New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far! - Linux

This is a discussion on New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far! - Linux ; Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) this morning. Four hours without a BSOD! Pretty amazing!!!...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) this morning. Four hours without
    a BSOD! Pretty amazing!!!

  2. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) *this morning. *Four hours without
    > a BSOD! *Pretty amazing!!!

    Welcome to the Linux world. Waiting for Linux to crash is kind of like
    watching paint peel. If crashes are what you want, you'll probably need to

    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Tuesday 26 August 2008 20:08 : \____
    >
    >> Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) this morning. Four hours without
    >> a BSOD! Pretty amazing!!!

    > Is a Linux BSoD blue? Never seen one.

    It's whatever colour your virtual console is set to.
    Usually white on black.

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  4. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, RonB

    wrote
    on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:18:10 -0500
    :
    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >> Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) *this morning. *Four hours without
    >> a BSOD! *Pretty amazing!!!

    > Welcome to the Linux world. Waiting for Linux to crash is kind of like
    > watching paint peel. If crashes are what you want, you'll probably need to

    Be careful with that analogy! :-)

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9723221-7.html

    An unfortunate happenstance; I for one would have
    wanted better for car #77, the driver Roberto
    Moreno, and the Chastain Motorsports team.
    He crashed 38 laps in on turn 1, according to
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Indianapolis_500
    and was the first car to be eliminated, to the
    embarrassment of all Tux-loving fandom that year.

    Car #2 from Vision Racing, driven by Tomas Scheckter,
    sponsored apparently by Joost, fared better, placing
    in 7th.

    I'm not sure Tux will be on NASCAR; Google did not
    cough up anything relevant except for Tux's unfortunate
    Indy car debut.

    Roberto Moreno did not race at Indianapolis in 2008.
    Scheckter suffered a broken driveshaft and had to
    drop out of the race on lap 153, despite racing well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Indianapolis_500

    Of course Linux can't be blamed for hardware problems
    such as road debris and engine failures. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Now in nine exciting editions. Try them all!

  5. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

  6. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) this morning. Four hours without
    > a BSOD! Pretty amazing!!!

    It's fairly unusual. No less than 3 of the tiny number of cola participants
    have been victimized by the Ubuntu freezing problem.

    Also, here's a hint for you: You'll never get a BSOD with Linux.

  7. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:46:09 -0400
    :
    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) this morning. Four hours without
    >> a BSOD! Pretty amazing!!!

    > It's fairly unusual. No less than 3 of the tiny number of cola participants
    > have been victimized by the Ubuntu freezing problem.
    >
    > Also, here's a hint for you: You'll never get a BSOD with Linux.

    No, but according to you we'll get freezes, panics, and
    other such shoddiness.

    Or maybe it's not you, but the posters you represent
    (which are posting on the Ubuntu forums).

    Without more information, how are we supposed to fix these
    problems? Assuming they're real problems, as opposed
    to Noise, Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt, and Absolute Fiction
    (NFUDAF?)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: No such file or directory

  8. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    On 2008-08-27, DFS wrote:
    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) this morning. Four hours without
    >> a BSOD! Pretty amazing!!!

    > It's fairly unusual. No less than 3 of the tiny number of cola participants
    > have been victimized by the Ubuntu freezing problem.

    Which 3 would these be? Besides sock puppets.

    There are plenty of happy campers in the Ubuntu Forums that you like
    to quote from. Of course you conveniently ignore the posts from people
    successfully doing more interesting desktop tasks with Ubuntu than you
    do.

    > Also, here's a hint for you: You'll never get a BSOD with Linux.

    --

    Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone |||
    who has pirated their music / | \

  9. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:46:09 -0400
    > :
    >> nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>> Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) this morning. Four hours
    >>> without a BSOD! Pretty amazing!!!

    >> It's fairly unusual. No less than 3 of the tiny number of cola
    >> participants have been victimized by the Ubuntu freezing problem.
    >>
    >> Also, here's a hint for you: You'll never get a BSOD with Linux.
    >>

    > No, but according to you we'll get freezes, panics, and
    > other such shoddiness.

    You might. Some of those guys report freezing going back 3 versions.

    > Or maybe it's not you, but the posters you represent
    > (which are posting on the Ubuntu forums).
    >
    > Without more information, how are we supposed to fix these
    > problems?

    Sorry, but you'll have to do your own research. When you really read up on
    this freezing problem, you find out many of them never get solved.

    > Assuming they're real problems, as opposed
    > to Noise, Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt, and Absolute Fiction
    > (NFUDAF?)

    They sound real to me. You can hear the underlying anger and frustration as
    Linux freezes and crashes and loses their work and wastes their time.

  10. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) this morning. Four hours without
    >> a BSOD! Pretty amazing!!!

