  1. Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    "Hardy freezes for me when:
    Evolution mail is finished downloading new mails"

    #327 at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=33

    "Linux just works", Linux idiots lying for the last decade

    "Ubuntu is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers" www.ubuntu.com

  2. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Hardy freezes for me when:
    > Evolution mail is finished downloading new mails"
    >
    > #327 at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=33
    >
    > "Linux just works", Linux idiots lying for the last decade
    > "Ubuntu is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers" www.ubuntu.com

    Just to note: cherry-picking problem reports and using them in the way
    you do is best construed as lying, itself.

    --
    Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.

  3. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:18:13 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> "Hardy freezes for me when:
    >> Evolution mail is finished downloading new mails"
    >>
    >> #327 at
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=33
    >>
    >> "Linux just works", Linux idiots lying for the last decade
    >> "Ubuntu is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers" www.ubuntu.com

    > Just to note: cherry-picking problem reports and using them in the way
    > you do is best construed as lying, itself.

    And why is this different from what Schestowitz does 8 zillion times a
    month?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:52:13 -0400
    :
    > "Hardy freezes for me when:
    > Evolution mail is finished downloading new mails"
    >
    > #327 at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=33
    >

    > "Linux just works", Linux idiots lying for the last decade
    >
    > "Ubuntu is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers" www.ubuntu.com

    Lack of specifics. What hardware? What symptoms?
    At least he specifies that it freezes when Evolution
    downloads mail, but it seems to be horrifyingly random
    -- which may indicate hardware/power supply troubles.
    Also /var/log/messages might be of some assistance,
    though one might have already checked there (he mentions
    not getting a log/crashreport).

    I'd do a memtest86 on that beastie, at least. I bought a
    2 GB RAM memory stick once -- and it turned out to be bad.
    Admittedly, the symptoms were rather different.

    But never mind, Vista works just perfectly on that machine
    (whatever the hell it is!) so it must be a Linux problem,
    right? :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }

  5. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Because all DFS posts is ****ing problem reports. Nothing else.

    --
    I've always felt sorry for people that don't drink -- remember,
    when they wake up, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day!

  6. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:03:34 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:18:13 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Just to note: cherry-picking problem reports and using them in the way
    >>> you do is best construed as lying, itself.

    >> And why is this different from what Schestowitz does 8 zillion times a
    >> month?

    > Because all DFS posts is ****ing problem reports. Nothing else.

    That's all I see Schestowitz do wrt to Microsoft, Gates etc.
    Problems, conspiracy theories, hate messages, half truths, lies and so
    forth.
    And when you look at the evidence he offers to back up his claims, much of
    it is laughable.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    > That's all I see Schestowitz do wrt to Microsoft, Gates etc.
    > Problems, conspiracy theories, hate messages, half truths, lies and so
    > forth.

    Bull.

    Much of the stuff is GNU/Linux specific, positive stories.

    > And when you look at the evidence he offers to back up his claims, much of
    > it is laughable.

    Whatever. You want to know more, you have to follow the links and read
    'em.

    --
    Anthony's Law of the Workshop:
    Any tool when dropped, will roll into the least accessible

  8. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:21:40 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> That's all I see Schestowitz do wrt to Microsoft, Gates etc.
    >> Problems, conspiracy theories, hate messages, half truths, lies and so
    >> forth.

    > Bull.
    >
    > Much of the stuff is GNU/Linux specific, positive stories.

    Read what I wrote...

    >> And when you look at the evidence he offers to back up his claims, much of
    >> it is laughable.

    > Whatever. You want to know more, you have to follow the links and read
    > 'em.

    He's counting on people not doing that which is one reason for the
    convoluted formatting and sheer amount of postings.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:03:34 -0400
    :
    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:18:13 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Just to note: cherry-picking problem reports and using them in the way
    >>> you do is best construed as lying, itself.

    >> And why is this different from what Schestowitz does 8 zillion times a
    >> month?

    > Because all DFS posts is ****ing problem reports. Nothing else.

    Isn't he in the wrong newsgroup for that? I'd suggest alt.sex,
    a very cold shower, or a good long talk with his partner...
    :-) ;-) :-)

    But yes, one has to note the lack of specifics --
    is the computer a 486 or an overclocked Xeon, for
    example? Is there a funny device whose driver is buggy?
    Has memtest86 been run to verify good memory? Do any of
    the disk drives have problems? Does the cat like to chew
    on the power cord? :-)

    I will note that Evolution is unhappy with our corporate
    network now; I have no idea why.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    fortune: not found

  10. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > I will note that Evolution is unhappy with our corporate
    > network now; I have no idea why.

    How so?

    Are you using Outlook Web Access for it, or IMAP?

