[News] Google planning new Chrome browser based on WebKit - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Google planning new Chrome browser based on WebKit - Linux ; A Google blogger has published an illustrated document outlining Google Chrome, a new web browser project based on Apple's WebKit open source rendering engine. [Described in comic book form... Chrome will be] distributed under a Creative Commons license. Most of ...

  1. [News] Google planning new Chrome browser based on WebKit

    A Google blogger has published an illustrated document outlining
    Google Chrome, a new web browser project based on Apple's WebKit open
    source rendering engine.

    [Described in comic book form... Chrome will be] distributed under a
    Creative Commons license.

    Most of Google's existing products are web-base applications. A Google
    browser has been long rumored, in part to keep Microsoft from
    controlling all access to the browser platform across Windows PCs.
    Google has been financing Mozilla Firefox development with the same
    intention.

    ....Google's V8 compiles JavaScript into native source code. It also
    allows for better garbage collection of expired memory and dynamic
    optimization based on hidden class transitions...

    In addition to visual enhancements of the user interface, Google is
    also attacking the inherently single-threaded model of browsers, which
    results in delays while the browser waits for a JavaScript to finish
    executing. Rather than making the browser multithreaded, the report
    depicts the new browser using a multi-process design that runs each
    browser tab as its own process...

    Each tab is also sandboxed for security, although any web plugins,
    such as Adobe Flash or Microsoft Silverlight, will not respect this
    security model by design, because the existing web plugin model
    automatically gives them privileges on the same level or higher than
    the browser.

    The document notes that "with some small changes on the part of plugin
    makers, we can get them to run at a lower privilege which would be
    much much safer." It also notes that Chrome will present each plugin
    in the browser's task manager so users are aware of which plugins are
    hogging available RAM, "placing blame where blame belongs," a shot
    clearly fired toward fat third-party plugins....

    Rather than allowing JavaScript to popup ads from any web page in the
    background or in the user's face, Chrome will attach JavaScript
    notices to the browser window and tab from which they originated.

    The new browser will also get updated info on malware sites to help
    rapidly warn users of phishing attacks that have been discovered
    (phishing schemes usually get taken down with a day or a few days).
    Google will also be exposing this system as a public API other
    browsers can use.

    In order to track down bugs and problems with various web sites, the
    document outlined Google's ability to automate testing of new builds
    against tens of thousands of websites within minutes. It also notes
    that Google's own Page Rank information will be used to direct testing
    toward the popular sites people actually use regularly....

    By offering Chrome, Gears, V8 and other components as open source,
    Google hopes to bring all web browsers up to modern standards capable
    of running the kinds of web apps the company is delivering now and
    laying a foundation for a future of even more sophisticated apps that
    run on the web platform using interoperable standards anyone can
    implement.

    Google's Chrome will give a huge push behind the efforts of Firefox,
    Opera, and Safari to create a more open, interoperable web enabled to
    run a sophisticated new generation of web client server apps.

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...on_webkit.html

  2. Re: [News] Google gives linux the finger (planning new Chrome browser based on WebKit)

    wrote in message

    > A Google blogger has published an illustrated document outlining
    > Google Chrome, a new web browser project based on Apple's WebKit open
    > source rendering engine.
    >
    > [Described in comic book form... Chrome will be] distributed under a
    > Creative Commons license.

    Comic book form. Sort of like comedy? But comedy is so wrong and low-brow
    when MS hires Jerry Seinfeld. But when Google uses comedy in a comic book
    suddenly it's okay?

    Let's not leave this part of the article out. The part where Google supports
    Windows and treats linux users like 2nd class citizens:

    The browser is available for free download in 100 countries starting
    Tuesday. Initially it will only work on Windows computers, though versions
    for Mac and Linux operating systems are being developed.