Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation! - Linux

This is a discussion on Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation! - Linux ; It's not like we have a boss or a schedule or a budget! http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/ 30. Oct. 2006 - 1.1.4 released 9. Jan. 2004 - Revamped Homepage to align with FAQ look and feel 8. Jan. 2004 - Instructional videos are ...

  1. Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation!

    It's not like we have a boss or a schedule or a budget!

    http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/

    30. Oct. 2006 - 1.1.4 released
    9. Jan. 2004 - Revamped Homepage to align with FAQ look and feel
    8. Jan. 2004 - Instructional videos are finally available ... see below
    2. Jan. 2004 - An FAQ is available here

  2. Re: Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation!

    DFS wrote:

    > It's not like we have a boss or a schedule or a budget!
    >

    > http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > 30. Oct. 2006 - 1.1.4 released
    > 9. Jan. 2004 - Revamped Homepage to align with FAQ look and feel
    > 8. Jan. 2004 - Instructional videos are finally available ... see below
    > 2. Jan. 2004 - An FAQ is available here

    ....and what was the time frame between IE6 and IE7?

    Ian

  3. Re: Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation!

    Ian Hilliard wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> It's not like we have a boss or a schedule or a budget!
    >>

    >> http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> 30. Oct. 2006 - 1.1.4 released
    >> 9. Jan. 2004 - Revamped Homepage to align with FAQ look and feel
    >> 8. Jan. 2004 - Instructional videos are finally available ... see
    >> below
    >> 2. Jan. 2004 - An FAQ is available here

    > ...and what was the time frame between IE6 and IE7?

    Too long. It's part of the reason I switched off IE to Opera, then to
    Firefox. And now I almost never use IE if I can help it.

  4. Re: Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation!

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:29:16 +0800, Ian Hilliard wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> It's not like we have a boss or a schedule or a budget!
    >>

    >> http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> 30. Oct. 2006 - 1.1.4 released
    >> 9. Jan. 2004 - Revamped Homepage to align with FAQ look and feel 8. Jan.
    >> 2004 - Instructional videos are finally available ... see below 2. Jan.
    >> 2004 - An FAQ is available here

    > ...and what was the time frame between IE6 and IE7?

    And how long did it take M$ to push Fista out the door, & how many
    "features" did they have to drop from their original concept?

    --
    ɐ ɯoɹɟ ʇuǝs sɐʍ ǝƃɐssǝɯ sıɥʇ
    pǝǝʇuɐɹɐnƃ sı ɥɔıɥʍ ɹǝʇndɯoɔ

  5. Re: Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation!

    William Poaster wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:29:16 +0800, Ian Hilliard wrote:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's not like we have a boss or a schedule or a budget!
    >>>

    >>> http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/
    >>>
    >>> 30. Oct. 2006 - 1.1.4 released
    >>> 9. Jan. 2004 - Revamped Homepage to align with FAQ look and feel 8. Jan.
    >>> 2004 - Instructional videos are finally available ... see below 2. Jan.
    >>> 2004 - An FAQ is available here

    >> ...and what was the time frame between IE6 and IE7?

    > And how long did it take M$ to push Fista out the door, & how many
    > "features" did they have to drop from their original concept?

    Some of the "features" weren't even that good or well thought out. Gates
    has been dreaming of getting winfs into windows for over a decade now.
    Why not have all your documents in one sub-folder with a search index on
    those? Bloody indexing drives and injecting all kinds of metadata crap
    on files regardless of type seems a bit stupid to me. Why the hell would
    you want all your program files in a glorified database?

  6. Re: Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation!

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:45:59 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:

    >>> ...and what was the time frame between IE6 and IE7?

    >> And how long did it take M$ to push Fista out the door, & how many
    >> "features" did they have to drop from their original concept?

    > Some of the "features" weren't even that good or well thought out. Gates
    > has been dreaming of getting winfs into windows for over a decade now. Why
    > not have all your documents in one sub-folder with a search index on
    > those? Bloody indexing drives and injecting all kinds of metadata crap on
    > files regardless of type seems a bit stupid to me. Why the hell would you
    > want all your program files in a glorified database?

    The same reason they have a Registry, because it's "The Micro$oft Way"!
    What POS.

    --
    ɐ ɯoɹɟ ʇuǝs sɐʍ ǝƃɐssǝɯ sıɥʇ
    pǝǝʇuɐɹɐnƃ sı ɥɔıɥʍ ɹǝʇndɯoɔ
    ˙snɹıʌ ǝzopuıʍ $ɯ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝǝɹɟ %00⇂
    -- sɯǝʇsʎs xnuıl/nuƃ --

  7. Re: Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation!

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >> No-one? Thought not.

    > Unless you count the MAFIAA.

    They're not the actual users
    They don't count.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  8. Re: Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation!

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > Hadron quacked:
    >>
    >> "Phil Da Lick!" writes:
    >>
    >>> Hadron quacked:

    >>> Hands up anyone that "wanted" the cool new wizzy drm in vista.

    >> "Most"

    LOL What a fsckwit you are, Quirk.

    I guess if Micro$oft did it, it MUST be good, huh?

    >NOBODY wanted that crap.

  9. Re: Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation!

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:45:59 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:

    >>> ...and what was the time frame between IE6 and IE7?

    >> And how long did it take M$ to push Fista out the door, & how many
    >> "features" did they have to drop from their original concept?

    > Some of the "features" weren't even that good or well thought out. Gates
    > has been dreaming of getting winfs into windows for over a decade now. Why
    > not have all your documents in one sub-folder with a search index on
    > those? Bloody indexing drives and injecting all kinds of metadata crap on
    > files regardless of type seems a bit stupid to me. Why the hell would you
    > want all your program files in a glorified database?

    The same reason they have a Registry, because it's "The Micro$oft Way"!
    What POS.

    --
    ? ?o?? ?u?s s?? ???ss?? si??
    p???u???n? si ??i?? ???nd?o?

  10. Re: Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation!

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:29:16 +0800, Ian Hilliard wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> It's not like we have a boss or a schedule or a budget!
    >>

    >> http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> 30. Oct. 2006 - 1.1.4 released
    >> 9. Jan. 2004 - Revamped Homepage to align with FAQ look and feel 8. Jan.
    >> 2004 - Instructional videos are finally available ... see below 2. Jan.
    >> 2004 - An FAQ is available here

    > ...and what was the time frame between IE6 and IE7?

    And how long did it take M$ to push Fista out the door, & how many
    "features" did they have to drop from their original concept?

    --
    ? ?o?? ?u?s s?? ???ss?? si??
    p???u???n? si ??i?? ???nd?o?
    ?sn?i? ?zopui? $? ??? ?o ???? %00?
    -- s???s?s xnuil/nu? --

  11. Re: Hey, we're OSS coders: let's take a nice 2.5 year vacation!

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:29:16 +0800, Ian Hilliard wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> It's not like we have a boss or a schedule or a budget!
    >>

    >> http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> 30. Oct. 2006 - 1.1.4 released
    >> 9. Jan. 2004 - Revamped Homepage to align with FAQ look and feel 8. Jan.
    >> 2004 - Instructional videos are finally available ... see below 2. Jan.
    >> 2004 - An FAQ is available here

    > ...and what was the time frame between IE6 and IE7?

    And how long did it take M$ to push Fista out the door, & how many
    "features" did they have to drop from their original concept?

    --
    p???u???n? si ??i?? ???nd?o?
    ?sn?i? ?zopui? $? ??? ?o ???? %00?
    -- s???s?s xnuil/nu? --