Sorry, this product is now discontinued... - Linux

This is a discussion on Sorry, this product is now discontinued... - Linux ; ....and is no longer available for sale on the Ebuyer.com website. ESYS EPC-40909UK Computer System Celeron 2.53GHZ 256MB 80GB 2MB 16X DVD Rom. Linux http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120278...roduct_reviews And none of their desktops or laptops come with Linux, or offer it as an ...

  1. Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    ....and is no longer available for sale on the Ebuyer.com website.

    ESYS EPC-40909UK Computer System Celeron 2.53GHZ 256MB 80GB 2MB 16X DVD Rom.
    Linux

    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120278...roduct_reviews

    And none of their desktops or laptops come with Linux, or offer it as an
    option.

    "Microsoft is doomed!"

  2. Re: Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:36:32 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > ...and is no longer available for sale on the Ebuyer.com website.
    >
    > ESYS EPC-40909UK Computer System Celeron 2.53GHZ 256MB 80GB 2MB 16X DVD Rom.
    > Linux
    >

    > http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120278...roduct_reviews
    >

    > And none of their desktops or laptops come with Linux, or offer it as an
    > option.
    >

    > "Microsoft is doomed!"

    Probably because they couldn't sell them.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:36:32 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> ...and is no longer available for sale on the Ebuyer.com website.
    >>
    >> ESYS EPC-40909UK Computer System Celeron 2.53GHZ 256MB 80GB 2MB 16X
    >> DVD Rom. Linux
    >>

    >> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120278...roduct_reviews
    >>

    >> And none of their desktops or laptops come with Linux, or offer it
    >> as an option.
    >>

    >> "Microsoft is doomed!"

    > Probably because they couldn't sell them.

    Back when they did sell them, I read through all the reviews and comments
    and about half wiped Linux and installed XP.

  4. Re: Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 23:52:05 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:36:32 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...and is no longer available for sale on the Ebuyer.com website.
    >>>
    >>> ESYS EPC-40909UK Computer System Celeron 2.53GHZ 256MB 80GB 2MB 16X
    >>> DVD Rom. Linux
    >>>

    >>> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120278...roduct_reviews
    >>>

    >>> And none of their desktops or laptops come with Linux, or offer it
    >>> as an option.
    >>>

    >>> "Microsoft is doomed!"

    >> Probably because they couldn't sell them.

    > Back when they did sell them, I read through all the reviews and comments
    > and about half wiped Linux and installed XP.

    Only half?

    In China the vast majority of the people buy the Linux loaded systems,
    because they are inexpensive, and they wipe Linux and install pirated
    Windows.

    Says a lot about how people dislike Linux when they are willing to go
    through that much trouble to get rid of Linux and run pirated software.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    DFS wrote:

    > ...and is no longer available for sale on the Ebuyer.com website.
    >
    > ESYS EPC-40909UK Computer System Celeron 2.53GHZ 256MB 80GB 2MB 16X DVD
    > Rom. Linux
    >

    > http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120278...roduct_reviews
    >

    > And none of their desktops or laptops come with Linux, or offer it as an
    > option.
    >

    > "Microsoft is doomed!"

    Maybe because this product HAS been discontinued. It is being replaced with
    a new version running the Intel Atom processor.

    Ian

  6. Re: Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    * Ian Hilliard peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> ...and is no longer available for sale on the Ebuyer.com website.
    >>
    >> ESYS EPC-40909UK Computer System Celeron 2.53GHZ 256MB 80GB 2MB 16X DVD
    >> Rom. Linux
    >>
    >> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120278...roduct_reviews
    >>
    >> And none of their desktops or laptops come with Linux, or offer it as an
    >> option.
    >>
    >> "Microsoft is doomed!"

    > Maybe because this product HAS been discontinued. It is being replaced with
    > a new version running the Intel Atom processor.

    I never would have thought this possible, that you actually have to
    assume up-front, no questions asked, that someone is /lying/, until
    proven otherwise.

    My nascent trust in human nature seems to be a disadvantage here.

    Fie!

    --
    It is a period of system war. User programs, striking from a hidden
    directory, have won their first victory against the evil Administrative Empire.

