[News] Munchkins Attack at the Claim of Linux Ease of Use - Linux

  1. [News] Munchkins Attack at the Claim of Linux Ease of Use

    Why I Use Linux

    ,----[ Quoye ]
    | I use Linux because its easy to use.
    |
    | And now every Windows user reading this is laughing and screaming insults at
    | me. “Linux isn’t easy to use, you f*ing moron! I tried to use Ubuntu and I
    | couldn’t even get it to boot. Linux is so weird and hard to use, you need to
    | read twenty pages of documentation before you can even partition the hard
    | drive. I spent three weeks messing with Linux and I couldn’t get my sound
    | card to work.” Blah blah blah. The reasons and examples why Linux is so hard
    | to use are almost endless.
    |
    | But yes, I do think Linux is easy to use.
    `----

    http://42gems.com/?p=108

    Days ago:

    KDE for Grannies

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now I’m looking forward to the first email from my Granny. Yes, I’m
    | incredibly proud of her.
    |
    | And I’m happy about all the effort that was taken to make KDE applications
    | easy to use and easy to understand. Even for Grannies.
    `----

    http://untangled.biz/blog/kde/kde-for-grannies/

    Related:

    Sometimes I just want to be stupid

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | All of this graphical and auto-magic installation goodness has made
    | me mentally fat and lazy, we'll leave the physical out of this. I
    | now expect this wondrous GUI-ness all the time, and when it's not
    | there, the small nerve in my neck, that lets itself be known when
    | I'm frustrated, starts to signal its existence. Now with the
    | hundreds of packages that are available on Linux, you would think
    | I would know better than to expect everything to be point and
    | click. Actually, I do know better and I should be happy with that.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...t_to_be_stupid

    More Pleasant Surprises with Ubuntu

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As I continue to test and work with Ubuntu, I have come across a few more
    | very pleasant surprises:
    |
    | - I plugged in my Logitech V20 Notebook Speakers (USB). They worked.
    |
    | - I plugged in my Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Deluxe. It worked. No muss,
    | no fuss, so searching for drivers, it just worked.
    |
    | - I plugged in my Canon BJC-55 printer. It worked. I printed a test page on
    | it, and it came out perfect. This really is getting quite impressive.
    |
    | - I plugged in my Philips SPC1300NC webcam, and although it is recognized and
    | identified correctly, it doesn't seem to work. This is a bit surprising,
    | since it is a UVC-compatible device, I'll have to look into it a bit more.
    `----

    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...tm?new_comment

    Secure doesn’t mean anything.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are other security goals one can implement, these are only examples.
    | The first two are probably the most important for most users. The main thing
    | I want people who read this to take away is that there is no such thing as
    | a ’secure system’ or ‘added on security’ or ‘baked in security’. Security by
    | itself doesn’t mean anything. Users need to determine their threat model and
    | security goals in order to determine what measures need to be taken in order
    | to protect what they want protected. * * *
    `----

    http://securityblog.org/brindle/2008...mean-anything/

    Mandriva One Not the Linux Dinosaur of Old

    ,----[ Overview ]
    | I found early versions of Linux weren't very user-friendly, so this
    | time around, I used my 7-year-old son as my test subject. I gave him a
    | little lesson on how to use Mandriva One and off he went. On his own, he
    | was able to boot up the machine and get himself online to his favorite
    | kid Web sites without any problems at all -- meaning today's Linux has
    | a short learning curve.
    `----

    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/53627.html

  2. Re: [News] Munchkins Attack at the Claim of Linux Ease of Use

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Why I Use Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quoye ]
    > | I use Linux because its easy to use.
    > |
    > | And now every Windows user reading this is laughing and screaming
    > | insults at me. ?Linux isn?t easy to use, you f*ing moron! I tried to use
    > | Ubuntu and I couldn?t even get it to boot. Linux is so weird and hard to
    > | use, you need to read twenty pages of documentation before you can even
    > | partition the hard drive. I spent three weeks messing with Linux and I
    > | couldn?t get my sound card to work.? Blah blah blah. The reasons and
    > | examples why Linux is so hard to use are almost endless.
    > |
    > | But yes, I do think Linux is easy to use.

    pfft!
    Linux is easy to use - anyone who tried it will tell you what
    the score is!!!

