Linux: freezes when email is downloaded - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: freezes when email is downloaded - Linux ; Linonut wrote: > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo: > >> Linonut wrote: >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo: >>> >>>> You can replace SQL Server with Oracle or DB2, but there is no >>>> realistic replacement ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 73 of 73

  1. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Nah, you're just full of crap.
    >>>
    >>> No news there.

    >> You're ignorant, too. All you Linux morons who think OO has a
    >> chance in hell of replacing MS Office are ignorant.

    > All you Windows morons have to postulate the all-or-nothing
    > replacement of Microsoft Office.

    It's not all or nothing. It's anything above the smallest nominal amounts.
    Overwhelmingly, it's only broke people and nonprofits and smaller govt
    organizations that use OpenOffice or desktop Linux.

    > We don't care about that. As long as enough people are using OO to
    > keep it a growing concern, that's all that matters. We want a choice.

    ....As you develop Windows code all day and night and help maintain their
    dominance. Anything for the right amount of cash, huh Linocrite? That's
    Spamowitz's credo as well. And Rex's. And 7's. et al

    > We don't want to have to use Microsoft products just to edit their
    > ****ing formats.

    So create your own formats and get large numbers of people to adopt them.
    Oh, that's a big problem, as the world won't accept them, even when the
    products to edit them are free. In 20 years of IT work, cola is the only
    place I've ever heard anyone complain about MS/vendor "lockin".

    >> It doesn't have the features, the interoperability, the
    >> documentation, the programmability, the speed, etc.

    > Bull****. It may lack in some areas, but it is pretty competitive,
    > even if you don't like to admit it.

    It's OK for being free, but no sophisticated organization will give it a 2nd
    glance.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari..._office_suites
    >
    > Hmmm, supports more operating systems, more document formats, more
    > lenient licensing terms, source code, and nearly as many features.

    Just not the operating systems or doc formats anyone cares about. The
    licensing is a non-started, as MS Office is fair to low priced and you can
    use Home/Student editions on 4 computers. Nobody cares about the source
    code, of course; having source available hasn't helped OO improve
    appreciably in the last 4 years I've been aware of it - it still falls far
    short of MS Office 95 from 13 years ago.

    > Sounds like a winner to me.

    That's 'cause your bozo ears are clogged up with the sound of shrieking cola
    idiots.

    >> Want proof of your ignorance? Find me a single medium to large
    >> company that has standardized on OpenOffice. We'll be waiting.

    > More goal-post shifting from a Microsoft troll. Who'd a thunk it?

    More silly denials. Only open source nuts think crapola like OpenOffice and
    Dia and Gambas and KDevelop are good Windows replacements. 99% of the world
    thinks you're full of ****, and broadcasts their beliefs by paying for
    commercial code, and flat-out refusing to use open source in lieu of it.

  2. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On 2008-09-01, DFS wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> You can replace SQL Server with Oracle or DB2, but there is no
    >>> realistic replacement for Access or Excel or Outlook. You're simply
    >>> ignorant if you think otherwise.

    >> Nah, you're just full of crap.
    >>
    >> No news there.

    > You're ignorant, too. All you Linux morons who think OO has a chance in
    > hell of replacing MS Office are ignorant. It doesn't have the features, the

    ....and what features would those be exactly?

    > interoperability, the documentation, the programmability, the speed, etc.

    "interoperability" eh? That's just a codeword for consumer lockin.

    "speed" is highly disputable.

    > Want proof of your ignorance? Find me a single medium to large company that
    > has standardized on OpenOffice. We'll be waiting.

    That's post factum argumentation based on "marketshare". The only
    thing that can definitively prove on it's own is that OO doesn't
    have sufficient reputation when it comes to the "compatability"
    part of your vague rant.

    You've yet to identify a single real characteristic of msoffice
    that makes it superior to ANY other office suite (not just OO).

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of mysql's |||
    popularity as does an attempt to do some simple date / | \

  3. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 19:08:55 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-09-01, DFS wrote:
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Nah, you're just full of crap.
    >>>
    >>> No news there.

    >> You're ignorant, too. All you Linux morons who think OO has a chance in
    >> hell of replacing MS Office are ignorant. It doesn't have the features,
    >> the

    > ...and what features would those be exactly?
    >
    >> interoperability, the documentation, the programmability, the speed,
    >> etc.

    > "interoperability" eh? That's just a codeword for consumer lockin.
    >
    > "speed" is highly disputable.
    >

    >> Want proof of your ignorance? Find me a single medium to large company
    >> that has standardized on OpenOffice. We'll be waiting.

    Err....the Israeli government do? Seems DooFu$ is following the M$ Party
    line:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11...ice_defection/

    > That's post factum argumentation based on "marketshare". The only thing
    > that can definitively prove on it's own is that OO doesn't have sufficient
    > reputation when it comes to the "compatability" part of your vague rant.
    >
    > You've yet to identify a single real characteristic of msoffice that makes
    > it superior to ANY other office suite (not just OO).

