Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures? - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures? - Linux ; "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message news:slrngbt4t7.4hn.jedi@nomad.mishnet... >>> >>> Only Microsoft cares about the profits of Microsoft. >>> >> If you count stockholders and the IRS and similar as part of "Microsoft", >> sure, although there is a considerable pull through effect ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> Only Microsoft cares about the profits of Microsoft.
    >>>

    >> If you count stockholders and the IRS and similar as part of "Microsoft",
    >> sure, although there is a considerable pull through effect from such a

    > ...that's an entirely different cooked number.

    What do you mean by "that"?

    >> You would be looking at the wrong view of the problem if you think that
    >> way.
    >> Success of a technology product such as a computer application program is
    >> almost entirely dependent on the program's features, functions, and
    >> benefits
    >> to its users. You should ask first just who can benefit from your
    >> product

    > ...can't do that without knowing WHAT YOUR MARKET IS FIRST.

    Your potential market is comprised of those who can benefit from using your
    product by a sufficient margin in excess of the price you need to charge in
    order to stay in business.

    > An overinflated sense of Microsoft's importance has no value in that
    > respect.

    Again you put the cart before the horse. The customer must benefit
    regardless of his sense of Microsoft's importance or your sense of
    Microsoft's importance. It has nothing much to do with Microsoft. If your
    product is easier to use for those who already have Windows or Linux or
    whatever, then that goes to helping the benefit picture, certainly.

    >> and if there are sufficient people to allow you to make a success of it
    >> all,
    >> you might then consider how best to distribute it. People don't buy
    >> software just because it works on their computer, they buy a solution
    >> that
    >> very well could include a computer and an OS as well. That is what Linux
    >> should be striving for, i.e. doing something more useful than the norm,
    >> not
    >> just copycatting what others already do.

    > ...works fine for Apple.

    Apple has a substantial brand differentiation vis-a-vis Wintel machines
    although the move to Intel has lessened that. They are trading more heavily
    on their image as a trend-setting company than on their features and
    functions. They can do that, just as Microsoft can trade on their own brand
    image, which is quite good.

    > Although all of your blather still doesn't address the problem of
    > viewing marketshare in terms of dollars given to the OS vendor rather
    > than units sold or units in the field.

    What is the problem? If you are Microsoft, you view the market as a need to
    keep the hundreds of millions of existing customers satisfied well enough to
    continue. If you are Apple, you view the market as a niche for the upscale,
    trendy sort of products that they have settled on supplying. If you are a
    Linux fan you hope and pray and try to imagine that your sow's ear is a silk
    purse and vindication is just around the corner. If you are a bright
    entrepreneur with a hot idea, you will tell everyone how easy it is to
    acquire and use your invention and how you will gain or save many times its
    price.

  2. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    On 2008-09-03, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> If you count stockholders and the IRS and similar as part of "Microsoft",
    >>> sure, although there is a considerable pull through effect from such a

    >> ...that's an entirely different cooked number.
    >>

    > What do you mean by "that"?
    >

    >>> You would be looking at the wrong view of the problem if you think that
    >>> way.
    >>> Success of a technology product such as a computer application program is
    >>> almost entirely dependent on the program's features, functions, and
    >>> benefits
    >>> to its users. You should ask first just who can benefit from your
    >>> product

    >> ...can't do that without knowing WHAT YOUR MARKET IS FIRST.
    >>

    > Your potential market is comprised of those who can benefit from using your
    > product by a sufficient margin in excess of the price you need to charge in
    > order to stay in business.

    So only true suckers will pay for expensive stuff, eh?

    That doesn't work out in real life.

    >> An overinflated sense of Microsoft's importance has no value in that
    >> respect.
    >>

    > Again you put the cart before the horse. The customer must benefit

    Not at all. The only number that matters is potential customers.
    Whether or not those customers are willing to be soaked by their OS
    vendors for expenses they shouldn't really need to pay is rather
    irrelevant.

    > regardless of his sense of Microsoft's importance or your sense of
    > Microsoft's importance. It has nothing much to do with Microsoft. If your
    > product is easier to use for those who already have Windows or Linux or
    > whatever, then that goes to helping the benefit picture, certainly.
    >
    >>> and if there are sufficient people to allow you to make a success of it
    >>> all,
    >>> you might then consider how best to distribute it. People don't buy
    >>> software just because it works on their computer, they buy a solution
    >>> that
    >>> very well could include a computer and an OS as well. That is what Linux
    >>> should be striving for, i.e. doing something more useful than the norm,
    >>> not
    >>> just copycatting what others already do.

    >> ...works fine for Apple.
    >>

    > Apple has a substantial brand differentiation vis-a-vis Wintel machines

    Not really.

    They do the SAME THINGS, just better.

    Apple delivers on all of Microsoft's promises.

    [deletia]

    When people aren't paralyzed by market-share mania and the associated
    FUD from the Lemming crowd, they tend to realize this and Apple's market-
    share grows.

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of Oracle's |||
    continued popularity as does an attempt to do some / | \

  3. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    >>> Is time running out? Definitely.

    > thinks the "rapture" is coming soon, or something.

    I fell into a trance and had a vision. I saw a tall slender man
    standing on a great stage before a multitude. Above his waist he wore a
    garment of finest woven wool. Over his eyes were pieces of glass as
    clear as water, but they had smudges, And his right hand was raised
    high, and in that hand he held a round plate that was thin and flat and
    shining like burnished silver. I looked upon the plate and saw a mark
    upon the plate and saw that the mark was a number and that the number of
    the mark was Seven.

  4. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    * Matt peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> thinks the "rapture" is coming soon, or something.

    > I fell into a trance and had a vision. I saw a tall slender man
    > standing on a great stage before a multitude. Above his waist he wore a
    > garment of finest woven wool. Over his eyes were pieces of glass as
    > clear as water, but they had smudges, And his right hand was raised
    > high, and in that hand he held a round plate that was thin and flat and
    > shining like burnished silver. I looked upon the plate and saw a mark
    > upon the plate and saw that the mark was a number and that the number of
    > the mark was Seven.

    Shipping 7? Looks like we're safe until 2012 .

    --
    "He was a modest, good-humored boy. It was Oxford that made him insufferable."

  5. Re: Linux 7.5% on latest "Market Share" figures?

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Matt peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> thinks the "rapture" is coming soon, or something.

    >> I fell into a trance and had a vision. I saw a tall slender man
    >> standing on a great stage before a multitude. Above his waist he wore a
    >> garment of finest woven wool. Over his eyes were pieces of glass as
    >> clear as water, but they had smudges, And his right hand was raised
    >> high, and in that hand he held a round plate that was thin and flat and
    >> shining like burnished silver. I looked upon the plate and saw a mark
    >> upon the plate and saw that the mark was a number and that the number of
    >> the mark was Seven.

    > Shipping 7? Looks like we're safe until 2012 .

    We'll never see it.
    Drink up, the world's about to end.

    Only 34 hours until they turn on the LHC.

    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2