Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008 and BarCamp Manila 1 - Huge success!

,----[ Quote ]
| What a week it was for the local tech scene in Manila, Philippines. We had 2
| user generated events happening on the same week - what more can geeks ask
| for?
`----

http://engage.wordpress.com/2008/08/...-huge-success/

Recent:

Collector’s item - Manila Standard Today

,----[ Quote ]
| Developed by Robby Stephenson as a hobby, Tellico is described as a
| collection manager for KDE, a common desktop environment for Linux. Ubuntu
| Linux uses the Gnome desktop, but can install and run KDE applications with
| no problem. To install Tellico, simply choose it in the Synaptic Package
| Manager. * *
|
| “I started developing it when I couldn’t find a personal database program for
| KDE which didn’t use an SQL back end,” Stephenson writes on the Tellico site.
| The data is saved in XML format, and can be exported as a CSV
| (comma-separated value) file that can be loaded into a spreadsheet, or as an *
| HTML page that can be read using a browser. * *
|
| [...]
|
| Tellico is released under the GNU general public license, which means it also
| meets my third requirement hands down—it’s absolutely free.
`----

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?...6_april29_2008

Related:

Cebu to host open source conference in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Cebu is scheduled to hold an international open source conference next year,
| following a visit from an open source advocate, the Cebu-based executive
| director of an information and communications technology group has said. *
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...icle_id=105797

UP Manila pushing open source initiatives for SE Asia

,----[ Quote ]
| Marcelo said that next month, the IOSN will release five free and open source
| software (FOSS) primers focused on five topics: health, small and medium
| enterprises, FOSS interoperability, security and interoperability of disaster
| management of information system. *
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...icle_id=100849

Venture capitalist puts up tech bar for open source

,----[ Quote ]
| TO show the province’s potential as an open source software market, a
| Filipino venture capitalist has set foot in Cebu to advocate open source
| software development. *
`----

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb...en.source.html

Pinoy ‘serial technopreneur’ bares new SaaS venture

,----[ Quote ]
| Widely known and respected in the open source community abroad but not much
| here in the Philippines, Damarillo has created a number of open source
| software development companies including Gluecode which he sold to tech giant
| IBM in 2005 at a still undisclosed amount, and LogicBlaze which was acquired
| by Iona Technologies in 2007. * *
|
| Apart from Morph Labs, he currently sits as chair of DevZuz (formerly known
| as Simula Labs), an open source "marketplace company," and Exist Global, a
| software engineering services company being headed by American Steve Nathan. *
`----

http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO20070910102543.html

Too late to discredit open source, advocates say

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's too late," exclaimed Winston Damarillo, founder and
| chairman of software development firm Exist Global, in an
| interview with Computerworld Philippines. "Open source
| is all over the place."
|
| [...]
|
| Anson Uy, president of Touch Solutions (a Red Hat Linux company),
| earlier on broke the news to Computerworld Philippines about the
| alleged "funded missions" by some software firms to discredit open
| source, although he did not identify any company.
|
| Anson revealed among the top three actions against FOSS are being
| done through "sponsored studies, piracy of open source developers,
| and bold press releases."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/2bj969

Open source software eyed for use in more health centers

,----[ Quote ]
| More local government units want to install homegrown, open source software
| for health centers developed by the University of the Philippines Manila, its
| project manager told INQUIRER.net Tuesday *
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...ticle_id=86621

Review: Bayanihan Linux 4

,----[ Quote ]
| Bayanihan Linux 4 is a pretty good, simple, distribution. It is
| easy to install and manage and it gets you going quickly right out of
| the box. That being said it doesn?t have all the latest gizmos and eye
| candy of the current wave of Linux distributions. It also doesn't have
| a huge package repository, but you can probably add some more.
|
| It?s not bad for a government sponsored distribution and if it gets
| more people to switch to Linux, that?s a good thing. Power users will
| want more than Bayanihan provides, but the average computer user will
| find all they need in Bayanihan.
`----

http://www.triedit.org/review/review-bayanihan-linux-4/

DMMSU Migrates to Linux