    I use OO all the time, no problems. :-)

    --
    ɐ ɯoɹɟ ʇuǝs sɐʍ ǝƃɐssǝɯ sıɥʇ
    pǝǝʇuɐɹɐnƃ sı ɥɔıɥʍ ɹǝʇndɯoɔ

  4. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > It's not all or nothing. It's anything above the smallest nominal amounts.
    > Overwhelmingly, it's only broke people and nonprofits and smaller govt
    > organizations that use OpenOffice or desktop Linux.

    More lies from DFS, the man who claims he never lies!

    http://www.aaxnet.com/design/linux2.html

    And that doesn't even mention IBM or HP, or Munich.

    And OpenOffice?

    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/...rg_Deployments

    >> We don't care about that. As long as enough people are using OO to
    >> keep it a growing concern, that's all that matters. We want a choice.

    > ...As you develop Windows code all day and night and help maintain their
    > dominance. Anything for the right amount of cash, huh Linocrite? That's
    > Spamowitz's credo as well. And Rex's. And 7's. et al

    Our company does what the customer asks, dip****. And that included
    an embedded Linux system.

    >> We don't want to have to use Microsoft products just to edit their
    >> ****ing formats.

    > So create your own formats and get large numbers of people to adopt them.
    > Oh, that's a big problem, as the world won't accept them, even when the
    > products to edit them are free. In 20 years of IT work, cola is the only
    > place I've ever heard anyone complain about MS/vendor "lockin".

    Bull****. In the government IT rags, for example, discussion of vendor
    lock-in are common.

    >> Bull****. It may lack in some areas, but it is pretty competitive,
    >> even if you don't like to admit it.

    > It's OK for being free, but no sophisticated organization will give it a 2nd
    > glance.

    For any organization already locked into MS Office automation, you are
    probably correct.

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari..._office_suites
    >>
    >> Hmmm, supports more operating systems, more document formats, more
    >> lenient licensing terms, source code, and nearly as many features.

    > Just not the operating systems or doc formats anyone cares about.

    Huh? OpenOffice does a very good job with /Microsoft/ formats, as well
    as many others.

    Bull****.

    >> Sounds like a winner to me.

    > That's 'cause your bozo ears are clogged up with the sound of shrieking cola
    > idiots.

    The only shrieker here is yourself. Sometimes 7.

    > More silly denials. Only open source nuts think crapola like OpenOffice and
    > Dia and Gambas and KDevelop are good Windows replacements. 99% of the world
    > thinks you're full of ****, and broadcasts their beliefs by paying for
    > commercial code, and flat-out refusing to use open source in lieu of it.

    It's all in the marketing, actually.

    99%? You pulled that bull**** from your nether orifice.

    --
    I never said all Democrats were saloonkeepers; what I said was all
    saloonkeepers were Democrats.

  5. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 19:08:55 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-09-01, DFS wrote:
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Nah, you're just full of crap.
    >>>
    >>> No news there.

    >> You're ignorant, too. All you Linux morons who think OO has a chance in
    >> hell of replacing MS Office are ignorant. It doesn't have the features,
    >> the

    > ...and what features would those be exactly?
    >
    >> interoperability, the documentation, the programmability, the speed,
    >> etc.

    > "interoperability" eh? That's just a codeword for consumer lockin.
    >
    > "speed" is highly disputable.
    >

    >> Want proof of your ignorance? Find me a single medium to large company
    >> that has standardized on OpenOffice. We'll be waiting.

    Err....the Israeli government do? Seems DooFu$ is following the M$ Party
    line:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11...ice_defection/

    > That's post factum argumentation based on "marketshare". The only thing
    > that can definitively prove on it's own is that OO doesn't have sufficient
    > reputation when it comes to the "compatability" part of your vague rant.
    >
    > You've yet to identify a single real characteristic of msoffice that makes
    > it superior to ANY other office suite (not just OO).

    I use OO all the time, no problems. :-)

    --
    ? ?o?? ?u?s s?? ???ss?? si??
    p???u???n? si ??i?? ???nd?o?

  6. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Geoff M. Fitton wrote:

    > Err....the Israeli government do? Seems DooFu$ is following the M$
    > Party line:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11...ice_defection/

    The Israeli government would do if they had switched to OpenOffice, but as
    usual when an "advocate*" speaks a lie spews forth:

    "The Israeli Ministry of Commerce - essentially the treasury - has suspended
    all contracts with Microsoft. First out of the door is the Israeli
    employment agency,
    which will replace 550 out of 700 users with OpenOffice. The contract
    represents a hardware win for IBM. Some 150 staff will stay on Microsoft
    Office."

    > I use OO all the time, no problems. :-)

    All hail Sample Of One!

  7. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    "DFS" writes:

    > Geoff M. Fitton wrote:
    >
    >> Err....the Israeli government do? Seems DooFu$ is following the M$
    >> Party line:
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11...ice_defection/

    > The Israeli government would do if they had switched to OpenOffice, but as
    > usual when an "advocate*" speaks a lie spews forth:
    >
    > "The Israeli Ministry of Commerce - essentially the treasury - has suspended
    > all contracts with Microsoft. First out of the door is the Israeli
    > employment agency,
    > which will replace 550 out of 700 users with OpenOffice. The contract
    > represents a hardware win for IBM. Some 150 staff will stay on Microsoft
    > Office."
    >

    >> I use OO all the time, no problems. :-)

    > All hail Sample Of One!

    And Willy probably only uses it to print his killfiles.

  8. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 10:42:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> Geoff M. Fitton wrote:
    >>
    >>> Err....the Israeli government do? Seems DooFu$ is following the M$
    >>> Party line:
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11...ice_defection/

    >> The Israeli government would do if they had switched to OpenOffice, but as
    >> usual when an "advocate*" speaks a lie spews forth:
    >>
    >> "The Israeli Ministry of Commerce - essentially the treasury - has suspended
    >> all contracts with Microsoft. First out of the door is the Israeli
    >> employment agency,
    >> which will replace 550 out of 700 users with OpenOffice. The contract
    >> represents a hardware win for IBM. Some 150 staff will stay on Microsoft
    >> Office."
    >>

    >>> I use OO all the time, no problems. :-)

    >> All hail Sample Of One!
    >>

    > And Willy probably only uses it to print his killfiles.

    He must kill a lot of trees doing that!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-09-01, DFS wrote:
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Nah, you're just full of crap.
    >>>
    >>> No news there.

    >> You're ignorant, too. All you Linux morons who think OO has a
    >> chance in hell of replacing MS Office are ignorant. It doesn't have
    >> the features, the

    > ...and what features would those be exactly?
    >
    >> interoperability, the documentation, the programmability, the speed,
    >> etc.

    > "interoperability" eh? That's just a codeword for consumer lockin.

    No, it's a description for the extremely powerul MS Office automation
    capabilities that aren't present in OO crapware, such as the ability for me
    to write code in MS Access that opens an Excel sheet, reads data and creates
    Outlook appointments.

    > "speed" is highly disputable.

    But numbers aren't.

    >> Want proof of your ignorance? Find me a single medium to large
    >> company that has standardized on OpenOffice. We'll be waiting.

    > That's post factum argumentation based on "marketshare". The only
    > thing that can definitively prove on it's own is that OO doesn't
    > have sufficient reputation when it comes to the "compatability"
    > part of your vague rant.
    >
    > You've yet to identify a single real characteristic of msoffice
    > that makes it superior to ANY other office suite (not just OO).

    Documentation, interoperability, programmability, features, speed,
    capacities, 3rd-party add-ins, etc.

  10. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On 2008-09-06, DFS wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> You're ignorant, too. All you Linux morons who think OO has a
    >>> chance in hell of replacing MS Office are ignorant. It doesn't have
    >>> the features, the

    >> ...and what features would those be exactly?
    >>
    >>> interoperability, the documentation, the programmability, the speed,
    >>> etc.

    >> "interoperability" eh? That's just a codeword for consumer lockin.

    > No, it's a description for the extremely powerul MS Office automation
    > capabilities that aren't present in OO crapware, such as the ability for me
    > to write code in MS Access that opens an Excel sheet, reads data and creates
    > Outlook appointments.

    You mean that you think it's a big deal to "read a file", "interpret
    a file" and then send out SOAP or SMTP calls? Although it's odd that you
    think that it's the place of the database to manipulate data that doesn't
    even reside within it.

    >> "speed" is highly disputable.

    > But numbers aren't.
    >

    >>> Want proof of your ignorance? Find me a single medium to large
    >>> company that has standardized on OpenOffice. We'll be waiting.

    >> That's post factum argumentation based on "marketshare". The only
    >> thing that can definitively prove on it's own is that OO doesn't
    >> have sufficient reputation when it comes to the "compatability"
    >> part of your vague rant.
    >>
    >> You've yet to identify a single real characteristic of msoffice
    >> that makes it superior to ANY other office suite (not just OO).

    > Documentation, interoperability, programmability, features, speed,
    > capacities, 3rd-party add-ins, etc.

    You need to come up with a better example. Try something that
    can't be done with what comes built into any copy of Unix 20 years
    older than the first version of OO.

    --

    Unfortunately, the universe will not conform itself to
    your fantasies. You have to manage based on what really happens |||

  11. Re: Vista ME: freezes when email is downloaded

    Why anyone still uses Vista ME is beyond me.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  12. Re: Vista ME: freezes when email is downloaded

    On 2008-09-08, RonB wrote:
    > Why anyone still uses Vista ME is beyond me.

    Well I use it because:

    1) I have to test my software on it
    2) Because I like it.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  13. Re: Vista ME: freezes when email is downloaded

    Tom Shelton wrote:

    > On 2008-09-08, RonB wrote:
    >> Why anyone still uses Vista ME is beyond me.
    >>

    > Well I use it because:
    >
    > 1) I have to test my software on it
    > 2) Because I like it.

    Sound like good reasons. Believe it or not, I have nothing against folks who
    use Windows because they like to -- I just get tired of the anti-Linux FUD
    and the WinTroll's posts. I don't consider most Windows users "WinTrolls."