Linux: freezes when email is downloaded - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: freezes when email is downloaded - Linux ; DFS wrote: Windows freezes by itself for no apparent reason to no apparent schedule with no apparent explanation to the user of wtf it is doing. So what?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73

  1. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    DFS wrote:

    Windows freezes by itself for no apparent reason to no apparent schedule
    with no apparent explanation to the user of wtf it is doing. So what?

  2. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:33:45 -0400
    :
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
    >> IMAP, and ever since I changed my password yesterday it's been flaky,
    >> though I think it's settled down somewhat. (With any luck.)
    >>
    >> The good news: I can push out my calendar and schedule meetings.
    >> But really, it should be a more transparent process... :-)

    > We have to use either Outlook itself or OWA.
    >
    > At least, using Evolution is easier than using the browser, and a lot
    > more flexible.
    >
    > But it has issues, such as no way of marking unread messages than using
    > a bold font, which is useless if you embolden your desktop font.
    >
    > And the user interface is as klunky as Outlook's.
    >
    > At least I can pipe fortunes to my emails, though.

    Hmmm...I'll admit to some curiosity as to how to program
    that. At least in Linux it's theoretically possible,
    and Gentoo even makes it easy using ebuild to set up the
    source code for poking around.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;

  3. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >

    > Windows freezes by itself for no apparent reason to no apparent
    > schedule with no apparent explanation to the user of wtf it is doing.
    > So what?

    So why do you insist on using only Windows your whole life, and to earn a
    living?

  4. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    DFS wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>

    >> Windows freezes by itself for no apparent reason to no apparent
    >> schedule with no apparent explanation to the user of wtf it is doing.
    >> So what?

    > So why do you insist on using only Windows your whole life, and to earn a
    > living?

    Prove that I use windows my whole life.

  5. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >>> DFS wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Windows freezes by itself for no apparent reason to no apparent
    >>> schedule with no apparent explanation to the user of wtf it is
    >>> doing. So what?

    >> So why do you insist on using only Windows your whole life, and to
    >> earn a living?

    > Prove that I use windows my whole life.

    What operating system have you used your whole life?

  6. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    DFS wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> So why do you insist on using only Windows your whole life, and to
    >>> earn a living?

    >> Prove that I use windows my whole life.

    > What operating system have you used your whole life?

    None. OSes come and go so far during my life, and I'm not at the end of
    it yet. So your statement was in fact, bollocks, as per usual.

  7. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    >>> Prove that I use windows my whole life.

    >> What operating system have you used your whole life?

    > None. OSes come and go so far during my life, and I'm not at the end of
    > it yet. So your statement was in fact, bollocks, as per usual.

    Yup. When I started with computers, something like PCs did not even exist.
    My first OSses I had to deal with where GCOS, CP5, CP6, MULTICS and Unix.
    Then came the different OS of the home-computers, later MS-DOS, much later
    windows, OS/2 and linux

    Talking about a "operating system have you used your whole life" is only for
    the (recent) school dropouts like DumbFull**** or that "Bee" idiot, who
    have not yet reached their 18th birthday and shamelessly lie about
    their "experience"

    People who really have worked for 30 years in the industry (as I have) have
    used several OS
    --
    Linux is for people who want to know why it works.
    Mac is for people who don't want to know why it works.

  8. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:05:24 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> So why do you insist on using only Windows your whole life, and to
    >>> earn a living?

    >> Prove that I use windows my whole life.

    > What operating system have you used your whole life?

    Hahahha!

    The old Rope-A-Dope in action.....

    I can't wait to see him squirm out of this one.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    >>> Prove that I use windows my whole life.

    >> What operating system have you used your whole life?

    > None. OSes come and go so far during my life, and I'm not at the end
    > of it yet. So your statement was in fact, bollocks, as per usual.

    Like I said, you've used Windows (99.9% of the time) your whole life. Why
    try and weasel from the truth like an idiot?

  10. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    DFS wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> What operating system have you used your whole life?

    >> None. OSes come and go so far during my life, and I'm not at the end
    >> of it yet. So your statement was in fact, bollocks, as per usual.

    > Like I said, you've used Windows (99.9% of the time) your whole life. Why
    > try and weasel from the truth like an idiot?

    WTF are you blathering about now man? I have not used windows 99.9% of
    the time of any portion of my life. You see, I have a life.

  11. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:47:45 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Unlike your corporate masters, use of OSS or linux does not commit you
    > or the next ten generations of your family to servitude. You can do
    > whatever you like with or without it. Its called freedom dummy.

    It's only freedom as you call it if your time is free.
    Mine is not.
    Most people don't have the time to waste on Linux which is one reason why
    it's desktop market share is dismal even after 15 years of being free.

    You sound very bitter BTW Dick...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:45:45 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    >>> None. OSes come and go so far during my life, and I'm not at the end
    >>> of it yet. So your statement was in fact, bollocks, as per usual.

    >> Like I said, you've used Windows (99.9% of the time) your whole life. Why
    >> try and weasel from the truth like an idiot?

    > WTF are you blathering about now man? I have not used windows 99.9% of
    > the time of any portion of my life. You see, I have a life.

    Nice sidestep....
    Now address the point...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:47:45 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >> Unlike your corporate masters, use of OSS or linux does not commit you
    >> or the next ten generations of your family to servitude. You can do
    >> whatever you like with or without it. Its called freedom dummy.

    > It's only freedom as you call it if your time is free.
    > Mine is not.
    > Most people don't have the time to waste on Linux which is one reason why
    > it's desktop market share is dismal even after 15 years of being free.

    Its called freedom because thats what it is: freedom to choose. Use or
    don't use, regardless of anything else you may choose to use as well.

    And the reason for its market share is not what you state. Its a
    combination of business practice by M$ leading to lack of profile in the
    casual user community.

