It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people - Linux

This is a discussion on It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people - Linux ; "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work getting opensuse 10.3 to work." http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815 This is 30 to 50 hours of his life wasted struggling with that crapware. It's insane. "Linux just works"...

  1. It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people

    "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    This is 30 to 50 hours of his life wasted struggling with that crapware.
    It's insane.

    "Linux just works"

  2. Re: It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:43:36 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    > getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815
    >
    > This is 30 to 50 hours of his life wasted struggling with that crapware.
    > It's insane.
    >

    > "Linux just works"

    A week?

    That has to be some kind of a record!

    Most people toss the Linux CD in the trash after a couple of hours.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people

    "DFS" wrote in message
    news:jIdtk.18861$vX2.2125@bignews6.bellsouth.net.. .
    > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    > getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815
    >
    > This is 30 to 50 hours of his life wasted struggling with that crapware.
    > It's insane.

    No, it's a hobby. You wouldn't buy a pre-assembled jigsaw puzzle either or
    a crossword with the solution already printed in the squares.

  4. Re: It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people

    DFS wrote:

    > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    > getting opensuse 10.3 to work."

    *yawn* This is at least the third time in the past few months you trotted
    out this particular one. Having trouble finding new Linux tales of woe, I
    suppose?

    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    The link doesn't work.

    > This is 30 to 50 hours of his life wasted struggling with that crapware.
    > It's insane.

    The Linux trouble you keep harping on is the exception, not the rule.
    Besides, a full-fledged, all paid-up Windows installation easily costs the
    same amount of time -- the $1000 or so worth of software installed on an
    average machine costs the average employee a week of hard work to earn.
    And perhaps a days or two more to actually install. And note that this is
    the rule, not the exception.

    > "Linux just works"

    Indeed, in most cases, Linux just /works/. On the other hand, Windows /just/
    works. If you're lucky and careful.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  5. Re: It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people

    DFS wrote:
    > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    > getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815
    >
    > This is 30 to 50 hours of his life wasted struggling with that crapware.
    > It's insane.

    What's insane is the amount of time you spend in cola trashing linux. At
    least he had a genuine motive.

  6. Re: It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people

    On 2008-08-27, DFS wrote:
    > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    > getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815
    >
    > This is 30 to 50 hours of his life wasted struggling with that crapware.
    > It's insane.

    ....it's almost as if someone went and installed AIX on a laptop.

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of mysql's |||
    popularity as does an attempt to do some simple date / | \

  7. Re: It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people

    On 2008-08-27, Richard Rasker wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    >> getting opensuse 10.3 to work."

    > *yawn* This is at least the third time in the past few months you trotted
    > out this particular one. Having trouble finding new Linux tales of woe, I
    > suppose?

    I remember back when laptops in general were a total Linux minefield.

    Now it's not nearly so bad.

    >> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    > The link doesn't work.
    >
    >> This is 30 to 50 hours of his life wasted struggling with that crapware.
    >> It's insane.

    [deletia]

    ....well, if some guy insists on using CentOS, or OpenSuse or Fedora as
    a desktop solution then they are probably not adverse to a little work
    to begin with.

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of mysql's |||
    popularity as does an attempt to do some simple date / | \
    manipulations in postgres.

  8. Re: It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    > getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815
    >
    > This is 30 to 50 hours of his life wasted struggling with that crapware.
    > It's insane.

    What's insane is /you/ struggling for hours and hours to find material
    to post.

    Surely you get paid a lot more if you're coding.

    What's even funnier is that you are posting this stuff to be read
    predominantly by people with working Linux systems. You're like the
    redneck that goes to the truck show and starts bad-mouthing Fords,
    telling all these stories about how they're always breaking down.
    Except you're telling the stories to Ford owners who have entered their
    trucks in the show.

    You look and sound more ridiculous than a rodeo clown.

    --
    It's always sad when the fleas leave, because that means your dog is dead.
    -- Wesley T. Williams

  9. Re: It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:32:12 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > What's insane is /you/ struggling for hours and hours to find material
    > to post.

    The same could be said of Roy Schestowitz.
    In fact even more so because Schestowitz spews it all over the net
    including digg, slashdot, propeller and various blogs.

    > You look and sound more ridiculous than a rodeo clown.

    I dunno...
    The ringmaster, Schestowitz looks and sounds worse to me.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people

    On 2008-08-27, Richard Rasker claimed:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    >> getting opensuse 10.3 to work."

    > *yawn* This is at least the third time in the past few months you trotted
    > out this particular one. Having trouble finding new Linux tales of woe, I
    > suppose?

    Whomever was supposed to proofread the MS-FUD Handbook most likely
    didn't realize it was in multiple places (probably kept going to sleep
    while trying to "correct" it), thought it was a trick that couldn't be
    used too much, or lied (just like their employer taught them to do)
    about going through the whole thing.

    >> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    > The link doesn't work.

    Doofie may have made it up and pointed to the front page knowing nobody
    will ever look for it.

    Too bad for him though. To get that kind of trick to work people would
    need to: a) know the person's word was trustworthy enough to take it as
    fact; and/or, b) give enough of a rat's behind to search for it
    themselves in the forums.

    DuFuS loses on both counts.

    --
    I used to be all over Windows. Now I'm *really* over Windows!

  11. Re: It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people

    On Aug 27, 10:43*am, "DFS" wrote:
    > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    > getting opensuse 10.3 to work."http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=63815

    Couldn't find the link above, it just dropped me into the opensuse.org
    site.

    > This is 30 to 50 hours of his life wasted struggling with that crapware.
    > It's insane.

    I shows why you should go with the commercial versions if you are a
    newcomer, or if you are installing to a new machine you haven't tested
    with SUSE before. He could have saved himself several days worth of
    effort with two phone calls to Novell/SUSE if he had been using SLED.

    Ideally, the vendor should provide the install images for the
    supported distributions, or at least the "driver dvd" image for their
    specific hardware.

    I had no problem getting SUSE 10.3 to work on my T40, but then I have
    no trouble getting any version of Linux to install on my T40, or my
    wife's R40.

    The Toshiba Setellite A200 is supported, but you do need to use a
    special driver for the WiFi card.
    I believe it's a binary-only driver, which may be why it wasn't
    automatically downloaded and installed. SLED YAST would have
    automatically downloaded that version.

    http://www.linlap.com/wiki/Toshiba+Satellite+A200

    > "Linux just works"

    I don't share my horror stories of trying to install Windows XP on my
    Z61p. Got everything installed on a 7200 RPM drive, and ended up with
    Blue Screen of Death within 20 minutes of booting.

  12. Re: It's Linux! Where TCO is off the charts for some people

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-08-27, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of
    >>> hard work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."

    >> *yawn* This is at least the third time in the past few months you
    >> trotted out this particular one. Having trouble finding new Linux
    >> tales of woe, I suppose?

    > I remember back when laptops in general were a total Linux minefield.
    >
    > Now it's not nearly so bad.
    >

    >>> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    >> The link doesn't work.
    >>
    >>> This is 30 to 50 hours of his life wasted struggling with that
    >>> crapware. It's insane.

    > [deletia]
    >
    > ...well, if some guy insists on using CentOS, or OpenSuse or Fedora as
    > a desktop solution then they are probably not adverse to a little work
    > to begin with.

    "Welcome to openSUSE.org...Our goal is to create and distribute the world's
    most usable Linux." http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

+ Reply to Thread