    Maybe Corporate changed it all without telling anyone .

    --
    In the middle of a wide field is a pot of gold. 100 feet to the north stands
    a smart manager. 100 feet to the south stands a dumb manager. 100 feet to

    Q: Who gets to the pot of gold first?
    A: The dumb manager. All the rest are myths.

  11. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:54:58 -0400
    <9F0tk.17382$De7.963@bignews7.bellsouth.net>:
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> I will note that Evolution is unhappy with our corporate
    >> network now; I have no idea why.

    > How so?
    >
    > Are you using Outlook Web Access for it, or IMAP?
    >
    > Maybe Corporate changed it all without telling anyone .

    IMAP, and ever since I changed my password yesterday it's been flaky,
    though I think it's settled down somewhat. (With any luck.)

    The good news: I can push out my calendar and schedule meetings.
    But really, it should be a more transparent process... :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    People think that libraries are safe. They're wrong. They have ideas.
    (Also occasionally ectoplasmic slime and cute librarians.)

  12. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:18:13 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> "Hardy freezes for me when:
    >>> Evolution mail is finished downloading new mails"
    >>>
    >>> #327 at
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=33
    >>>
    >>> "Linux just works", Linux idiots lying for the last decade
    >>> "Ubuntu is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers" www.ubuntu.com

    >> Just to note: cherry-picking problem reports and using them in the
    >> way you do is best construed as lying, itself.

    Where's the lie? Last I heard Ubuntu was a Linux distro, and those are
    direct quotes from the victims of the slopware.

    Or is this one of those "Linux is just the kernel" retorts? 'Cause I NEVER
    see you saying that when Spamowitz or anyone else says "Linux does this
    well" or "Linux does that well" or "Linux is taking over in Kerala India"

    > And why is this different from what Schestowitz does 8 zillion times a
    > month?

    The difference is I don't tag a lie/fantasy title onto my posts. For
    instance, today Spamowitz said

    * Microsoft is trying to "ruin the law"
    * Windows delayed flights at all airports
    etc

  13. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:52:13 -0400
    > :
    >> "Hardy freezes for me when:
    >> Evolution mail is finished downloading new mails"
    >>
    >> #327 at
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=33
    >>
    >> "Linux just works", Linux idiots lying for the last decade
    >>
    >> "Ubuntu is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers" www.ubuntu.com
    >>

    > Lack of specifics. What hardware?

    In another post (#329) he says "ATI-card yes (ATI mobility radeon X700).
    Latest ATI-drivers 8.7 installed. When i used the opensource drivers in
    7.10 i experienced great loss in prestanda compared to the resricted ones."

    But the freezing is across every kind of hardware: laptops, desktops, Intel,
    AMD, nVidia, ATI, wired routers, wireless routers, SATA drives, SCSI drives,
    etc

    > What symptoms?

    Usually random and complete lockups requiring a hard boot. Linux just
    works!

    > At least he specifies that it freezes when Evolution
    > downloads mail, but it seems to be horrifyingly random
    > -- which may indicate hardware/power supply troubles.
    > Also /var/log/messages might be of some assistance,
    > though one might have already checked there (he mentions
    > not getting a log/crashreport).
    >
    > I'd do a memtest86 on that beastie, at least. I bought a
    > 2 GB RAM memory stick once -- and it turned out to be bad.
    > Admittedly, the symptoms were rather different.
    >
    > But never mind, Vista works just perfectly on that machine

    I don't see where this guy says that - though other Ubuntu victims have.

    > (whatever the hell it is!) so it must be a Linux problem,
    > right? :-P

    Yes. You're on top of things.

  14. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:08:37 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:18:13 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Just to note: cherry-picking problem reports and using them in the
    >>> way you do is best construed as lying, itself.

    > Where's the lie? Last I heard Ubuntu was a Linux distro, and those are
    > direct quotes from the victims of the slopware.
    >
    > Or is this one of those "Linux is just the kernel" retorts? 'Cause I NEVER
    > see you saying that when Spamowitz or anyone else says "Linux does this
    > well" or "Linux does that well" or "Linux is taking over in Kerala India"
    >

    >> And why is this different from what Schestowitz does 8 zillion times a
    >> month?

    > The difference is I don't tag a lie/fantasy title onto my posts. For
    > instance, today Spamowitz said
    >
    > * Microsoft is trying to "ruin the law"
    > * Windows delayed flights at all airports
    > etc

    That's what I meant.
    I was being sarcastic and inferring that Linonut doesn't seem to complain
    when Roy posts stuff like you mention above.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:08:37 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >> Where's the lie? Last I heard Ubuntu was a Linux distro, and those
    >> are direct quotes from the victims of the slopware.
    >>
    >> Or is this one of those "Linux is just the kernel" retorts? 'Cause
    >> I NEVER see you saying that when Spamowitz or anyone else says
    >> "Linux does this well" or "Linux does that well" or "Linux is taking
    >> over in Kerala India"
    >>

    >>> And why is this different from what Schestowitz does 8 zillion
    >>> times a month?

    >> The difference is I don't tag a lie/fantasy title onto my posts. For
    >> instance, today Spamowitz said
    >>
    >> * Microsoft is trying to "ruin the law"
    >> * Windows delayed flights at all airports
    >> etc

    > That's what I meant.
    > I was being sarcastic and inferring that Linonut doesn't seem to
    > complain when Roy posts stuff like you mention above.

    No prob.

    Also, I've been meaning to recognize you lately for basically owning cola
    for the last few months. Spamowitz posts slightly more, but he's a one-way
    cut-paste derelict, while you submit a lot of good posts, and reply, and mix
    it up with some good "advocate" and crapware-bashing. And you rarely froth
    like I and others do.

    So, good job Moshe!

  16. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
    > IMAP, and ever since I changed my password yesterday it's been flaky,
    > though I think it's settled down somewhat. (With any luck.)
    >
    > The good news: I can push out my calendar and schedule meetings.
    > But really, it should be a more transparent process... :-)

    We have to use either Outlook itself or OWA.

    At least, using Evolution is easier than using the browser, and a lot
    more flexible.

    But it has issues, such as no way of marking unread messages than using
    a bold font, which is useless if you embolden your desktop font.

    And the user interface is as klunky as Outlook's.

    At least I can pipe fortunes to my emails, though.

    --
    A good USENET motto would be:
    a. "Together, a strong community."

  17. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Just to note: cherry-picking problem reports and using them in the
    >>> way you do is best construed as lying, itself.

    > Where's the lie? Last I heard Ubuntu was a Linux distro, and those are
    > direct quotes from the victims of the slopware.

    So post the real story.

    Quit trying to sugar-coat your dissimulation.

    --
    A lot of people I know believe in positive thinking, and so do I. I
    believe everything positively stinks.

  18. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    > I was being sarcastic and inferring that Linonut doesn't seem to complain
    > when Roy posts stuff like you mention above.

    I do, though I'm not rigorous about it.

    I'm not even rigorous about it with DFS and the other lying-ass trolls,
    and their behavior is far more egregious than Roy's.

    I've already explained my position on Roy. If you missed it, que sera
    sera.

    --
    "Help save the world!" -- Larry Wall in README

  19. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Also, I've been meaning to recognize you lately for basically owning cola
    > for the last few months. Spamowitz posts slightly more, but he's a one-way
    > cut-paste derelict, while you submit a lot of good posts, and reply, and mix
    > it up with some good "advocate" and crapware-bashing. And you rarely froth
    > like I and others do.
    >
    > So, good job Moshe!

    Speaking of people that DFS claims "own" COLA (What a laugh! As if
    anyone owns this pack of reprobates!), where's Erik Funkenbusch been
    lately?

    --
    Connection reset by some moron with a backhoe

  20. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:56:00 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Where's the lie? Last I heard Ubuntu was a Linux distro, and those
    >>> are direct quotes from the victims of the slopware.
    >>>
    >>> Or is this one of those "Linux is just the kernel" retorts? 'Cause
    >>> I NEVER see you saying that when Spamowitz or anyone else says
    >>> "Linux does this well" or "Linux does that well" or "Linux is taking
    >>> over in Kerala India"

    >>> The difference is I don't tag a lie/fantasy title onto my posts. For
    >>> instance, today Spamowitz said
    >>>
    >>> * Microsoft is trying to "ruin the law"
    >>> * Windows delayed flights at all airports
    >>> etc

    >> That's what I meant.
    >> I was being sarcastic and inferring that Linonut doesn't seem to
    >> complain when Roy posts stuff like you mention above.

    > No prob.
    >
    > Also, I've been meaning to recognize you lately for basically owning cola
    > for the last few months. Spamowitz posts slightly more, but he's a one-way
    > cut-paste derelict, while you submit a lot of good posts, and reply, and mix
    > it up with some good "advocate" and crapware-bashing. And you rarely froth
    > like I and others do.
    >
    > So, good job Moshe!

    Thanks!

    I've been involved in a huge archiving program involving hundreds of
    recordings from yesteryear so I have had a lot of down time while listening
    to the source material.

    It's winding down now and my next project involves a decent amount of
    location work so I won't be able to post as much.

    Spamowitz posts TONS more in terms of LINES than I do which proves beyond a
    doubt it is carefully scripted because I see how long my 5-10 line posts
    take.

    He is a fake, a fraud and a phony and that will come out all in good time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/