Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures? - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures? - Linux ; I don't have a great deal of faith in the figures published by Netcraft, in that to my mind they are bound to weigh too heavily the U.S., U.k., and other English-speaking nations, while under-representing China, India, Brazil, most of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    I don't have a great deal of faith in the figures published by Netcraft, in
    that to my mind they are bound to weigh too heavily the U.S., U.k., and other
    English-speaking nations, while under-representing China, India, Brazil, most
    of Europe, etc. (English-speaking, rather not)

    Nevertheless, it does give me some pleasure to look through them each month
    and see what "the trolls own figures" tell us:-

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=9#

    They show ┬*in today's figures the Linux
    User Base for August going from 0.82% to 0.93%

    To make a change like that, in one month, Linux would need to have a Market
    Share of about *7.5%* for the month.
    (That assumes 20M total units sold, into a user base which was already 1,200M
    units)

    The same calculation for Mac would show that to go from 7.76% to 7.87% in one
    month would need it to have a Market Share of about *14.5%* for the month.

    Similarly, for MS to go from 91.02% to 90.66% in one month would indicate a
    Market Share of about *69.5%* for the month

    That's all on one month's figures, of course - and drawing conclusions from
    one month is very dangerous.
    The interesting thing is that if I do the calculation over 10 months, and
    assume a linear rate of change over the period rather than a step-function 10
    months ago, and with machines being "retired" at the same rate that new
    machines are added, I get a very similar answer. In fact, I then find that
    current Linux Market Share must be just under *6%* .
    (Note that now that Linux is "sold" (pre-installed) it actually makes some
    sense to talk of "Market Share" as well as "% of User base".)

    I note that Firefox is also up according to that site - from 19.22% to 19.73%.
    That's a gain for every month of the last 10, except for March/April, when it
    fell by 0.07%, and a rise of 3,76% over the 10 months.

  2. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    * bbgruff peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > They show *in today's figures the Linux
    > User Base for August going from 0.82% to 0.93%
    >
    > To make a change like that, in one month, Linux would need to have a Market
    > Share of about *7.5%* for the month.
    > (That assumes 20M total units sold, into a user base which was already 1,200M
    > units)
    >
    > The same calculation for Mac would show that to go from 7.76% to 7.87% in one
    > month would need it to have a Market Share of about *14.5%* for the month.
    >
    > Similarly, for MS to go from 91.02% to 90.66% in one month would indicate a
    > Market Share of about *69.5%* for the month
    >
    > That's all on one month's figures, of course - and drawing conclusions from
    > one month is very dangerous.
    > The interesting thing is that if I do the calculation over 10 months, and
    > assume a linear rate of change over the period rather than a step-function 10
    > months ago, and with machines being "retired" at the same rate that new
    > machines are added, I get a very similar answer. In fact, I then find that
    > current Linux Market Share must be just under *6%* .
    > (Note that now that Linux is "sold" (pre-installed) it actually makes some
    > sense to talk of "Market Share" as well as "% of User base".)

    Microsoft Shill rule:

    When the second derivative tells an anti-Microsoft story, switch to
    the first derivative.

    When the first derivative tells an anti-Microsoft story, switch to
    a data-point snapshot.

    That oughta hold 'em.

    --
    Prepare for tomorrow -- get ready.
    -- Edith Keeler, "The City On the Edge of Forever",

