[News] [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It - Linux

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:28:36 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > PC Makers Attempt to 'Fix' Vista OS Themselves
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony are trying to right the Vista-OS wrongs
    > | with each creating their own software to be pre-installed on new
    > | computers in the hope of fixing perceived ease-of-use problems with
    > | Vista, according to a interesting report in today's Wall Street Journal.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007577.html

    Desperation!

    And congratulations to M$!
    Because of their slopware, they are the *first* OS to have successfully
    launched a *Windows* virus (Gammima.AG) into orbit. Of course they had
    help from some of the astronauts, whose laptops didn't have any AV
    software on them. Why, did they think they were running Linux?

    ɐ ɯoɹɟ ʇuǝs sɐʍ ǝƃɐssǝɯ sıɥʇ
    pǝǝʇuɐɹɐnƃ sı ɥɔıɥʍ ɹǝʇndɯoɔ
    ˙snɹıʌ ǝzopuıʍ $ɯ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝǝɹɟ %00⇂
    -- sɯǝʇsʎs xnuıl/nuƃ --

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > PC Makers Attempt to 'Fix' Vista OS Themselves
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony are trying to right the Vista-OS wrongs
    > | with each creating their own software to be pre-installed on new computers
    > | in the hope of fixing perceived ease-of-use problems with Vista, according
    > | to a interesting report in today's Wall Street Journal.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007577.html

    They should have come to me!

    I fixed all Vista problems, real and imagined, past present and future, on
    this machine in about 30 minutes.....

  3. [News] [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    PC Makers Attempt to 'Fix' Vista OS Themselves

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony are trying to right the Vista-OS wrongs with
    | each creating their own software to be pre-installed on new computers in the
    | hope of fixing perceived ease-of-use problems with Vista, according to a
    | interesting report in today's Wall Street Journal.
    `----

    http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007577.html

    Recent:

    Unwanted licences boost Vista numbers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "From the 30th of June, we have no longer been able to ship a PC with an XP
    | licence," said Jane Bradburn, a marketing manager for HP Australia. "However,
    | what we have been able to do with Microsoft is ship PCs with a Vista Business
    | licence but with XP pre-loaded. That is still the majority of business
    | computers we are selling today."
    |
    | Therefore the Vole's claims for high Vista sales figures are merely so much
    | steer manure. The major PC vendors are still preloading Windows XP, but
    | Microsoft is counting those XP preloads as Vista sales.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...lly-windows-xp

    Related:

    Currys group blames Vista for poor sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that poor sales of
    | Vista could slash its profits by around £20 million.
    `----

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/131507/c...oor-sales.html

    Dell casts doubts on Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
    | some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
    | Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
    | choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
    | Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
    | larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
    | an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
    `----

    http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/...ubts.on.vista/

    Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
    | experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have the
    | visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days) I've
    | created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site. *
    `----

    http://jaxed.org/lenovo-offers-downg...indows-xp.blog

    Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.olympic.pcs/

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday. *

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > And congratulations to M$!
    > Because of their slopware, they are the *first* OS to have successfully
    > launched a *Windows* virus (Gammima.AG) into orbit. Of course they had
    > help from some of the astronauts, whose laptops didn't have any AV
    > software on them. Why, did they think they were running Linux?

    Space news website SpaceRef broke the story about the virus on the
    laptops that astronauts took to the ISS.

    Nasa told SpaceRef that no command or control systems of the ISS were
    at risk from the malicious program.

    Of course! NASA was at least with it enough to dedicate them to a more
    prosaic purpose:

    The laptops infected with the virus were used to run nutritional
    programs and let the astronauts periodically send e-mail back to
    Earth.

    A nice use for Windows, you'll all agree.

    The laptops carried by astronauts reportedly do not have any
    anti-virus software on them to prevent infection.

    Yeah, those average Windows users are pretty damn stupid, ain't they?

    --
    There is an order of things in this universe.
    -- Apollo, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:28:36 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > PC Makers Attempt to 'Fix' Vista OS Themselves
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony are trying to right the Vista-OS wrongs
    > | with each creating their own software to be pre-installed on new
    > | computers in the hope of fixing perceived ease-of-use problems with
    > | Vista, according to a interesting report in today's Wall Street Journal.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007577.html

    Desperation!

    And congratulations to M$!
    Because of their slopware, they are the *first* OS to have successfully
    launched a *Windows* virus (Gammima.AG) into orbit. Of course they had
    help from some of the astronauts, whose laptops didn't have any AV
    software on them. Why, did they think they were running Linux?

