Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24 hours! - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24 hours! - Linux ; Still no crash/freeze/BSOD after 24 hours!! I must be doing something wrong!!! DFS says it must crash within 20 minutes....

  1. Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24 hours!

    Still no crash/freeze/BSOD after 24 hours!! I must be doing something
    wrong!!! DFS says it must crash within 20 minutes.

  2. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24hours!

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > Still no crash/freeze/BSOD after 24 hours!! I must be doing something
    > wrong!!! DFS says it must crash within 20 minutes.

    He's too busy circle jerking with flattie atm to notice. Now he's
    apparently exhausted the ubuntu forums for a bit he's digging through
    suse's forums.

  3. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24 hours!

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > Still no crash/freeze/BSOD after 24 hours!! I must be doing something
    > wrong!!! DFS says it must crash within 20 minutes.

    Have you turned it on?

  4. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24 hours!

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:16:32 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> Still no crash/freeze/BSOD after 24 hours!! I must be doing something
    >> wrong!!! DFS says it must crash within 20 minutes.

    > Have you turned it on?

    Hahahhhahah!

    Good one!!
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24 hours!

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > Still no crash/freeze/BSOD after 24 hours!! I must be doing something
    > wrong!!! DFS says it must crash within 20 minutes.

    Less, as per some of the victims here:

    http://techxplorer.com/2008/04/23/fi...in-ubuntu-804/

  6. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24 hours!

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:16:32 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>> Still no crash/freeze/BSOD after 24 hours!! I must be doing
    >>> something wrong!!! DFS says it must crash within 20 minutes.

    >> Have you turned it on?

    > Hahahhhahah!
    >
    > Good one!!

    Maybe Hurricane Fay knocked his power out and he didn't notice? heh..

  7. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24 hours!

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:38:07 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Have you turned it on?

    >> Hahahhhahah!
    >>
    >> Good one!!

    > Maybe Hurricane Fay knocked his power out and he didn't notice? heh..

    He'll probably find a way to blame that on Windows as well.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24hours!

    On Aug 28, 2:53*am, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    wrote:
    > Still no crash/freeze/BSOD after 24 hours!! *I must be doing something
    > wrong!!! *DFS says it must crash within 20 minutes.

    I tried installing Ubuntu 8.10 alpha 4 last Friday. I thought that
    would have to crash or freeze in ten minutes being an alpha version
    but the thing keeps working. Loaded up with two virtual web sites
    under apache, ftp server, print server. No freezes or crashes. I did
    reboot this morning to install a kernel upgrade. Help DFS, what am I
    doing wrong?

  9. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24 hours!

    On 2008-08-28, DFS wrote:
    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> Still no crash/freeze/BSOD after 24 hours!! I must be doing something
    >> wrong!!! DFS says it must crash within 20 minutes.

    > Have you turned it on?

    My Hardy desktop runs nonstop and also acts as a mail, web and
    database server. It also runs comercial jobs for my MythTV backend.
    Then there's the frequent DVD ripping and occasional HD transcodes.

    I have a few other Linux boxes in the house associated with my
    MythTV setup. They aren't treated as gently as my desktop machine.

    Also have an old laptop that runs Hardy because Windows was pushing
    it too hard and it was always shuting itself down due to overheating.
    That laptop would be on the scrapheap otherwise.

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

  10. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24 hours!

    Llanzlan Klazmon wrote:
    > On Aug 28, 2:53 am, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    > wrote:
    >> Still no crash/freeze/BSOD after 24 hours!! I must be doing something
    >> wrong!!! DFS says it must crash within 20 minutes.

    > I tried installing Ubuntu 8.10 alpha 4 last Friday. I thought that
    > would have to crash or freeze in ten minutes being an alpha version
    > but the thing keeps working. Loaded up with two virtual web sites
    > under apache, ftp server, print server. No freezes or crashes. I did
    > reboot this morning to install a kernel upgrade. Help DFS, what am I
    > doing wrong?

    Using an alpha version, of course. You need to wait until the final release
    to get the really crappy code...

  11. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), Desktop/File Server/Print Server, Up 24hours!

    On Aug 29, 3:01*am, "DFS" wrote:
    > Llanzlan Klazmon wrote:
    > > On Aug 28, 2:53 am, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    > > wrote:
    > >> Still no crash/freeze/BSOD after 24 hours!! I must be doing something
    > >> wrong!!! DFS says it must crash within 20 minutes.

    > > I tried installing Ubuntu 8.10 alpha 4 last Friday. I thought that
    > > would have to crash or freeze in ten minutes being an alpha version
    > > but the thing keeps working. Loaded up with two virtual web sites
    > > under apache, ftp server, print server. No freezes or crashes. I did
    > > reboot this morning to install a kernel upgrade. Help DFS, what am I
    > > doing wrong?

    > Using an alpha version, of course. *You need to wait until the final release
    > to get the really crappy code...

    The updates have been thick and fast so there is obviously a lot of
    activity but nothing has been broken for me.

+ Reply to Thread