  3. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    bbgruff wrote:
    > I don't have a great deal of faith in the figures published by Netcraft, in
    > that to my mind they are bound to weigh too heavily the U.S., U.k., and other
    > English-speaking nations, while under-representing China, India, Brazil, most
    > of Europe, etc. (English-speaking, rather not)
    >
    > Nevertheless, it does give me some pleasure to look through them each month
    > and see what "the trolls own figures" tell us:-
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=9#
    >
    > They show in today's figures the Linux
    > User Base for August going from 0.82% to 0.93%
    >
    > To make a change like that, in one month, Linux would need to have a Market
    > Share of about *7.5%* for the month.
    > (That assumes 20M total units sold, into a user base which was already 1,200M
    > units)
    >
    > The same calculation for Mac would show that to go from 7.76% to 7.87% in one
    > month would need it to have a Market Share of about *14.5%* for the month.
    >
    > Similarly, for MS to go from 91.02% to 90.66% in one month would indicate a
    > Market Share of about *69.5%* for the month
    >
    > That's all on one month's figures, of course - and drawing conclusions from
    > one month is very dangerous.
    > The interesting thing is that if I do the calculation over 10 months, and
    > assume a linear rate of change over the period rather than a step-function 10
    > months ago, and with machines being "retired" at the same rate that new
    > machines are added, I get a very similar answer. In fact, I then find that
    > current Linux Market Share must be just under *6%* .
    > (Note that now that Linux is "sold" (pre-installed) it actually makes some
    > sense to talk of "Market Share" as well as "% of User base".)
    >
    > I note that Firefox is also up according to that site - from 19.22% to 19.73%.
    > That's a gain for every month of the last 10, except for March/April, when it
    > fell by 0.07%, and a rise of 3,76% over the 10 months.

    Bound to be wrong. It isn't definitive bbc.co.uk data.

  4. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    ____/ bbgruff on Monday 01 September 2008 16:20 : \____

    > I don't have a great deal of faith in the figures published by Netcraft, in
    > that to my mind they are bound to weigh too heavily the U.S., U.k., and other
    > English-speaking nations, while under-representing China, India, Brazil, most
    > of Europe, etc. (English-speaking, rather not)
    >
    > Nevertheless, it does give me some pleasure to look through them each month
    > and see what "the trolls own figures" tell us:-
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=9#
    >
    > They show ┬*in today's figures the Linux
    > User Base for August going from 0.82% to 0.93%
    >
    > To make a change like that, in one month, Linux would need to have a Market
    > Share of about *7.5%* for the month.
    > (That assumes 20M total units sold, into a user base which was already 1,200M
    > units)
    >
    > The same calculation for Mac would show that to go from 7.76% to 7.87% in one
    > month would need it to have a Market Share of about *14.5%* for the month.
    >
    > Similarly, for MS to go from 91.02% to 90.66% in one month would indicate a
    > Market Share of about *69.5%* for the month
    >
    > That's all on one month's figures, of course - and drawing conclusions from
    > one month is very dangerous.
    > The interesting thing is that if I do the calculation over 10 months, and
    > assume a linear rate of change over the period rather than a step-function 10
    > months ago, and with machines being "retired" at the same rate that new
    > machines are added, I get a very similar answer. In fact, I then find that
    > current Linux Market Share must be just under *6%* .
    > (Note that now that Linux is "sold" (pre-installed) it actually makes some
    > sense to talk of "Market Share" as well as "% of User base".)
    >
    > I note that Firefox is also up according to that site - from 19.22% to
    > 19.73%. That's a gain for every month of the last 10, except for March/April,
    > when it fell by 0.07%, and a rise of 3,76% over the 10 months.

    My Gruff, watch what you are linking to.

    Is Linux Getting the Shaft?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As I recently reported, there is an order of magnitude difference between the
    | market share of Linux "out there" in the world, and the market share of LInux
    | on Scienceblogs.com and on this very blog. Subsequently, I was trolled by my
    | very own brother "... so, when is Luniux going to reach 1% market share?...."
    | and this item has come out on ZDNet (which we all know is essentially funded
    | by Microsoft, right?): Linux - Still chasing that elusive 1% market share.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | So I went and looked. Here is the description of the database used by the
    | Market Share service that everyone seems to rely on:
    |

    | ┬* ┬* We collect data from the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive
    | ┬* ┬* on-demand network of live stats customers. The data is compiled from
    | ┬* ┬* approximately 160 million visitors per month. The information published
    | ┬* ┬* is an aggregate of the data from this network of hosted website
    | ┬* ┬* statistics. The site unique visitor and referral information is
    | ┬* ┬* summarized on a monthly basis.
    |
    | WTF?
    |
    | Is this supposed to be some kind of unbiased sample? But wait, there's
    | more...
    |
    | [More jaw-dropping s*ite]
    |

    | [...]
    |
    | The complexity of this problem is actually rather large. But I can tell you
    | one thing: If you were my graduate student and you came to me with this
    | sampling strategy, I'd send you back to kindergarten. (If I had that power.)
    `----

    http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/20...nt=channellink

    All the PCs in my house and at work run Linux and my site has more Linux users
    than Windows users. Therefore, surely Windows is a minority.

