[News] FSF India Fights Attempts by Microsoft et al to Ruin the Law - Linux

  1. [News] FSF India Fights Attempts by Microsoft et al to Ruin the Law

    FSF India's response to the Draft Patents Manual

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Even if other countries made such provisions, India as the world's largest
    | democracy should not create an society where people at large are excluded
    | from participating in creative engagements. As a country with a large human
    | resource, we have a bigger challenge of harnessing more creativity among the
    | country, and that will happen by bringing each and every citizen under
    | creative participation and not by bringing each and every invention under
    | allowable patents category. India should lead the rest of the world by
    | clearly stating in the manual that computer programs are not patentable in
    | India by any other way and are per se protected only under copyright.
    `----

    http://www.gnu.org.in/fsf-indias-res...patents-manual

    I helped with a draft of this letter. :-)

    Recent:

    Let us say NO to software patents

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are indications that the government is again trying to bring software
    | patents, possibly covertly. The first indication of this has been in the
    | draft Manual of Patent Practice and Procedure published by the Patent Office,
    | India, in which they talk about "software per se" and software in association
    | with hardware. This was repeated in the meeting held in Mumbai which was a
    | consultation organised by the government with the public. Whether this move
    | has been engineered by the bureaucracy or by the government under pressure
    | from big corporates, this is not good for the software industry, especially
    | the small scale sector, in India.
    `----

    http://swatantryam.blogspot.com/2008...e-patents.html

    Candle light vigil against Software Patents

    http://www.gnu.org.in/candle-light-v...ftware-patents

    Say No to Software Patents - Candle light vigil in Bangalore

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Software patents are rejected by Indian Parliament in 2005 (Patent Amendment
    | bill 2005). But Indian Government is now trying to push it through back door
    | by bringing a Patent manual. Public consultations on this draft manual is
    | going on in various metros in India. Bangalore Consultation is scheduled for
    | the last week of August.
    |
    | The Candle light vigil to "Say No To Software Patents" is a occasion to raise
    | civil society voice against this back door trojan to Indian patent system.
    |
    | On 23rd August 2008 in front of Town Hall near Corporation Circle, Bangalore.
    | Publicity campaigns will be hosted in various places on 22nd.
    `----

    http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/1022228

    Say 'No' to software patents

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nothing could be further from the truth. As explained above, software patents
    | are bad for everyone other than large companies. Each software patent is a
    | potential mine in the path to progress for small software companies. Allowing
    | software patents in the country will be like strewing the path with mines.
    `----

    http://infochangeindia.org/200808137...e-patents.html

    “Say No To Software Patents” Campaign in Bangalore

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Free Software User’s Group, Bangalore is co-ordinating a campaign to “Say
    | No To Software Patents” in India.
    `----

    http://pramode.net/2008/08/14/say-no...-in-bangalore/

    Latha Jishnu: The mouse that bit Microsoft
    PATENTLY ABSURD

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here’s what Gates wrote in an office memorandum in 1991. “If people had
    | understood how patents would be granted when most of today’s ideas were
    | invented, and had taken out patents, the industry would be at a complete
    | standstill today. . . I feel certain that some large company will patent some
    | obvious thing related to interface, object orientation, algorithm,
    | application extension or other crucial technique.”
    |
    | This was the year after Microsoft launched Windows 3.0, the first of its new
    | operating systems that would become hugely popular across the world. Yet,
    | three years down the line, Microsoft had changed from a kitten that was
    | content with copyright protection to an aggressive patents tiger. In 1991,
    | Microsoft had filed fewer than 50 patent applications whereas last year it
    | was awarded 1,637 patents, almost a 12 per cent increase in the number of
    | patents it received in 2006. According to IFI Patent Intelligence, the rise
    | in Microsoft’s patents portfolio bucked the general trend in 2007 when the
    | number of patents issued by the US Patents and Trademark Office dipped by 10
    | per cent. Apparently several thousand of the company’s filings are still
    | pending.
    |
    | All this may prompt the reader to conclude that there is indeed a direct
    | correlation between IPR and growth — and wealth — as the company claims. Not
    | true, says Mark H Webbink, a US Supreme Court lawyer who is a recognised
    | voice on IT issues. Charting the company’s revenues, R&D spending and patent
    | filings from 1985 onwards, he shows that the spike in patent filings occurred
    | long after the Microsoft “had become well established and was being
    | investigated for its monopolistic practices”. Webbink contends that patents
    | did not spur the launch and rapid growth of the mass market software
    | industry. On the other hand, patents have become a threat to software
    | innovation, he warns.
    `----

    http://www.business-standard.com/ind...?autono=330566

    [ILUG-BOM] Software Patents in India

    ,----[ Quote ]

    http://210.210.88.164/patentgrantedS...=0743/DEL/2000

    http://210.210.88.164/patentgrantedS...2002/01056/DEL

    | And this one hashes of loaded modules in mem to check that there is no
    | trojan module. DRM? AV?

