[News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Innovates' (Steals Idea of) Private Browsing - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Innovates' (Steals Idea of) Private Browsing

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Innovates' (Steals Idea of) Private Browsing

    wrote
    on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:17:50 +0000
    <1395243.cyZ5TxOjOi@schestowitz.com>:

    > Microsoft dishes dirt on IE8 'pr0n mode'
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...ivatebrowsing/
    >
    > Microsoft Adds Privacy Tools to Internet Explorer 8
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/idg/IDG_85257...ref=technology
    >
    > PJ: "I find this article a bit puzzling, unless there are other features not
    > mentioned, because you can already achieve the first mentioned privacy already
    > in Firefox and in Opera, and more."
    >
    > Microsoft Files Patents for 'InPrivate' and 'Cleartracks' Browser Privacy Tools
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft (News - Alert) has reportedly applied for trademarks to protect two
    > | of its Internet tools, InPrivate and Cleartracks. Microsoft indicated that
    > | these tools could be part of the upcoming version of Internet Explorer 8 Web
    > | browser.
    > `----
    >
    > http://it.tmcnet.com/topics/it/artic...vacy-tools.htm
    >
    > How dare they patent it?

    I'd say they're within their rights; hopefully the USPTO isn't so
    overloaded that they automatically grant same, though.

    > Recent:
    >
    > Web browser to get 'privacy mode'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft watchers have spotted two patent applications covering ways to
    > | manage the amount of information a browser logs.
    > |
    > | When introduced the privacy mode will match features found on other browsers.
    > |
    > | Medical test
    > |
    > | Australian blogger Long Zheng has found two patent applications made by
    > | Microsoft on 30 July for ideas it calls "Cleartracks" and "Inprivate".
    > `----

    Fine thing, giving a mode to the tool that caused the
    problem in the first place. Or has *everyone* forgotten
    who is maintaining the cookie, sending it back to the
    server upon request?

    A hint: it's not the Webserver.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Conventional memory has to be one of the most UNconventional
    architectures I've seen in a computer system.