    Trust me. It's a form of statistics.

    It is.

    - --
    "There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally signals
    publicly -- and their customers are using it..." --Paul DeGroot, a Directions
    On Microsoft analyst.

  5. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    Linonut wrote:
    > * bbgruff peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> They show in today's figures the Linux
    >> User Base for August going from 0.82% to 0.93%

    > Microsoft Shill rule:
    >
    > When the second derivative tells an anti-Microsoft story, switch to
    > the first derivative.
    >
    > When the first derivative tells an anti-Microsoft story, switch to
    > a data-point snapshot.

    .... which is why it is /so rare/ for them to refer to anything other
    than the snapshot.

  6. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    bbgruff wrote:
    > I don't have a great deal of faith in the figures published by
    > Netcraft, in that to my mind they are bound to weigh too heavily the
    > U.S., U.k., and other English-speaking nations, while
    > under-representing China, India, Brazil, most of Europe, etc.
    > (English-speaking, rather not)
    >
    > Nevertheless, it does give me some pleasure to look through them each
    > month and see what "the trolls own figures" tell us:-
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=9#
    >
    > They show in today's figures the Linux
    > User Base for August going from 0.82% to 0.93%
    >
    > To make a change like that, in one month, Linux would need to have a
    > Market Share of about *7.5%* for the month.

    > (That assumes 20M total units sold, into a user base which was
    > already 1,200M units)

    Linux lusers should stay away from numbers (and computer code - obviously).

    End previous month, Linux has a market share of 0.82%
    End this month, Linux has a market share of 0.93%
    For the month, Linux has a market share of 0.0082 + (0.5 * (0.0093 -
    0.0082)) = 0.88%

    It's true that, given your assumptions, 7.5% of the net new users were Linux
    seats (nearly 7% were iPhone users). But that's not market share - it's
    percent of market change.

  7. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    DFS wrote:
    > bbgruff wrote:
    >> I don't have a great deal of faith in the figures published by
    >> Netcraft, in that to my mind they are bound to weigh too heavily the
    >> U.S., U.k., and other English-speaking nations, while
    >> under-representing China, India, Brazil, most of Europe, etc.
    >> (English-speaking, rather not)
    >>
    >> Nevertheless, it does give me some pleasure to look through them each
    >> month and see what "the trolls own figures" tell us:-
    >>
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=9#
    >>
    >> They show in today's figures the Linux
    >> User Base for August going from 0.82% to 0.93%
    >>
    >> To make a change like that, in one month, Linux would need to have a
    >> Market Share of about *7.5%* for the month.

    >> (That assumes 20M total units sold, into a user base which was
    >> already 1,200M units)

    > Linux lusers should stay away from numbers (and computer code - obviously).
    >
    > End previous month, Linux has a market share of 0.82%
    > End this month, Linux has a market share of 0.93%
    > For the month, Linux has a market share of 0.0082 + (0.5 * (0.0093 -
    > 0.0082)) = 0.88%
    >
    > It's true that, given your assumptions, 7.5% of the net new users were Linux
    > seats (nearly 7% were iPhone users). But that's not market share - it's
    > percent of market change.

    Oh yeah? Show us the definition of "percent of market change". Hint:
    read the definitions of /market share/ and /usage share/ at Wikipedia.
    Your usage is wrong.

