[News] [Rival] Dvorak Rips Windows Vista - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Dvorak Rips Windows Vista

    Windows PCs Subject to Clogging, Need Draino

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The release of a new OS begins both a new hardware buying cycle and an
    | upgrade cycle. Since the buying cycle is stretched to six years or more, you
    | end up with an interesting phenomenon: The upgrade cycle is contaminated with
    | machines too old to upgrade. This causes the entire system to break down
    | because the upgrade cycle immediately feeds back into the perception of the
    | new product. In the situation with Vista, too many old clunkers couldn't be
    | upgraded and the OS was given a bad reputation. This was worsened by
    | Microsoft itself discouraging upgrades and admitting to problems. Combined
    | with the Apple attack ads the public perception of Vista skewed to the
    | negative.
    `----

    Related:

    Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft says it remains happy with enterprise sales of Vista -- however,
    | the software behemoth acknowledges that many businesses which have bought
    | Vista licences are yet to deploy the software. *
    `----

    Will Windows Vista Succeed In 2008? Don't Count On It

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista has certainly been slow out of the gate. Sure, Microsoft is putting the
    | operating system on newly shipped systems, but Vista sales didn’t benefit
    | from the upgrade surge that previous OSes got upon release. A year after it
    | began shipping, less than one percent of corporate desktops are running
    | * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
    | Vista. * *
    | ^^^^^
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...indows_vi.html

    Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.olympic.pcs/

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday. *

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Dvorak Rips Windows Vista

    On 2008-08-27, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > Windows PCs Subject to Clogging, Need Draino
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The release of a new OS begins both a new hardware buying cycle and an
    >| upgrade cycle. Since the buying cycle is stretched to six years or more, you
    >| end up with an interesting phenomenon: The upgrade cycle is contaminated with
    >| machines too old to upgrade. This causes the entire system to break down
    >| because the upgrade cycle immediately feeds back into the perception of the
    >| new product. In the situation with Vista, too many old clunkers couldn't be
    >| upgraded and the OS was given a bad reputation. This was worsened by
    >| Microsoft itself discouraging upgrades and admitting to problems. Combined
    >| with the Apple attack ads the public perception of Vista skewed to the
    >| negative.
    > `----

    There's that "public perception" crap again.

    No, it /can't/ be because people actually touched it on machines that
    claim to be able to handle it that they decided it's garbage. It
    couldn't be that it gained a bad reputation because it earned it.
    There's no way that people who *used* it told other people who were
    considering using it that it was trash. It's impossible that people
    went home with machines with the latest crapware on them that ran worse
    than anything in history, but improved dramatically once something else
    replaced said crapware.

    No, it's because the marketing wasn't done right. It's all because
    Apple was able to attack it. It's because the ads weren't done in a way
    that showed loving users having fun and frolic, or because MS admitted
    to problems, or because they didn't have a Rolling Stones song when it
    was released to the public.

    What a huge load of Hadron!

    --
    I'm using linux daily to up my productivity. So, up yours,
    Microsoft.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Dvorak Rips Windows Vista

    wrote
    on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:19:12 +0000
    <2621868.HOv66TlyIq@schestowitz.com>:

    > Windows PCs Subject to Clogging, Need Draino
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The release of a new OS begins both a new hardware buying
    > | cycle and an upgrade cycle. Since the buying cycle is
    > | stretched to six years or more, you end up with an
    > | interesting phenomenon: The upgrade cycle is contaminated
    > | with machines too old to upgrade. This causes the entire
    > | system to break down because the upgrade cycle immediately
    > | feeds back into the perception of the new product.
    > | In the situation with Vista, too many old clunkers
    > | couldn't be upgraded and the OS was given a bad reputation.
    > | This was worsened by Microsoft itself discouraging upgrades
    > | and admitting to problems. Combined with the Apple attack
    > | ads the public perception of Vista skewed to the negative.
    > `----

    Somebody is slightly clueless.

    > Related:
    >
    > Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft says it remains happy with enterprise sales of Vista -- however,
    > | the software behemoth acknowledges that many businesses which have bought
    > | Vista licences are yet to deploy the software. *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/softwar...9284495,00.htm

    Or sell the hardware it's actually on, by some accounts. ;-)
    Microsoft gets paid. The hardware sits. The users wonder.

    [rest snipped]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Conventional memory has to be one of the most UNconventional
    architectures I've seen in a computer system.