TouchKit: Open Source Multi-Touch

,----[ Quote ]
| TouchKit comprises both hardware and software components. On the software
| side, the API is implemented as an addon to OpenFrameworks. This gives it
| cross-platform compatibility with OS X, Windows, and Linux, though you're
| going to need to be comfortable hacking around in a pre-release C++ framework
| to make use of it. The software is licensed LGPLv3.
`----

http://ostatic.com/171721-blog/touch...ce-multi-touch

This idea was implement years ago by several independent groups using GNU/Linux
(see below). Microsoft played catch-up, as usual.

Recent:

Microsoft's Robbie Bach 'thought about killing' Surface

,----[ Quote ]
| "I didn't have a clear line of sight on what the business model was," Bach
| said. "I was always asking myself whether we could afford to keep it."
|
| Surface did have one important cheerleader: Bill Gates.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-99...=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft Rips off Researchers at Pompeu Fabra University of Barcelona

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently while on vacation I was flipping channels and came across a
| channel called “current TV”, what caught my eye was a *computer *booting
| to Kubuntu. This computer looked remarkably like Microsoft’s new
| Surface touch table. Funny thing is the reactable has been around
| over three years and research has been going on much longer than that.
`----

http://dthomasdigital.wordpress.com/...-of-barcelona/

Jeff Han's Research Ripped by Microsoft Surface?

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeff Han, consulting research scientist for NYU's Department of
| Computer Science, developed a multi-touch interactive graphical
| interface, which he presented at the TED conference over a year
| ago. His research turned into its own company, Perceptive Pixel.
|
| Now it seems Microsoft completely ripped the idea and created
| Microsoft Surface.
`----

http://www.jorispoort.com/2007/05/je...microsoft.html

Microsoft Surface idea not that new?

,----[ Quote ]
| An attached PC, running Linux and Reactrix software, calculates the
| location and movement of an object interrupting the beam and enables
| the system to allow a basic interaction with projected content.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32389/118/

Microsoft's Surface is evidence that Redmond is losing it

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.robneville.net/rants/micr...ng-it/2007/06/