  8. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    Matt wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> bbgruff wrote:
    >>> I don't have a great deal of faith in the figures published by
    >>> Netcraft, in that to my mind they are bound to weigh too heavily the
    >>> U.S., U.k., and other English-speaking nations, while
    >>> under-representing China, India, Brazil, most of Europe, etc.
    >>> (English-speaking, rather not)
    >>>
    >>> Nevertheless, it does give me some pleasure to look through them
    >>> each month and see what "the trolls own figures" tell us:-
    >>>
    >>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=9#
    >>>
    >>> They show in today's figures the Linux
    >>> User Base for August going from 0.82% to 0.93%
    >>>
    >>> To make a change like that, in one month, Linux would need to have a
    >>> Market Share of about *7.5%* for the month.

    >>> (That assumes 20M total units sold, into a user base which was
    >>> already 1,200M units)

    >> Linux lusers should stay away from numbers (and computer code -
    >> obviously). End previous month, Linux has a market share of 0.82%
    >> End this month, Linux has a market share of 0.93%
    >> For the month, Linux has a market share of 0.0082 + (0.5 * (0.0093 -
    >> 0.0082)) = 0.88%
    >>
    >> It's true that, given your assumptions, 7.5% of the net new users
    >> were Linux seats (nearly 7% were iPhone users). But that's not
    >> market share - it's percent of market change.

    > Oh yeah? Show us the definition of "percent of market change".

    The percent of net new users represented by Linux users.

    > Hint:
    > read the definitions of /market share/ and /usage share/ at Wikipedia.
    > Your usage is wrong.

    Market share = usage share when talking about free desktop Linux, of course.

  9. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    Peter K÷hlmann wrote:

    > And profits alone are meaningless, too.
    > Given your absurd "theory", 99% of PCs could run linux, and just 1% run
    > windows and still have windows with near "100% marketshare"
    >
    > That is total bollocks and could have come only from Bill Weissgerber,
    > the "OxRetard" of COLA

    Why don't you shut the ****-up for once in your damn worthless ass life?
    You have got a damn excuse for everything.

  10. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    Matt wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> bbgruff wrote:
    >>> I don't have a great deal of faith in the figures published by
    >>> Netcraft, in that to my mind they are bound to weigh too heavily the
    >>> U.S., U.k., and other English-speaking nations, while
    >>> under-representing China, India, Brazil, most of Europe, etc.
    >>> (English-speaking, rather not)
    >>>
    >>> Nevertheless, it does give me some pleasure to look through them each
    >>> month and see what "the trolls own figures" tell us:-
    >>>
    >>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=9#
    >>>
    >>> They show in today's figures the Linux
    >>> User Base for August going from 0.82% to 0.93%
    >>>
    >>> To make a change like that, in one month, Linux would need to have a
    >>> Market Share of about *7.5%* for the month.

    >>> (That assumes 20M total units sold, into a user base which was
    >>> already 1,200M units)

    >> Linux lusers should stay away from numbers (and computer code - obviously).
    >>
    >> End previous month, Linux has a market share of 0.82%
    >> End this month, Linux has a market share of 0.93%
    >> For the month, Linux has a market share of 0.0082 + (0.5 * (0.0093 -
    >> 0.0082)) = 0.88%

    Oh dear oh dear DFS...
    .....if you are going to tell somebody that they've got their maths wrong, it's
    a good idea to get *yours* right.

    No DFS. Linux share of User Base (according to the figures) was *not* 0.82%
    at the *end* of the previous month; rather, it had an *average* of 0.82% for
    the month of July.
    Similarly, it did *not* have 0.93% at the *end* of August; it had an
    *average* of 0.93% for August.
    If, as you seem to wish to, you try to read *too* much into these figures
    (they are for a single month only, after all), and if you wish to be
    as "clever" as you are trying to be, you will see that to start August with
    (say) 0.82%, but to *average* 0.93% for the month, then with a linear rate of
    growth you would have needed to *end* the month with 1.04%, answering the
    question raised by your friens flatfish only a few weeks ago of "Will Linux
    ever reach 1%?"!

    I can see what you were trying to do, but you have got confused and done the
    job backwards, thereby shooting yourself in the foot.