    http://210.210.88.164/patentgrantedS...2002/01297/DEL
    `----

    http://mm.ilug-bom.org.in/pipermail/...04/064347.html

    An Overview of Software Patenting

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to Richard Stallman, the co-developer of the GNU-Linux operating
    | system and proponent of Free Software says, “Software patents are patents
    | which cover software ideas, ideas which you would use in developing software.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Indian Position
    |
    | With respect to computer software, in Patents (Amendment) Act, 2002, the
    | scope of non-patentable subject matter in the Act was amended to include the
    | following: “a mathematical method or a business method or a computer
    | programme per se or algorithms”.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | India for its part seems to have adopted the more conservative approach of
    | the European patenting norms for software. But the Ordinance definitely has
    | its use and relevance in today’s India, particularly for our growing domestic
    | semi- conductor industry. This, along with judicial tempering might
    | definitely ensure a judicious use of patent protection while allowing the
    | industry to grow through innovations and inventions, thereby, mitigating the
    | risks of trivial patents chocking the life out of real innovations and
    | inventions. This is the reason a patent should always be treated as a “double
    | edged sword”, to be wielded with caution and sensitivity.
    |
    | Now whether, in reality this will be implemented on a rigid basis or will
    | become broad in scope through application (as in the U.S.), and, more
    | importantly, whether the Ordinance would, in fact, result in increased
    | innovation and inventions in the software industry, remains to be seen.
    `----

    http://kinghurst.net/an-overview-of-software-patenting/

    "Full text of Section 3(k) relating to software patents"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Infosys was there and pushing for software patents. They are totally against
    | the open source and free software.
    |
    | Symantec was there and also pushed for software patents.
    |
    | Microsoft was there.
    |
    | The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) was also pushing for software
    | patents.
    `----

    https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...03135646761098

    Briefing Note on the Impact of Software Patents on the Software Industry in
    India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In other industries, research continues up to a point where further research
    | costs too much to be feasible. At this stage, the industry's output
    | merelyconsists of replacing parts that have worn out.
    |
    | However, in the software sector, a computer program that is fully debugged
    | will perform its function forever without requiring maintenance or
    | modification. “What this means is that unlike socks that wear out, and
    | breakfast cereal that is eaten, a particular software product can be sold to
    | a particular customer at most once. If it is to be sold to that customer
    | again, it must be enhanced with new features and functionality.” This
    | inevitably means that even if the industry were to approach maturity, any
    | software company that does not produce new and innovative products will
    | simply run out of customers! Thus, the industry will remain innovative
    | whether or not software patents exist.
    `----

    http://www.sarai.net/research/knowle...areharmful.pdf

    Intellectual Property Regime Stifles Science and Innovation, Nobel Laureates
    Say

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Patent monopolies are believed to drive innovation but they actually impede
    | the pace of science and innovation, Stiglitz said. The current “patent
    | thicket,” in which anyone who writes a successful software programme is sued
    | for alleged patent infringement, highlights the current IP system’s failure
    | to encourage innovation, he said.
    |
    | Another problem is that the social returns from innovation do not accord with
    | the private returns associated with the patent system, Stiglitz said. The
    | marginal benefit from innovation is that an idea may become available sooner
    | than it might have. But the person who secures the patent on it wins a
    | long-term monopoly, creating a gap between private and social returns.
    `----

    http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1129

    Infy, TCS lock horns with Red Hat over IT patent

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | IT majors like Infosys Technologies Ltd and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
    | are opposing the open-source community’s demand that the government drop a
    | clause in the draft patent examination manual as it gives scope for software
    | patenting under the Indian Patent Act of 2003.
    |
    | The IT majors made their opposition clear at a meeting in Delhi, called by
    | the government’s department of industrial policy & promotion on Thursday. The
    | dispute has been sparked by the draft manual that will guide patent examiners
    | in their interpretation of the Indian Patent (Amendment) Act for software.
    | Section 3(K) of the Act clearly says: “A mathematical or business method or a
    | computer programme per se or algorithms are not patentable.”
    `----

    http://www.financialexpress.com/news...patent/340200/

    Stakeholders Meeting on the Draft Patent Manual

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yesterday, the Ministry of Commerce and Industry hosted a "Stakeholders
    | Meeting on the Draft Patent Manual." Around 70 people attended this meeting.
    | The audience was a mix of lawyers, industry associations like CII, FICCI etc,
    | civil society organizations and industry.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | At this point, the discussion became pretty heated and the chair of the
    | meeting decided to call for a separate meeting on software patents. I'll keep
    | you updated.
    `----

    http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/07/...ft-patent.html

    Microsoft India MD joins HP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a major setback to IT giant Microsoft, its India Managing Director(MD)
    | Neelam Dhawan has decided to call it quits and will join Hewlett-Packard
    | (HP).
    `----

    http://infotech.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3108755.cms

    What's up with Microsoft India?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The CVP, MD and all her direct reports made this company a miserable place to
    | work for! They created a feudal fiefdom for themselves.
    `----

    http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2008/05...oft-india.html

    Microsoft influencing partner NGOs to support OOXML in India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is encouraging its business partners to promote its Office Open XML
    | specification (OOXML) to the Indian Bureau of Standards (BIS) and Ministry of
    | IT. This move has incensed supporters of the rival OpenDocument Format (ODF)
    | who fear that the "soft" Indian state may not be able to stand up to
    | Microsoft pressure tactics.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/128528

  2. Re: [News] FSF India Fights Attempts by Microsoft et al to Ruin the Law

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > FSF India's response to the Draft Patents Manual
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Even if other countries made such provisions, India as the world's
    > | largest democracy should not create an society where people at large are
    > | excluded from participating in creative engagements. As a country with a
    > | large human resource, we have a bigger challenge of harnessing more
    > | creativity among the country, and that will happen by bringing each and
    > | every citizen under creative participation and not by bringing each and
    > | every invention under allowable patents category. India should lead the
    > | rest of the world by clearly stating in the manual that computer
    > | programs are not patentable in India by any other way and are per se
    > | protected only under copyright.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.gnu.org.in/fsf-indias-res...patents-manual

    Indian WINDUMMY software industry can be destroyed by Micoshaft by funding
    the software patent crapola.

    Hundreds of thousands of Linux engineers have just graduated in China to
    replace India's crapola WINDUMMY industry and Micoshaft.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

    Just may be Kerala is the only little corner that will offer
    some resistance, but as far I can see, India does not have
    enough Linux engineers to take the reigns and lead the software
    world any more. India is fscked and Micoshaft is what delivered it.

+ Reply to Thread