[News] Google Represents Netscape-like Threat to Convicted Criminal - Linux

  1. [News] Google Represents Netscape-like Threat to Convicted Criminal

    Does Windows Still Matter?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | “Chrome is not going to replace Windows. A computer requires an operating
    | system such as Windows, Apple’s OS X or Linux to make the machine work.
    | It does, however, have the potential to do what Mr. Gates feared: make
    | the choice of operating system less important.”
    |
    | So writes John Gapper, the fine columnist for The Financial Times in today’s
    | paper. Chrome, of course, is Google’s new browser, which is pretty explicitly
    | designed to be a Windows killer. As Mr. Gapper notes, that precise fear —
    | that an Internet browser could become such a powerful platform for
    | applications software that it would effectively take over the function of the
    | operating system — is what caused Microsoft to start the browser wars in the
    | 1990s, effectively putting Netscape out of business.
    `----

    http://executivesuite.blogs.nytimes....ill-matter/?hp
    http://tinyurl.com/6cqbhm

    Related:

    Ten years of Mozilla

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ten years ago, Netscape announced it would release to the public the code of
    | its flag ship product, Netscape Communicator 5, making it an open source
    | product. The action came at a time when Netscape was still the dominant web
    | browser: 65 million users and 90% market share in the educational segment
    | according to Netscape’s own accounts. But Microsoft’s Internet Explorer was
    | grabbing share at a furious pace thanks to it being free (at a time Netscape
    | was about$30) and specially the fact that it came bundled with Windows 95 and
    | upcoming Windows 98 (released on June 1998). * * *
    `----

    http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/01/t...rs-of-mozilla/

    Gates deposition videos

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Boies: Do you remember that in January, 1996, a lot of OEMs were
    | bundling non-Microsoft browsers?
    |
    | Gates: I'm not sure.
    |
    | Boies: What were the non-Microsoft browsers that you were
    | concerned about in January of 1996?
    |
    | Gates: What's the question? You're trying to get me to recall
    | what other browsers I was thinking about when I wrote that sentence?
    |
    | Boies: No, because you've told me that you don't know what you
    | were thinking about when you wrote that sentence.
    |
    | Gates: Right.
    |
    | Boies: What I'm trying to do is get you to tell me what
    | non-Microsoft browsers you were concerned about in January of
    | 1996. If it had been only one, I probably would have used the
    | name of it. Instead I seem to be using the term non-Microsoft
    | browsers. My question is what non-Microsoft browsers were you
    | concerned about in January of 1996?
    |
    | Gates: I'm sure -- what's the question? Is it -- are you asking
    | me about when I wrote this e-mail or what are you asking me about?
    |
    | Boies: I'm asking you about January of 1996.
    |
    | Gates: That month?
    |
    | Boies: Yes, sir.
    |
    | Gates: And what about it?
    |
    | Boies: What non-Microsoft browsers were you concerned about in
    | January of 1996?
    |
    | Gates: I don't know what you mean "concerned."
    |
    | Boies: What is it about the word "concerned" that you don't
    | understand?
    |
    | Gates: I'm not sure what you mean by it.
    `----

    http://wincent.com/a/about/wincent/w..._depositio.php

    Gates Deposition Audio and Video

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/i...page=GatesDepo

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02991.pdf

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "3. INTERNET EXPLORER: Unless specifically requested to the contrary
    | by the end user of the Customer System and provided proper
    | translation is available, COMPANY will ship MS Internet Explorer
    | 2.0, and the most current subsequent higher version Product
    | Releases and Version Releases thereof, preinstalled on all
    | new Customer Systems..."
    `----

    http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowacons...00/PX02346.pdf

  2. Re: [News] Google Represents Netscape-like Threat to Convicted Criminal

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 23:31:38 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Does Windows Still Matter?

    As long as desktop Linux sits at less than 1 percent of market share,
    yes....

    even the iPhone is about to surpass Linux for browsing according to popular
    sites.

    It must really suck when after 15 years of being free, Linux is still not
    wanted.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Google Represents Netscape-like Threat to Convicted Criminal

    On 2008-09-04, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Does Windows Still Matter?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| ?Chrome is not going to replace Windows. A computer requires an operating
    >| system such as Windows, Apple?s OS X or Linux to make the machine work.
    >| It does, however, have the potential to do what Mr. Gates feared: make
    >| the choice of operating system less important.?
    >|
    >| So writes John Gapper, the fine columnist for The Financial Times in today?s
    >| paper. Chrome, of course, is Google?s new browser, which is pretty explicitly
    >| designed to be a Windows killer. As Mr. Gapper notes, that precise fear ?
    >| that an Internet browser could become such a powerful platform for
    >| applications software that it would effectively take over the function of the
    >| operating system ? is what caused Microsoft to start the browser wars in the
    >| 1990s, effectively putting Netscape out of business.
    > `----
    >
    > http://executivesuite.blogs.nytimes....ill-matter/?hp
    > http://tinyurl.com/6cqbhm

    Yep... You know, MS may just do what they did with Netscape here - pour tons
    of cash into IE and actually advance it. And it wouldn't take much work...

    About the only thing that I see that Chrome has (I haven't had a chance to try
    it, because the install refuses to work on my test machine) that IE or FireFox
    don't have is a fast JavaScript engine.... And that because it is JIT
    compiled - wait, MS has had such an animal since 2000. It's the JScript
    engine in .NET A little tweaking and host it in IE and they're done.

    --
    Tom Shelton

+ Reply to Thread