    >> It's true that, given your assumptions, 7.5% of the net new users were
    >> Linux
    >> seats (nearly 7% were iPhone users). But that's not market share - it's
    >> percent of market change.

    It is Market Share in fact - the number of new Linux units coming into use,
    expressed as a percentage of the total number of new units coming into use.

    However, many thanks for checking my figures, and your confirmation that of
    all new units coming into use in August, the figures from the site so beloved
    by you people for its statistics show that:

    Linux acconted for 7.5%
    iphone accounted for 7%
    - and by implacation you are agreeing my conclusion that Mac accounted for
    about 14.5%, and Microsoft for under 70%.

    Cheers.

  11. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    DFS wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Linux lusers should stay away from numbers (and computer code -
    >>> obviously). End previous month, Linux has a market share of 0.82%
    >>> End this month, Linux has a market share of 0.93%
    >>> For the month, Linux has a market share of 0.0082 + (0.5 * (0.0093 -
    >>> 0.0082)) = 0.88%
    >>>
    >>> It's true that, given your assumptions, 7.5% of the net new users
    >>> were Linux seats (nearly 7% were iPhone users). But that's not
    >>> market share - it's percent of market change.

    >> Oh yeah? Show us the definition of "percent of market change".

    > The percent of net new users represented by Linux users.
    >

    >> Hint:
    >> read the definitions of /market share/ and /usage share/ at Wikipedia.
    >> Your usage is wrong.

    > Market share = usage share when talking about free desktop Linux, of course.

    That's fine if you just want to talk to yourself or cause confusion for
    others.

  12. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    "Peter K÷hlmann" wrote in message

    > And profits alone are meaningless, too.

    If you are a fanatic, that is perhaps true, particularly if you have none to
    begin with. Even fools like yourself will rationalize their position, it is
    the only way to stay alive.

    > Given your absurd "theory", 99% of PCs could run linux, and just 1% run
    > windows and still have windows with near "100% marketshare"

    A totally unlikely scenario, but one that illustrates the absurd
    childishness of a true COLA kook. Market share is important to making sound
    product development and promotion decisions and with such a user scenario,
    Microsoft would surely adopt some form of niche strategy although the whole
    idea is nonsense.

    > That is total bollocks and could have come only from Bill Weissgerber,
    > the "OxRetard" of COLA
    > --

    You periodically post such things. On what evidence do you do so?

  13. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    The Bee wrote:
    > Peter K÷hlmann wrote:
    >
    >> And profits alone are meaningless, too.
    >> Given your absurd "theory", 99% of PCs could run linux, and just 1% run
    >> windows and still have windows with near "100% marketshare"
    >>
    >> That is total bollocks and could have come only from Bill Weissgerber,
    >> the "OxRetard" of COLA

    > Why don't you shut the ****-up for once in your damn worthless ass life?

    Oh deary me...
    Name calling?
    Didn't you say that was a sign of insanity in this newsgroup just a few
    threads down?

    Tisk tisk tisk.

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  14. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    bbgruff wrote:

    >I beg to differ.
    >Market Share can be defined in two ways:-

    Rat has had that explained to him already, countless times, of course.

  15. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    amicus_curious wrote:

    >> e.g. Your own prediction, made over 4 years ago, that there would be
    >> no Linux
    >> or OSS by June 2009 at the latest!
    >> http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-3513-...66&start=-9927
    >>

    > Well, June is still a ways away, eh? Certainly the claim was meant to
    > be audacious, but it is not yet been shown to be that wide of the mark.
    > Has Linux prospered? Hardly. Is time running out? Definitely. How
    > long will it take? We can only guess as before.

    Forget it. "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself...to everything it
    touches." It will be with us for decades.

  16. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    Matt wrote:

    > rat wrote:
    >>
    >> Is time running out? Definitely.

    > Forget it. "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself...to everything it
    > touches." It will be with us for decades.

    Rat thinks that "time is running out"? He must be one of these kooks who
    thinks the "rapture" is coming soon, or something.

