Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Microsoft, IBM mentioned as big winners in gaining server share, s/w. Gee, no mention of Linux or Apache--why is that?

    On 2008-09-07, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Sep 6, 3:21*pm, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > .
    >>
    >> > Yes, I agree. For that < 1% market share.

    >> Are you trying to tell people that Linux has less than a 1 percent
    >> "market share" in the server market?

    > Could be--it's hard to tell. Remember, Apache now is ported to run
    > under Windows.

    Rubbish... at least 20 percent.. and that's the figure given by
    Microsoft shills.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  2. Re: Microsoft, IBM mentioned as big winners in gaining server share, s/w. Gee, no mention of Linux or Apache--why is that?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Microsoft, IBM mentioned as big winners in gaining server share, s/w.
    > Gee, no mention of Linux or Apache--why is that?

    Well, gee, maybe because the article is about the *server* market and the
    server market deals with hardware? You think?

    The article doesn't mention anything about Microsoft's server share -- it
    only adds at the end that "Microsoft Corp. was another big winner in the
    quarter by capturing the single largest amount of spending on software, IDC
    said."

    Really? My goodness, that *is* news. Kind of irrelevant to the article, but
    news all the same.

    So how many of these IBM, HP, Dell and Sun servers were sold running Linux?
    The article doesn't mention that. Since all four corporations are making
    Linux a big part of their server strategy -- I would say quite a few.

    Another "say-nothing" use of an article by a WinTroll FUDdite. What a
    surprise.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: Microsoft, IBM mentioned as big winners in gaining server share,s/w. Gee, no mention of Linux or Apache--why is that?

    On Sep 8, 8:22*am, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > On 2008-09-07, raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    > > On Sep 6, 3:21*pm, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > > .

    > >> Are you trying to tell people that Linux has less than a 1 percent
    > >> "market share" in the server market?

    This 1 percent figure is based on a flawed BROWSER survey in which
    Linux systems have to be specially configured to even be counted.

    Microsoft also likes to brag that 99.5% of all PCs are sold with
    Windows preinstalled. One might also notice that their license
    volumes typically exceed the number of PCs sold. No claims that all
    of those PCs remain configured that way.

    > > Could be--it's hard to tell. *Remember, Apache now is ported to run
    > > under Windows.

    Yes, but normally, if you are running Windows, you don't choose
    Apache, because Apache runs much slower on Windows than on Linux or
    Unix.

    > Rubbish... at least 20 percent.. and that's the figure given by
    > Microsoft shills.

    That's probably not too far off, - by revenue. Remember that Windows
    servers need more memory, more CPU, more hard drive space, and more
    bandwidth than an equivalent Linux server. This means you can put
    more Linux server images on a virtualized server. There is also less
    redundancy with Linux and Linux machines can perform multiple
    functions in a single server or Virtual Image, reducing the number of
    virtual images needed.

    The benefits are lower TCO, higher ROI, and more flexibility,
    including a clear migration path to larger hardware including Linux on
    mainframes, or UNIX.

    > Regards,
    > Gregory.
    > Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

    Rex

  4. Re: Microsoft, IBM mentioned as big winners in gaining server share, s/w. Gee, no mention of Linux or Apache--why is that?

    Rex Ballard writes:

    >> > Perhaps very small companies, like the ones you work for. *I do a lot
    >> > of work for $billion/year or more companies, especially Fortune 500.

    >> This is not "most companies".

    > OK, now I get it. You want to count all of the single person self-
    > employed consultants who do freelance work on a 1099 instead of a W4
    > as a "Company". I supposed that is factually correct, that would
    > certainly be a lot more companies.

    Erm no. All the companies which do not deal with IBM. Which is, of
    course, most of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2