Open source for the future. Art, music, and sustainablity at Monome

,----[ Quote ]
| My name is Adrienne, and I’m a graphic designer at Red Hat—I create meaning
| using type and image. The other day I stumbled upon a story involving music,
| sustainability, and open source. Needless to say, I was intrigued.

Apple's censorship (like Google, Microsoft and Yahoo):

iTunes Store back online in China after Tibet song leaves front page

,----[ Quote ]
| The iTunes Store was blocked in China two weeks after an album released by
| Tibet activists appeared, but after the Olympics Games concluded, it was
| available once again.

So Apple cooperated with a suppressive regime. So did IBM in WW2.

Tibet: "Beijing 10" return to USA; new Tibet docu "Leaving Fear Behind."

,----[ Quote ]
| Image above: bloggers, artists, and pro-Tibet activists James Powderly, Tom
| Grant, Mike Liss, Jeremy Wells and John Watterberg arriving at LAX airport.
| They and others were held in jail in China for having participated in
| pro-Tibetan sovereignty demonstrations during the Olympics.

Good video.

What if Apple stopped issuing DRM keys?

,----[ Quote ]
| It happened to Microsoft and Yahoo. Could it happen to Apple?
| [...]
| Microsoft's now defunct MSN Music service made a similar announcement last
| spring. Some CNET News readers have asked whether the same thing could happen
| at iTunes. The answer to that question is yes, it most certainly could.

EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
| Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
| apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
| Zune music player. *

Ask Apple about the iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Services like Amazon, eMusic, Napster, Rhapsody, Play.com and 7digital are
| all selling music without DRM. A typical response to this might be that Apple
| has no option to sell media without DRM, but this is simply untrue. Jobs is
| the largest individual shareholder at Disney, and he could insist that its
| films be DRM-free. Apple should be leading the way to promote DRM-free music,
| but instead is lagging behind. What is Apple doing to fix this? If it really
| is the RIAA's fault, can you tell me specifically what the RIAA said to Jobs
| when he asked for the ability to sell DRM-free music?

iTunes legal silences Hymn

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has fired a cease and desist order against the developers behind the
| open-source Hymn Project.
| Hymn develops software that strips Apple's FairPlay digital rights management
| (DRM) technology from user's iTunes purchases, allowing music fans to play
| their music on devices other than those from Apple.

A Linux User's Perspective on the ITunes Store (and DRM in General)

,----[ Quote ]
| What if tomorrow you went to Best Buy or Walmart or Sam Goody and purchased a
| CD? What if, before you left the store, the salesman told you that although
| the CD was in all other respects a standard CD, that you could only play it
| if you owned a Pioneer or Sony stereo? Would that make any sense? Would it
| make you a bit hesitant about buying music from that store again?
| Well, if you purchase music or videos from the iTunes Store,
| [...]
| With content from the iTunes Store, however, users may find themselves a bit
| stuck if they ever want to make the switch to a more open computing platform,
| such as Linux. Because none of the DRM-restricted content from the iTunes
| Store will play on Linux. And it's all because that's how Apple wants it, to
| be honest, and not because of any technical limitation.

Apple's latest trick to enforce digital rights

,----[ Quote ]
| [...]
| With this version of iTunes, users were finding that music
| subjected to the old download-burn-rip would no longer
| load onto their iPods.

Torvalds pleased that DRM music is dying

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus Torvalds, coordinator of the Linux kernel, is pleased that music
| publishers have started selling more DRM-free music -- last year he said the
| technology was a lot of "hot air". *

Microsoft: We Like DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
| tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
| in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
| are, says media exec Robbie Bach.

Microsoft Tells Apple To Stop Complaining About DRM

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)