Windows Outstuffs Linux in Poll

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux users are accusing the Microsoft-affiliated news site of tampering with
| the results of an online poll. They believe that the numbers were altered to
| ensure that a Microsoft-made system was chosen as the winner.
|
| [...]
|
| Reichard also notes that at some point during the poll Linux "magically" lost
| votes. "At one point Linux had 37 percent of 37,000, which works out to just
| over 14,000 votes. But when the voting reached 205,000, the poll showed Linux
| had 6 percent, which is only about 12,000 votes."
`----

http://web.archive.org/web/200102042...,38845,00.html

..Net vote rigging illustrates importance of Web services

,----[ Quote ]
| By 21 December, more than two-thirds of the respondents (69.5 percent), said
| they planned to deliver some applications by Web services by the end of 2002,
| with a large majority of those (nearly half the total sample) planning to use
| Java. Only 21.5 percent said they planned to use Microsoft .Net -- less than
| the figure (23.5 percent) planning to use neither.
|
| But by the time the poll closed, on 5 January, the position had dramatically
| changed, with three quarters of voters claiming to be implementing .Net. This
| apparent sudden change of heart over the Christmas period appears to be the
| result of a concerted campaign within Microsoft.
|
| ZDNet UK logs reveal rather obvious vote rigging, and prove that it
| originated from within Microsoft:
|
| * A very high percentage of voters are from within the microsoft.com
| domain.
|
| * There is a very high incidence of people attempting to cast multiple
| votes, even though the poll script blocked out most attempts at multiple
| voting. The one that wins the prize made 228 attempts to vote. This
| person was from within the microsoft.com domain.
|
| * Several of the voters evidently followed a link contained in an email,
| the subject line of which ran: "PLEASE STOP AND VOTE FOR .NET!" We know
| this, because our logs include the Web address where visitors browsed
| from; when people click there from a Microsoft Exchange email message,
| Exchange helpfully gives us the subject line and username. The people who
| followed that link all had email addresses in the microsoft.com domain.
|
| * There is also clear evidence of automated voting, with scripts
| attempting to post multiple times.
`----

http://web.archive.org/web/200302070...102244,00.html

Notice that _THESE ARTICLES HAVE BEEN REMOVED_. Why? At whose request, if
anyone's?

Recent:

Puppet countries leaves P membership

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Puppet countries are leaving the P membership. Lebanon, Turkey,
| Cyprus, and Trinidad & Tobago have already dropped out. All those countries
| voted Yes without comments to OOXML.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-59702...s-p-membership

Related:

Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
|
| [...]
|
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107...by-corporation

Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...microsoft.html

Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

| In a memo sent following his last meeting as head of the working group on
| WG1, which is handling Microsoft’s application to make the Word format an ISO
| standard as ECMA 376, outgoing Governor Martin Bryan (above), an expert on
| SGML and XML, accused the company of stacking his group.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1777

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
| happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
| Quinn was by no means unique.
`----

Software wars

,----[ Quote ]