Open source: What you should learn from the French

,----[ Quote ]
| A decade ago, European countries leapt out of the gate to take the lead in
| the radical open source movement -- none more so than France -- and left U.S.
| developers in the proverbial dust. Through policies and high-profile
| projects, the French Republic for years has been advocating for all open
| source all the time, in government and education.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...lessons_1.html

Recent:

Open Source Government: France beats Italy 4-0!

,----[ Quote ]
| Roberto explains that the goal of this group is to help structure the open
| source ecosystem in the Paris area by federating research laboratories, SMEs
| and big firms through R&D projects, partially supported by public funding in
| the standard scheme of competitivenes clusters.
|
| [...]
|
| Italy beat France on a soccer field, but on the open source ground we have a
| lot to learn from them.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/06/...ats-italy-4-0/

Related:

France pins hopes of growth on open-source software

http://open.itworld.com/4915/061205f...en/page_1.html

French National Assembly switches to Linux

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7687

Free Ubuntu laptops for French students

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/597

French consumer protectionists are demanding PCs without preinstalled
software

French consumer group attacks PC software bundling

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...mktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/yf7kfu

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...LZ3IeRaIH03x6w

French Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries Choose Mandriva

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mandriva.com/company/pres...hoose_mandriva