[News] Free New Facilities for Free Software CD Burning in India - Linux

  1. [News] Free New Facilities for Free Software CD Burning in India

    Free software vending machine

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Freedom toaster,’ a free software CD/DVD vending machine, will be launched at
    | Technopark in the city on Monday.
    |
    | The Toaster is designed and developed by Zyxware Technologies and promoted
    | jointly by Zyxware Technologies and GNU/Linux Users Group Trivandrum.
    `----

    http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/01/stor...0160450300.htm

    Related:

    Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A few weeks ago, the Government formally ordered that only free Linux-based
    | software should be used for IT education in high schools, using new the Linux
    | text books developed by State Council for Educational Research and Training
    | and the Free Software Foundation of India. *
    `----

    http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html

    Kerala On Linux Express Highway

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
    | express highway.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
    | sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
    `----

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/ful...16139&magid=11

    Recent:

    Bring 'n burn

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Designed initially to provide access to open source software at grass-roots
    | levels, the Freedom Toaster is a computer kiosk that allows anyone to copy
    | from its library of open source software and operating systems onto blank
    | CDs – referred to as toasting in the Linux community. The concept proved so
    | popular that the Foundation decided to make the operating design available
    | for free in its quest to bridge the digital divide and provide ever present
    | access to information. Locally the relatively high cost of computer equipment
    | still proved a stumbling block and the organisation decided it needed to
    | develop a sustainable business strategy to better meet the demand for
    | toasters.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Will Freedom Toasters one day be as accessible as cash machines? Who knows?
    | What is for certain is that I will be following the evolution of what is fast
    | becoming an ‘open source icon’ with interest in the future.
    `----

    http://www.instrumentation.co.za/reg...RegularId=3685

    Unisa toasts open source success

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It uses a customised open source operating system that allows the kiosks to
    | burn multiple disks at once.
    `----

    http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/soft...20Source&A=LIN

    Free software, freely available

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source software costs nothing to own, and now costs nothing to obtain
    | thanks to a group of entrepreneurs determined to get around the problem of
    | expensive bandwidth in South Africa.
    |
    | The Freedom Toaster originally started in 2005 as a project by the
    | Shuttleworth Foundation as a software kiosk where anyone can burn -
    | or "toast" in Linux jargon - open source software such as Linux and other
    | information onto CDs and DVDs.
    |
    | "One challenge in developing countries is that free software is generally
    | distributed online, and in those countries the bandwidth is often expensive
    | or non-existent so free software does not reach those communities that most
    | stand to benefit from it," said Mark Shuttleworth. "The Freedom Toaster is a
    | way of making free software, and in fact many forms of free content,
    | available in these places."
    `----

    http://www.news24.com/News24/Technol...381616,00.html

    Bridging the African digital divide - with a ‘toaster’

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The foundation was convincing schools and even government offices to switch
    | to Linux, the open-source equivalent of Microsoft Windows or Mac OS.
    |
    | “We were getting a lot of people excited about it,” Hudson says. But when new
    | fans asked how to get their hands on the newest version of Linux, the answer
    | was always the same: Download it. “We’d see their shoulders slump,” he
    | says. “We had a clear message, we were getting out there and talking to
    | people, but we were clearly falling short.”
    |
    | Then he started thinking – why not make a software vending machine where,
    | instead of having to download large files, a user could just burn them to a
    | CD?
    |
    | It so happened that the MTN Sciencentre in Cape Town was about to have an
    | exhibition on open-source computing, and Hudson convinced his bosses to let
    | him try to design a prototype that would burn a small selection of
    | open-source software, including Linux, to CDs.
    `----

    http://features.csmonitor.com/innova...ster%E2%80%99/
    http://tinyurl.com/5geddf

  2. Re: [News] Free New Facilities for Free Software CD Burning in India

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 14:11:51 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Free software vending machine

    They have those in various parts of the FSU.
    Well, not exactly free, but almost free.

    You can get CD's loaded with Windows, Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc.
    All for a couple of pennies..

    People use them to install Windows on the Linux laptops they purchased.
    After they wipe Linux of course.

    See China for details.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Free New Facilities for Free Software CD Burning in India

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Free software vending machine
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Freedom toaster,? a free software CD/DVD vending machine, will be
    > | launched at Technopark in the city on Monday.
    > |
    > | The Toaster is designed and developed by Zyxware Technologies and
    > | promoted jointly by Zyxware Technologies and GNU/Linux Users Group
    > | Trivandrum.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/01/stor...0160450300.htm

    The WINDUMMY Asstroturfing hords will be going sick over this one
    and posting their evil tripe to diss it because its free and
    and it harms their business. Its a pity they are tuned into
    broadcasting their evil just to earn a few pennies instead
    of rejoicing in the triamph of free software and what it can do
    without the help of proprietory software.

+ Reply to Thread