  14. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:45:45 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Like I said, you've used Windows (99.9% of the time) your whole life. Why
    >>> try and weasel from the truth like an idiot?

    >> WTF are you blathering about now man? I have not used windows 99.9% of
    >> the time of any portion of my life. You see, I have a life.

    > Nice sidestep....
    > Now address the point...

    I would if there were one to address. I have not use windows 99.9% of
    the time of any portion of my life. Sorry if that upsets you but thats life.

  15. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:00:04 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:47:45 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unlike your corporate masters, use of OSS or linux does not commit you
    >>> or the next ten generations of your family to servitude. You can do
    >>> whatever you like with or without it. Its called freedom dummy.

    >> It's only freedom as you call it if your time is free.
    >> Mine is not.
    >> Most people don't have the time to waste on Linux which is one reason why
    >> it's desktop market share is dismal even after 15 years of being free.

    > Its called freedom because thats what it is: freedom to choose. Use or
    > don't use, regardless of anything else you may choose to use as well.

    15 years and still about 1 percent....
    Doesn't look like too many people give a hoot about Linux.
    Wonder why....

    > And the reason for its market share is not what you state. Its a
    > combination of business practice by M$ leading to lack of profile in the
    > casual user community.

    Yawwnnnn..

    No,. it's because Linux doesn't offer the user anything but headaches....
    Many have tried it.
    Most have dumped it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:00:04 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> It's only freedom as you call it if your time is free.
    >>> Mine is not.
    >>> Most people don't have the time to waste on Linux which is one reason why
    >>> it's desktop market share is dismal even after 15 years of being free.

    >> Its called freedom because thats what it is: freedom to choose. Use or
    >> don't use, regardless of anything else you may choose to use as well.

    > 15 years and still about 1 percent....
    > Doesn't look like too many people give a hoot about Linux.
    > Wonder why....
    >
    >> And the reason for its market share is not what you state. Its a
    >> combination of business practice by M$ leading to lack of profile in the
    >> casual user community.

    > Yawwnnnn..
    >
    > No,. it's because Linux doesn't offer the user anything but headaches....
    > Many have tried it.
    > Most have dumped it.

    Most users dont know about it. Most user also dont know their billyboxes
    are full of spyware and the like. Funny old world aint it.

  17. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:17:21 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Its called freedom because thats what it is: freedom to choose. Use or
    >>> don't use, regardless of anything else you may choose to use as well.

    >> 15 years and still about 1 percent....
    >> Doesn't look like too many people give a hoot about Linux.
    >> Wonder why....
    >>
    >>> And the reason for its market share is not what you state. Its a
    >>> combination of business practice by M$ leading to lack of profile in the
    >>> casual user community.

    >> Yawwnnnn..
    >>
    >> No,. it's because Linux doesn't offer the user anything but headaches....
    >> Many have tried it.
    >> Most have dumped it.

    > Most users dont know about it. Most user also dont know their billyboxes
    > are full of spyware and the like. Funny old world aint it.

    It's only funny when you can look at the Linux loons wasting their time
    with a dead OS.
    Hysterical in fact.

    LinuxWorld, a trade show that had everything going for it except people.

    Now that was funny.

    Linux based phones that can't reliably make phone calls, OpenMoko...

    Linux based iPod devices that nobody buys...

    It's hysterical I tell ya...

    Take a piece of advice from an old professional: When you can't give
    something away, you need to examine why.
    The last thing you want to do is create 1000 more copies, more or less, ot
    the thing you can't seem to give away...

    It must really hurt to know people in China buy Linux loaded laptops and
    install pirated Windows on them....

    Linux?

    It's free...that's about it...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > It's only funny when you can look at the Linux loons wasting their time
    > with a dead OS.
    > Hysterical in fact.

    Who are you to tell someone how to spend their time? If someone wants to
    spend their free time developing for linux that's their choice; not yours.

    And linux is not a dead os. Every day it gets slightly better and more
    capable. Its not going anywhere soon, there are too many people "wasting
    their time".

  19. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    "Phil Da Lick!" stated in post
    nqadncLd0skZJyrVnZ2dnUVZ8sjinZ2d@posted.plusnet on 8/29/08 2:00 AM:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:47:45 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unlike your corporate masters, use of OSS or linux does not commit you
    >>> or the next ten generations of your family to servitude. You can do
    >>> whatever you like with or without it. Its called freedom dummy.

    >> It's only freedom as you call it if your time is free.
    >> Mine is not.
    >> Most people don't have the time to waste on Linux which is one reason why
    >> it's desktop market share is dismal even after 15 years of being free.

    > Its called freedom because thats what it is: freedom to choose. Use or
    > don't use, regardless of anything else you may choose to use as well.

    Well, same goes for any OS or program...

    > And the reason for its market share is not what you state. Its a
    > combination of business practice by M$ leading to lack of profile in the
    > casual user community.

    What about intrinsic weaknesses of desktop Linux itself? I do not deny the
    external "forces", but recognize desktop Linux has some pretty big
    weaknesses to overcome.

    --
    I think we [the folks who make Linux desktops] don't yet deliver a good
    enough user experience.

  20. Re: Linux: freezes when email is downloaded

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:28:00 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> It's only funny when you can look at the Linux loons wasting their time
    >> with a dead OS.
    >> Hysterical in fact.

    > Who are you to tell someone how to spend their time? If someone wants to
    > spend their free time developing for linux that's their choice; not yours.

    I'm not telling people to do anything.
    Talk to Schestowitz's SPAm machine about that.

    > And linux is not a dead os. Every day it gets slightly better and more
    > capable. Its not going anywhere soon, there are too many people "wasting
    > their time".

    1 percent in 15 years?
    Linux is on life support if you ask me.