Calling flash write during kernel panic. - Linux

This is a discussion on Calling flash write during kernel panic. - Linux ; Hello, I have some device with linux 2.4 kernel and flash device. In case of kernel panic I have to write kernel messages into flash. Even if in kernel panic phase I can expect not all modules and/or drivers are ...

  1. Calling flash write during kernel panic.

    Hello,

    I have some device with linux 2.4 kernel and flash device. In case of
    kernel panic I have to
    write kernel messages into flash. Even if in kernel panic phase I can
    expect not all
    modules and/or drivers are working fine I would like to try write it.

    What is the best way to do that? Some hints or experience?

    ja.

  2. Re: Calling flash write during kernel panic.

    On Aug 27, 12:17*pm, cont...@fr.pl wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > *I have some device with linux 2.4 kernel and flash device. In case of
    > kernel panic I have to
    > *write kernel messages into flash. Even if in kernel panic phase I can
    > expect not all
    > *modules and/or drivers are working fine I would like to try write it.
    >
    > *What is the best way to do that? Some hints or experience?
    >
    > ja.

    Hi,
    there's a function called panic inside kernel which is being
    called when in kernel panic. Search for this function. I guess you can
    use this if u want to write anything on flash in kernel panic.

    Ciao,
    zix

  3. Re: Calling flash write during kernel panic.

    "sudip05@mailcity.com" writes:
    > On Aug 27, 12:17*pm, cont...@fr.pl wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> *I have some device with linux 2.4 kernel and flash device. In case of
    >> kernel panic I have to
    >> *write kernel messages into flash. Even if in kernel panic phase I can
    >> expect not all
    >> *modules and/or drivers are working fine I would like to try write it.
    >>
    >> *What is the best way to do that? Some hints or experience?
    >>
    >> ja.

    > there's a function called panic inside kernel which is being
    > called when in kernel panic. Search for this function. I guess you can
    > use this if u want to write anything on flash in kernel panic.

    The usual cause of a kernel panic would be an otherwise uncorrectable
    error condition inside the kernel, eg memory corruption, which
    resulted in a valid pointer being overwritten with a value which
    happened to trigger a MMU fault instead of leading to yet more data
    structures or code(!) being overwritten. It would therefore be prudent
    to be extremly careful with invoking operations causing 'permanent
    side effects' somewhere in case of a panic.

+ Reply to Thread