    All it does is make the munchkins look more desperate like
    the marketing fools they are spliffing away to escape reality.

    For most users its not a case of if they will switch to Linux,
    its a case of when.

    > `----
    >
    > http://42gems.com/?p=108

  3. Re: [News] Munchkins Attack at the Claim of Linux Ease of Use

    7 wrote:

    > For most users its not a case of if they will switch to Linux,
    > its a case of when.

    blah blah blah blah blah... it's 2008 and you're still using Windows to make
    a living, little fraud. So are virtually all Linux "advocates*".

    So when is "when" going to arrive? Never, that's when.

  4. Re: [News] Munchkins Attack at the Claim of Linux Ease of Use

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 22:47:01 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Why I Use Linux

    Wow!
    Some nut on a Linux blog spouts about how easy Linux is to use and of
    course you, being the paid SPAMMER you are, Roy Schestowitz, jump on it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb

    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: [News] Munchkins Attack at the Claim of Linux Ease of Use

    "DFS" writes:

    > 7 wrote:
    >
    >> For most users its not a case of if they will switch to Linux,
    >> its a case of when.

    > blah blah blah blah blah... it's 2008 and you're still using Windows to make
    > a living, little fraud. So are virtually all Linux "advocates*".
    >
    > So when is "when" going to arrive? Never, that's when.

    DFS has him nailed by calling him "Little guy". It just seems to fit.

    --
    "Asshole - you just started this thread to give you a few more opportunities
    to show off what an unmitigated prick you are."

  6. Re: [News] Munchkins Attack at the Claim of Linux Ease of Use

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:ybjwk.53761$E41.46525@text.news.virginmedia.c om...
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Why I Use Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quoye ]
    >> | I use Linux because its easy to use.
    >> |
    >> | And now every Windows user reading this is laughing and screaming
    >> | insults at me. ?Linux isn?t easy to use, you f*ing moron! I tried to
    >> use
    >> | Ubuntu and I couldn?t even get it to boot. Linux is so weird and hard
    >> | use, you need to read twenty pages of documentation before you can even
    >> | partition the hard drive. I spent three weeks messing with Linux and I
    >> | couldn?t get my sound card to work.? Blah blah blah. The reasons and
    >> | examples why Linux is so hard to use are almost endless.
    >> |
    >> | But yes, I do think Linux is easy to use.

    > pfft!

    A sign of a deflating ego?

    > Linux is easy to use - anyone who tried it will tell you what
    > the score is!!!

    Let's ask Linus himself!
    http://digg.com/linux_unix/Linus_Tor...or_Linux_Coder

    > All it does is make the munchkins look more desperate like
    > the marketing fools they are spliffing away to escape reality.
    >
    > For most users its not a case of if they will switch to Linux,
    > its a case of when.

    You can, but please don't use page up / page down!
    http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-218626.html

  7. Re: [News] Munchkins Attack at the Claim of Linux Ease of Use

    On 2008-09-06, DFS wrote:
    > 7 wrote:
    >
    >> For most users its not a case of if they will switch to Linux,
    >> its a case of when.

    > blah blah blah blah blah... it's 2008 and you're still using Windows to make
    > a living, little fraud. So are virtually all Linux "advocates*".

    ....that would be not a matter of "what's" easier.

    That's an issue of 3rd party support.

    In my own field, a "free workalike" came to be more useful and usable
    than it's commercial equivalent which was considered the "standard".
    This was a very expensive bit of software. It was far more expensive
    than it should have been given it's feautres. But people pay it because
    it sits within the realm of even more expensive software.

    Anyways, the commercial "gold standard" app has managed to suffer
    feature creep and is now less useful than the freeware replacement.
    The most unfortunate part of the situation is that the commercial
    vendor hired the author of the freeware.

    They "bought out" the competition.

    > So when is "when" going to arrive? Never, that's when.

    --

    Unfortunately, the universe will not conform itself to
    your fantasies. You have to manage based on what really happens |||