    Otherwise, AFAIK, there's a few billion years before the Sun evolves into
    a red giant and engulfs the Earth.

  17. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    chrisv wrote:

    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> rat wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Is time running out? Definitely.

    >> Forget it. "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself...to everything it
    >> touches." It will be with us for decades.

    > Rat thinks that "time is running out"? He must be one of these kooks who
    > thinks the "rapture" is coming soon, or something.
    >
    > Otherwise, AFAIK, there's a few billion years before the Sun evolves into
    > a red giant and engulfs the Earth.

    Yup - 'fraid so.
    Prediction made on 10 June 2004, not only Linux but all of OSS will "dsappear
    for good".... "within 5 years"
    271 days left (max) .... and counting.......
    (forgot to ask if that was GMT, EST, or whatever....!)
    Dunno about rapture, but he's sure one of those kooks.

    http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-3513-...66&start=-9927

  18. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    bbgruff wrote:

    > I must grant you that market share as "dollar %" is quite meaningless when
    > talking about Linux and OSS generally.

    And may be meaningless for Windows ten years from now, when MS may be
    giving Windows away.

    Their dumping that we see now in the Third World will spread to
    developed countries, schools first.

    Things can change quickly. Only a few years ago, they were making
    prominent threats against schools that put bootleg copies of Windows on
    old donated hardware.

  19. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >> Perhaps I missed your point here. It seems to me that you are saying
    >> that
    >> Microsoft owes its profits to the acts of these warm bodies and the
    >> natural

    > Only Microsoft cares about the profits of Microsoft.

    If you count stockholders and the IRS and similar as part of "Microsoft",
    sure, although there is a considerable pull through effect from such a
    bellwhether kind of company. Just as GOOGle's stock declines when the
    Chase-Manhattan bank suffers a loss of revenue, everyone pretty much would
    suffer from a decline in MSFT.

    > The rest of "us" want to know how many copies of McFroobers we can
    > sell.

    You would be looking at the wrong view of the problem if you think that way.
    Success of a technology product such as a computer application program is
    almost entirely dependent on the program's features, functions, and benefits
    to its users. You should ask first just who can benefit from your product
    and if there are sufficient people to allow you to make a success of it all,
    you might then consider how best to distribute it. People don't buy
    software just because it works on their computer, they buy a solution that
    very well could include a computer and an OS as well. That is what Linux
    should be striving for, i.e. doing something more useful than the norm, not
    just copycatting what others already do.

  20. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    On 2008-09-03, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Perhaps I missed your point here. It seems to me that you are saying
    >>> that
    >>> Microsoft owes its profits to the acts of these warm bodies and the
    >>> natural

    >> Only Microsoft cares about the profits of Microsoft.
    >>

    > If you count stockholders and the IRS and similar as part of "Microsoft",
    > sure, although there is a considerable pull through effect from such a

    ...that's an entirely different cooked number.

    > bellwhether kind of company. Just as GOOGle's stock declines when the
    > Chase-Manhattan bank suffers a loss of revenue, everyone pretty much would
    > suffer from a decline in MSFT.
    >
    >> The rest of "us" want to know how many copies of McFroobers we can
    >> sell.
    >>

    > You would be looking at the wrong view of the problem if you think that way.
    > Success of a technology product such as a computer application program is
    > almost entirely dependent on the program's features, functions, and benefits
    > to its users. You should ask first just who can benefit from your product

    ...can't do that without knowing WHAT YOUR MARKET IS FIRST.

    An overinflated sense of Microsoft's importance has no value in that
    respect.

    > and if there are sufficient people to allow you to make a success of it all,
    > you might then consider how best to distribute it. People don't buy
    > software just because it works on their computer, they buy a solution that
    > very well could include a computer and an OS as well. That is what Linux
    > should be striving for, i.e. doing something more useful than the norm, not
    > just copycatting what others already do.

    ...works fine for Apple.

    Although all of your blather still doesn't address the problem of
    viewing marketshare in terms of dollars given to the OS vendor rather
    than units sold or units in the field.

    --

    Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
    reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast