crazy rule you didn't follow?

    Rebates are a scam IMHO.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

    * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Rebates? I thought everybody finally stopped trying to pull that scam.
    > Office Max and Worst Buy dropped those goofy things long ago because
    > everybody wised up to them.

    Office Depot and Staples here still use 'em, though they often are
    accompanied by an "instant rebate".

    --
    "Any news from the President on a successor?" he asked hopefully.
    "None," Anita replied. "She's having great difficulty finding someone

+ Reply to Thread