    > It's fairly unusual. No less than 3 of the tiny number of cola participants
    > have been victimized by the Ubuntu freezing problem.
    >
    > Also, here's a hint for you: You'll never get a BSOD with Linux.

    Indeed.

    $ uptime
    07:44:13 up 133 days, 13:53, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.20, 0.24

    $ uname -a
    Linux rock 2.6.24-amd64-ca #1 SMP Tue Jan 29 22:20:19 EST 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    Reminds me, I ought to upgrade my kernel when I get a chance.

    The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.26.3

    Debian rocks, by the way. Better than XP, in my opinion. Certainly
    easier to deal with.

    --
    The only thing cheaper than hardware is talk.

  11. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > They sound real to me. You can hear the underlying anger and frustration as
    > Linux freezes and crashes and loses their work and wastes their time.

    I wonder how many of them are employees of Microsoft's Linux lab.

    --
    Psychology. Mind over matter. Mind under matter? It doesn't matter.
    Never mind.

  12. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-08-27, DFS wrote:
    >> nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>> Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) this morning. Four hours without
    >>> a BSOD! Pretty amazing!!!

    >> It's fairly unusual. No less than 3 of the tiny number of cola participants
    >> have been victimized by the Ubuntu freezing problem.

    > Which 3 would these be? Besides sock puppets.
    >
    > There are plenty of happy campers in the Ubuntu Forums that you like
    > to quote from. Of course you conveniently ignore the posts from people
    > successfully doing more interesting desktop tasks with Ubuntu than you
    > do.

    That's the essence of dissimulation, A.K.A. lying.

    It's like quoting posts from a forum for herpes victims, in order
    to make naive readers think that all people have herpes.

    --
    "Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion."
    -- Harlan Ellison

  13. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:52:02 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> They sound real to me. You can hear the underlying anger and frustration as
    >> Linux freezes and crashes and loses their work and wastes their time.

    > I wonder how many of them are employees of Microsoft's Linux lab.

    Did [Homer] or Schestowitz send you a tinfoil hat in the mail?
    If so, the straps are on too tight.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  14. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:52:02 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> They sound real to me. You can hear the underlying anger and frustration as
    >>> Linux freezes and crashes and loses their work and wastes their time.

    >> I wonder how many of them are employees of Microsoft's Linux lab.

    > Did [Homer] or Schestowitz send you a tinfoil hat in the mail?
    > If so, the straps are on too tight.

    Why else does Microsoft have a Linux lab?

    What better way to find "problems" to post about?

    I'm sure plenty of those posts are legitimate. But when someone starts
    a non-stop one-man problem circus centered about the most popular Linux
    distro, it makes you wonder. Even if you believe DFS is just a lone
    gun-man, getting recompense only through the jollies of trolling, how
    many other people out there get their jollies the same way?

    Microsoft's been asstroturfing and smurfing against "niche" technologies
    for 15 years, if you can believe the late Joe Barr. Although the
    majority may be self-motivated, you really have to wonder, in light of
    the publishing of Microsoft's "Evangelism is War" holy-war tract.

    Believe me, I would find that stuff difficult to credit on its own. But
    with the long extant history of Microsoft's propaganda efforts, the
    unauthorized (except by the courts) of Microsoft's own propaganda
    materials, and the /current/ on-going "Get the Facts" and
    web-advertisement 'turing campaign, I don't find this possbility
    unlikely at all.

    Microsoft makes Scientology look like Amway.

    --
    The Celts invented two things, Whiskey and self-destruction.

  15. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:36:18 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:52:02 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> I wonder how many of them are employees of Microsoft's Linux lab.

    >> Did [Homer] or Schestowitz send you a tinfoil hat in the mail?
    >> If so, the straps are on too tight.

    > Why else does Microsoft have a Linux lab?

    For the same reason Ford dissects Toyota cars.
    To learn about the competition.

    > What better way to find "problems" to post about?

    Not a good return on time.
    Besides, Linux *just works*, according to the Linux advocates, like
    Nessuno.

    > I'm sure plenty of those posts are legitimate. But when someone starts
    > a non-stop one-man problem circus centered about the most popular Linux
    > distro, it makes you wonder.

    He's not slamming the distro per se' he is exposing the "just works" crowd.

    > Even if you believe DFS is just a lone
    > gun-man, getting recompense only through the jollies of trolling, how
    > many other people out there get their jollies the same way?

    I dunno.
    If you look at those threads you can see people chiming in who have the
    same or similar problems.

    Rabid Linux advocates tend to be liars.
    They lie for LIEnux...
    Much of it is lying by omission, which is one of Schestowitz's tactics.

    The Linux advocates have been doing it for years and mostly getting away
    with it because when they would get confronted by someone having a problem
    with Linux they would simply discredit the user and deny the problems
    existed.

    That tactic no longer works because of the number of average Joe users who
    are now using Linux, and seeing the bugs.

