[News] Open Source Faker Found: Opentape - Linux

  1. [News] Open Source Faker Found: Opentape

    Opentape: Not Quite Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Opentape appears, in its current state, to offer an especially stark example
    | of the connection between copyrights and open source. At least one developer
    | who can't be bothered about music copyrights can't be bothered about software
    | copyrights either. It doesn't seem that this is a good way to call for
    | support from the open source community.
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/171742-blog/opent...te-open-source

    Recent:

    British Government Violates Copyright

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
    | this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
    | enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
    | Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
    | its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…
    `----

    http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

    UK government stole website theme

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | NUMBER 10, the UK Prime Minister's website, is apparently built using a
    | design it nicked.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-stole-website

    Number 10 and the Creative Commons

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I can only assume that Number 10 have requested, and received, permission of
    | the author to remove all traces of this license and attribution from their
    | Wordpress site. I have left a “contact us message” at the author’s website to
    | see if this is the case…
    |
    | [Update] Anthony Baggett, the theme’s author, has just confirmed that No 10
    | have not requested that the attribution be removed. That’s not playing fair
    | by my book.
    `----

    http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008...ative-commons/

    Timber! (More on Number 10’s website)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, out of 24 files in the original theme package, only three files have been
    | removed. If you look here in the comments from my post of yesterday, you can
    | read what Dave Smith of NMM said:
    |
    | 1. The only file that was drawn upon from Ant’s theme was the css file.
    |
    | Now clearly some of the files above will be pre-requisites for any Wordpress
    | theme (like index.php for example) but 21 out of 24?.
    |
    | I’m sure I can smell something quite smelly around here.
    `----

    http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008...-on-number-10/

    More on Number 10’s website fiasco

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The original stylesheet4 is 612 lines in length and is 9234 bytes in size
    | (9KB).
    |
    | The modified stylesheet5 is 3826 lines long and weighs in at a frankly
    | astonishing 63724 bytes (63KB)!
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | “If” the developers have modified the Wordpress engine, as is being suggested
    | as a possibility here, and then sold it to the Government, in my humble
    | understanding that means they have distributed their modifications. That
    | means those modifications must also be licensed under the GPL. I had a quick
    | look on New Media Maze’s web site and couldn’t find an area for software
    | downloads or mention of the GPL. That doesn’t say anything to be honest and
    | there might be nothing to this, but it would be interesting to find out a bit
    | more… Is there a real Wordpress guru who can look at the “footprint” of the
    | XHTML the site generates and tell if it is different? Or are there any other
    | ways to tell if it has been modified?
    |
    | Anyway, what a wheez this all is for us bloggers: It just isn’t Gordon’s year
    | is it…
    `----

    http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008...-on-number-10/

    US presidential candidate is a pirate

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | THE PRESUMED Republican US presidential candidate John McCain favours
    | draconian copyright enforcement, except when his own election campaign uses
    | other people's music.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...tial-candidate

  2. Re: [News] Open Source Faker Found: Opentape

    In article <2930921.AOvocXYN7A@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > UK government stole website theme
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | NUMBER 10, the UK Prime Minister's website, is apparently built using a
    > | design it nicked.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ment-stole-web
    > site

    So stealing designs is bad, but stealing artwork is OK? Interesting.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  3. Re: [News] Open Source Faker Found: Opentape

    Timmy wrote:

    >So stealing designs is bad, but stealing artwork is OK? Interesting.

    Who here is guilty of "stealing" artwork, Timmy? Pretty sorry excuse
    for trolling, to bring-up that old issue for the Nth time...

    "You're not pure and perfect! You can't talk about anyone else!"

    --
    "I'm a liar." - Hadron Quark

  4. Re: [News] Open Source Faker Found: Opentape

  5. Re: [News] Open Source Faker Found: Opentape

    In article ,
    chrisv wrote:
    [idiocy]

    It's not an old issue. Read more carefully next time.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: [News] Open Source Faker Found: Opentape

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:14:55 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ chrisv on Wednesday 27 August 2008 20:57 : \____
    >
    >> Timmy wrote:

    > harlow-monkeys. At least there, it's not a case of trolling a /Linux/ forum.

    Whatever you say *Techguy*.....

    Point is you used copyrighted graphics images without the author's
    permission and even after being informed as well as contacted by said
    author you took your sweet time removing them.

    You're a fake, a fraud and a phony Roy Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: Open Source Faker Found: Opentape

    On Aug 27, 9:40*am, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:12:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > >| Opentape appears, in its current state, to offer an especially stark example
    > >| of the connection between copyrights and open source. At least one developer
    > >| who can't be bothered about music copyrights can't be bothered about software
    > >| copyrights either.

    Reading the whole article, it appears that the OpenTape package didn't
    have ANY copyright notices, NOR did it have any License agreements.
    One might assume that this was Public Domain. The problem is that
    several files were copyrighted works by other authors, and the
    required licenses were not included.

    > He sounds like the perfect spokesperson for the Open Source community.
    > You freetards don't like paying for anything.

    And it seems like WinTrolls seem to have no problem with Software
    Piracy. How many WinTrolls are still using the Vista they got from
    MSDN, even though the license agreement requires that you stop using
    it when the GA version is available. How many of you are using Office
    that you got from MSDN, even though that was also supposed to be
    destroyed or a full license purchased?

    How many of you are using "OEM" copies purchased through a computer
    fair or other questionable source?

    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > Collector of soaps

+ Reply to Thread