[News] AMD/ATI/Radeon Free Driver Improves - Linux

  1. Re: [News] AMD/ATI/Radeon Free Driver Improves

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Open-Source Radeon Driver Improvements
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | For those following the xf86-video-ati developments or use this
    > open-source
    > | Radeon driver for their graphics card, you may want to check out the
    > latest
    > | development code. Committed to its git branch today was a lot of new
    > work
    > | from Alex Deucher, Dennis Kasprzyk, David Airlie, Egbert Eich, and
    > Corbin
    > | Simpson.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjY3NA

    Perhaps, but I've had much better results using Linux+NVidia than I have
    with ATI. Maybe things are changing but I think that too many Linux users
    have struggled with ATI and I don't see them rushing back.

    BTW... since you live in the future could you post tonights winning lottery
    numbers when you get a chance.

    - ss

> [...]
    >

    > AMD Releases Stream SDK For Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | NVIDIA's competition for Stream computing is CUDA, which is the Compute
    > | Unified Device Architecture, or CUDA for short. CUDA has been supported
    > on
    > | Linux now for some time and NVIDIA is in the process of bringing PhysX
    > | CUDA, for physics acceleration thanks to their acquisition of AGEIA.
    > Intel's
    > | competition is Ct, or C for Throughput Computing.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...released&num=1
    >

    > AMD Stream SDK Coming To Linux Soon
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | NVIDIA has long supported their CUDA (Compute Unified Device
    > Architecture)
    > | technology on Linux for allowing general-purpose code algorithms to be
    > | executed on the graphics processor, while AMD and their Stream Computing
    > | support has been absent on Linux. AMD has only been supporting their
    > Stream
    > | SDK on Windows XP, but this morning we have confirmation that the
    > Software
    > | Development Kit will be released for Linux in the coming days.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjQ2Mw
    >

    > ATI/AMD's Open-Source Plans
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Starting off the X.Org talks at FOSDEM 2008 was AMD's John Bridgman, who
    > has
    > | been leading the AMD GPG open-source efforts. John had talked briefly
    > about
    > | the history of their open-source efforts for the R500+ series and the
    > | evolution of AMD GPU hardware. Among the interesting comments made were
    > that
    > | TexturedVideo/X-Video support for the R500/600 may be coming quite soon,
    > DRM
    > | and Mesa work forthcoming, open-source multi-GPU multi-GPU support is on
    > the
    > | road-map, and they will be re-releasing R200 programming documents. The
    > RV620
    > | and RV635 documentation is expected in the near future.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...bridgman&num=1
    >

    > Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | AMD's recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the
    > best
    > | news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427
    >

    > AMD Launches Open GPU Website
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | AMD has today launched their new open GPU documentation website for
    > | register-level documents covering their ATI Radeon products. In
    > addition,
    > | they are now providing an email address for any open-source developers
    > who
    > | may have questions concerning these documents.

  2. [News] AMD/ATI/Radeon Free Driver Improves

    `----

> [...]

    | road-map, and they will be re-releasing R200 programming documents. The RV620
    | and RV635 documentation is expected in the near future.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...bridgman&num=1

    Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
    | news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

    AMD Launches Open GPU Website

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | AMD has today launched their new open GPU documentation website for
    | register-level documents covering their ATI Radeon products. In addition,
    | they are now providing an email address for any open-source developers who
    | may have questions concerning these documents.

+ Reply to Thread