  7. Re: Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    Of course you do, with DFS, Quack, ****, Rat, Flatfish, et al...

    > My nascent trust in human nature seems to be a disadvantage here.

    You are stretching the definition of "human" with the above group.

  8. Re: Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    Hadron wrote:
    >> I carried out a test on a board that I got in for testing. The board ran
    >> Ubuntu fine. I then put a test copy of XP on it and it ran all right for a
    >> couple of days under child control until it got clogged with
    >> malware. I

    > Aha. You neglected to mention you installed your virus protection after
    > your machine had been infected.

    Erm... so, are you now claiming that he installed the security software on
    an already infected machine?

    > I wonder why you did that?
    >
    > I wonder what you expected?

    Perhaps he was TESTING to see HOW LONG his machine would run WITHOUT being
    infected and what IMPACT such infections would HAVE?

    Duuuuh.

    >> then reinstalled and put a freeware firewall, virus scanner and spyware
    >> scanner on it. It was then that media from the net started getting jerky.

    Another chance to brush up one your remedial english perhaps, Quack?
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  9. Re: Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:17:07 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Perhaps he was TESTING to see HOW LONG his machine would run WITHOUT being
    > infected and what IMPACT such infections would HAVE?

    Been there and done that, on teenager's machine.
    Give it a couple of days and the system will be loaded to the gunwales with
    *crap*.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>> I carried out a test on a board that I got in for testing. The board ran
    >>> Ubuntu fine. I then put a test copy of XP on it and it ran all right for a
    >>> couple of days under child control until it got clogged with
    >>> malware. I

    >> Aha. You neglected to mention you installed your virus protection after
    >> your machine had been infected.

    > Erm... so, are you now claiming that he installed the security software on
    > an already infected machine?
    >
    >> I wonder why you did that?
    >>
    >> I wonder what you expected?

    > Perhaps he was TESTING to see HOW LONG his machine would run WITHOUT being
    > infected and what IMPACT such infections would HAVE?
    >
    > Duuuuh.

    Duuuh indeed. We were discussing the impact a virus checker has on a
    running, virus free, machine has. Clearly if you install something on an
    infected machine and it then does a full sweep it will use up
    resources. Duh!

    Duh!

    >>> then reinstalled and put a freeware firewall, virus scanner and spyware
    >>> scanner on it. It was then that media from the net started getting jerky.

    > Another chance to brush up one your remedial english perhaps, Quack?

    Another chance for you to go red in the face and read the damn thread
    before calling people illiterate again.

    --
    "Hey, who needs mp3, wma, acc when we can have ogg?"
    -- "Moshe Goldfarb." in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  11. Re: Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    Hadron wrote:
    >> Perhaps he was TESTING to see HOW LONG his machine would run WITHOUT being
    >> infected and what IMPACT such infections would HAVE?
    >>
    >> Duuuuh.

    > Duuuh indeed. We were discussing the impact a virus checker has on a
    > running, virus free, machine has. Clearly if you install something on an
    > infected machine and it then does a full sweep it will use up
    > resources. Duh!

    Where on earth did he state anything about installing a virus scanner ON AN
    INFECTED MACHINE?!

    >> Another chance to brush up one your remedial english perhaps, Quack?

    > Another chance for you to go red in the face and read the damn thread
    > before calling people illiterate again.

    Oh, I wasn't calling you illiterate, I've already gone through that.
    I know you can read... You just can't feckin UNDERSTAND what you're reading.
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  12. Re: Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    Hadron wrote:
    > Yes. You're right. I did indeed misread.
    >
    > Apologies to Halliwell as well.
    >
    > A big "Duh" for me on that one....

    /me faints.

  13. Re: Sorry, this product is now discontinued...

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Yes. You're right. I did indeed misread.
    >>
    >> Apologies to Halliwell as well.
    >>
    >> A big "Duh" for me on that one....

    > /me faints.

    Should have seen my face when I realised I had missed the "reinstall"
    .... It was a real Homer "Doh!" moment ...

    --
    "Maybe you can buy a Saturday Night Special and blow your POS brains out."
    -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy

+ Reply to Thread