    > Microsoft's been asstroturfing and smurfing against "niche" technologies
    > for 15 years, if you can believe the late Joe Barr. Although the
    > majority may be self-motivated, you really have to wonder, in light of
    > the publishing of Microsoft's "Evangelism is War" holy-war tract.

    All companies have *Evangelists*.
    OS/2 had TeamOS2 for example.

    > Believe me, I would find that stuff difficult to credit on its own. But
    > with the long extant history of Microsoft's propaganda efforts, the
    > unauthorized (except by the courts) of Microsoft's own propaganda
    > materials, and the /current/ on-going "Get the Facts" and
    > web-advertisement 'turing campaign, I don't find this possbility
    > unlikely at all.

    Anything is possible, but there are much better ways of reaching more
    people.
    The press for example.

    > Microsoft makes Scientology look like Amway.

    Schestowitz is to Linux what Pat Robertson is religion.
    He scares away more people than he converts.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    Linonut wrote:

    >Microsoft's been asstroturfing and smurfing against "niche" technologies
    >for 15 years, if you can believe the late Joe Barr. Although the
    >majority may be self-motivated, you really have to wonder, in light of
    >the publishing of Microsoft's "Evangelism is War" holy-war tract.
    >
    >Believe me, I would find that stuff difficult to credit on its own. But
    >with the long extant history of Microsoft's propaganda efforts, the
    >unauthorized (except by the courts) of Microsoft's own propaganda
    >materials, and the /current/ on-going "Get the Facts" and
    >web-advertisement 'turing campaign, I don't find this possbility
    >unlikely at all.
    >
    >Microsoft makes Scientology look like Amway.

    They are some evil bastards, no doubt. There's $BILLIONS at stake,
    and they're playing hardball.

    --
    "Why would you recommend a non-perfect solution?" - Erik Funkenbusch

  17. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    Bull****.

    > The Linux advocates have been doing it for years and mostly getting away
    > with it because when they would get confronted by someone having a problem
    > with Linux they would simply discredit the user and deny the problems
    > existed.

    Bull****.

    Looks like your lucid period is about over.

    You said you'd be out on the road soon. Sounds like you're hurriedly
    dishing out a few more dollops of nonsense to tide us over while you're
    away.

    --
    Laetrile is the pits.

  18. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:18:08 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:46:09 -0400
    > :
    >> nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>> Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) this morning. Four hours without
    >>> a BSOD! Pretty amazing!!!

    >> It's fairly unusual. No less than 3 of the tiny number of cola
    >> participants have been victimized by the Ubuntu freezing problem.
    >>
    >> Also, here's a hint for you: You'll never get a BSOD with Linux.
    >>

    > No, but according to you we'll get freezes, panics, and other such
    > shoddiness.

    Oh, but we do, we do. I've had kernel panics, for example. 'Course,
    they could be traced to faulty hardware in a couple cases, and me
    fiddling with kernel code in the rest.

    And yeah, I get occasional freezes, where the UI goes unresponsive.
    Generally this means I've got too damn many things running, the system is
    swapping like mad and thus not responding promptly. Solution? Reduce
    load - stop trying to cram 4GB worth of apps and data into a 2GB
    memory.

  19. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:35:26 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Rabid Linux advocates tend to be liars.
    >> They lie for LIEnux...
    >> Much of it is lying by omission, which is one of Schestowitz's tactics.

    > Bull****.

    Fact....

    See Schestowitz for proof.

    >> The Linux advocates have been doing it for years and mostly getting away
    >> with it because when they would get confronted by someone having a problem
    >> with Linux they would simply discredit the user and deny the problems
    >> existed.

    > Bull****.
    >
    > Looks like your lucid period is about over.

    Sorry Linonut, I tell it like it is.
    I'm not nor have I ever been one to sugar coat everything and walk around
    COLA like I am walking on broken glass.

    I save that for you guys who patronize each other so much it's nauseating.
    It must suck to be afraid to speak what you really think for fear of being
    ostracized.

    That was one thing Kier was good at.
    He didn't follow the Linux religious line like most of you yet he was a far
    better advocate than most of this group.

    So what happened?
    The Linux mafia attacked him.

    Be careful what you wish for because you will end up with a group of
    William Poaster's who cannot think for themselves due to lack of a brain.

    > You said you'd be out on the road soon. Sounds like you're hurriedly
    > dishing out a few more dollops of nonsense to tide us over while you're
    > away.

    And you're just revving up the gang with your unsubstantiated garbage.
    I'm not going anywhere BTW, I'll just be posting less.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: New Ubuntu Hardy Installation, no BSOD, 4 hours so far!

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > I'm not going anywhere BTW, I'll just be posting less.

    Under this particular nym, you mean. You can't stay away, trollboi.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast