[News] Big Rewards Offered for Free Software-like Contributions - Linux

  1. [News] Big Rewards Offered for Free Software-like Contributions

    Some news is good news--online coaches will help shape $5 million ideas

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And the best news for the open source community? The rules stipulate that
    | applications must:
    |
    | 1. Use or create digital, open-source technology as the code base.
    | 2. Serve the public interest.
    | 3. Benefit one or more specific geographic communities.
    |
    | Past winners I have had the pleasure of meeting include Sir Tim Berners-Lee
    | and Martin Moore ($350,000), Chris Csikszentmihályi, Mitchel Resnick, and
    | Henry Jenkins ($5,000,000), and Adrian Holovaty ($1,100,000). Bravo, all! As
    | for future winners, they could include you, if you have a great idea about
    | how open source can be applied to improving the quality and impact of civic
    | discourse.
    `----

    http://opensource.org/node/366

    Related:

    Recipients of Second Annual Mellon Awards for Technology Collaboration
    Announced

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation today awarded $650,000 in prizes to ten
    | not-for-profit institutions in the second annual Mellon Awards for Technology
    | Collaboration (MATC). Â*
    `----

    http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/...20News/896675/

    Mellon Awards for Technology Collaboration Announced

    http://www.govtech.com/gt/articles/218295

    Second Annual Mellon Awards for Technology Collaboration Announced

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Mellon Awards honor not-for-profit organizations for leadership
    | in the collaborative development of open source software tools
    | with particular application to higher education and
    | not-for-profit activities.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/g...tion-announced
    http://tinyurl.com/yqq78k

    Old:

    Education, information access top Mellon Foundation award winners

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation earlier this month announced the
    | first winners in its planned annual Mellon Awards for Technology
    | Collaboration (MATC), granting 10 recipients cash prizes of $50,000
    | to $100,000. The awards recognize contributions to open sources
    | oftware that benefit higher education and nonprofit organizations.
    `----

    http://trends.newsforge.com/article....40232&from=rss

    Mellon Foundation invites nominations for open source awards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://trends.newsforge.com/trends/0....shtml?tid=138

    Mellon Foundation invites nominations for open source awards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Mellon Foundation makes grants in a number of areas
    | benefiting educations, arts, and culture. The Foundation's
    | Research in Information Technology Program directly funds a
    | dozen open source projects and contributes to several more.
    `----

    http://trends.newsforge.com/trends/0....shtml?tid=138

  2. Re: [News] Big Rewards Offered for Free Software-like Contributions

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:45:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Some news is good news--online coaches will help shape $5 million ideas
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| And the best news for the open source community? The rules stipulate that
    >| applications must:
    >|
    >| 1. Use or create digital, open-source technology as the code base.
    >| 2. Serve the public interest.
    >| 3. Benefit one or more specific geographic communities.
    >|
    >| Past winners I have had the pleasure of meeting include Sir Tim Berners-Lee
    >| and Martin Moore ($350,000), Chris Csikszentmihályi, Mitchel Resnick, and
    >| Henry Jenkins ($5,000,000), and Adrian Holovaty ($1,100,000). Bravo, all! As
    >| for future winners, they could include you, if you have a great idea about
    >| how open source can be applied to improving the quality and impact of civic
    >| discourse.

    Sounds like a good fall project for you Schestowitz.

    Maybe you could sell your webcrawl and SPAM-O-Matic scripts to some village
    in Bongo Bongo to use for their mass mailings.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread