How to Buy a Mini-laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| The Acer opening screen I just referred to is based on Linux, and the Aspire
| one comes with the Linpus Linux Lite OS, which is very user friendly. I've
| used Windows for most of my life but switching to Linux to try out the Aspire
| one was smooth and easy.
|
| Most of the netbooks I tested with Linux OSs booted up far faster than
| Windows XP or Windows Vista (I would not buy a netbook with Vista, it's just
| too slow).
|
| There are also free Linux-based word processing programs, spreadsheets etc.
| available on the Internet such as Open Office, Google Pack, which includes
| Sun's StarOffice or Web-based software such as Google Apps.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...inilaptop.html

PC makers rethink preloaded software

,----[ Quote ]
| PC BOX BUILDERS are thinking of getting rid of the tradition of stuffing your
| new PC or laptop with trial software that you don’t really want anyway.
|
| The reason is that some retailers, such as Best Buy, are making a small
| fortune removing the software and charging punters for the privilege.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/feeds/rss...hink-preloaded

This will ruin Microsoft's price 'advantage' (buyers' disadvantage).

"There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally signals
publicly -- and their customers are using it..."

--Paul DeGroot, a Directions On Microsoft analyst.

Recent:

Linux preinstalls rocket to three per cent

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is still be shipped with 93 per cent of all PCs sold through
| distribution in the UK, according to Context.
|
| Yet Linux has nevertheless made an impressive gain.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ocket-per-cent

Dell UK launches systems with preinstalled Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/D...--/news/111164
http://tinyurl.com/577g6y