    ? ?o?? ?u?s s?? ???ss?? si??
    p???u???n? si ??i?? ???nd?o?
    ?sn?i? ?zopui? $? ??? ?o ???? %00?
    -- s???s?s xnuil/nu? --

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    In article <16489962.YoeVPzNzVp@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > PC Makers Attempt to 'Fix' Vista OS Themselves
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony are trying to right the Vista-OS
    > | wrongs with each creating their own software to be pre-installed on
    > | new computers in the hope of fixing perceived ease-of-use problems
    > | with Vista, according to a interesting report in today's Wall
    > | Street Journal.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007577.html

    Interesting how you praise it when Linux distributors do the same thing.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    Timmy wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> PC Makers Attempt to 'Fix' Vista OS Themselves
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony are trying to right the Vista-OS
    >> | wrongs with each creating their own software to be pre-installed on
    >> | new computers in the hope of fixing perceived ease-of-use problems
    >> | with Vista, according to a interesting report in today's Wall
    >> | Street Journal.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007577.html

    >Interesting how you praise it when Linux distributors do the same thing.

    What would be "interesting" about that, Timmy? Do you find the above
    article to be critical of Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony?

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    In article ,
    chrisv wrote:
    > >Interesting how you praise it when Linux distributors do the same thing.

    > What would be "interesting" about that, Timmy? Do you find the above
    > article to be critical of Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony?

    Could you tell me your native language? I could then maybe get my post
    translated into that for you, and you'd have a chance of comprehending
    it. You don't seem to be capable of handling English.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  10. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    On Aug 27, 8:27*am, bbgruff wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > PC Makers Attempt to 'Fix' Vista OS Themselves

    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > > | Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony are trying to right the Vista-OS wrongs
    > > | with each creating their own software to be pre-installed on new computers
    > > | in the hope of fixing perceived ease-of-use problems with Vista, according
    > > | to a interesting report in today's Wall Street Journal.
    > > `----

    > >http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007577.html

    > They should have come to me!
    >
    > I fixed all Vista problems, real and imagined, past present and future, on
    > this machine in about 30 minutes.....

    You installed Linux, didn't you :-D

    Rex

  11. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    On Aug 27, 7:41*pm, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,

    > *chrisv wrote:
    > > >Interesting how you praise it when Linux distributors do the same thing.

    > > What would be "interesting" about that, Timmy? *Do you find the above
    > > article to be critical of Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony?

    This does remind me of Harley Davidson back in the 1980s. Harley
    would send bikes to the dealers,
    but they were so defective that it often took the dealers a week to
    get the parts and get them into running condition. Of course, the
    dealers got so good at doing the work themselves that nearly every
    Harley became a custom job, and it completely changed the way
    motorcycles were sold to the bikers who could afford them.

    Perhaps the OEMs will get so good at "Fixing" Windows that they will
    start doing "custom jobs" like installing Linux as the primary
    operating system and installing Vista or XP or Windows 2000 as the
    secondary operating system. And if Microsoft cuts off support for XP
    and 2K, oh well, I guess I'll just have to use Linux then.

    Rex

  12. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:32:38 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:

    > On Aug 27, 7:41*pm, Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> What would be "interesting" about that, Timmy? *Do you find the above
    >>> article to be critical of Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony?

    > This does remind me of Harley Davidson back in the 1980s. Harley
    > would send bikes to the dealers,
    > but they were so defective that it often took the dealers a week to
    > get the parts and get them into running condition. Of course, the
    > dealers got so good at doing the work themselves that nearly every
    > Harley became a custom job, and it completely changed the way
    > motorcycles were sold to the bikers who could afford them.
    >
    > Perhaps the OEMs will get so good at "Fixing" Windows that they will
    > start doing "custom jobs" like installing Linux as the primary
    > operating system and installing Vista or XP or Windows 2000 as the
    > secondary operating system. And if Microsoft cuts off support for XP
    > and 2K, oh well, I guess I'll just have to use Linux then.
    >
    > Rex

    Wrong again Rex.......

    AMF bought the Harley company in the late 1960's and ran it into the ground
    by trying to automate the process completely which killed the quality
    control.

    Harley bought back their company in the early 1980's and immediately went
    back to the old methods of production.

    The dealers lost their shirts when AMF tanked the company.

    As for your second paragraph why not ring up Bob Sutor and ask him when
    Linux will become the official IBM mobile employee platform....

    Wasn't this promised years ago?

    So what's holding it back?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  13. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    Rex Ballard wrote:

    >> I fixed all Vista problems, real and imagined, past present and future,
    >> on this machine in about 30 minutes.....

    > You installed Linux, didn't you :-D

    You weren't supposed to spoil the punchline. :~)

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  14. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista so Bad That OEMs Try to 'Fix' It

    Timmy wrote:

    >[running away with tail between the legs]

    You implied hypocrisy where there was none, Timmy.

    The quality of your trolling is declining, Timmy. Try to pick it up a
    notch or two.

+ Reply to Thread