5 Factors Making Ubuntu Server Business Ready

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, is getting serious about the server.
| The company is working hard to partner with 3rd party server application
| providers, and to develop the required core OS services for Ubuntu to make it
| a highly successful business server platform. There are many factors that
| make Ubuntu a strong server platform, but the top 5 are:
| 1. High Availability and Fault Tolerance Sys-Admins won’t sleep well at
| night without having deployed a reliable,well tested array of high
| availability and fault tolerance technologies and methodologies. Nightly
| and daily backups, OS Clustering, OS-level disk replication, data
| integrity solutions, RAID# solutions are vital for a server running
| critical business applications.
| 2. Central Administration Tools...

They use all the same components (even SELinux is available for Ubuntu), so...

Ubuntu Server receives positive reviews

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu isn’t just for desktops. Behind the scenes, corporate IT managers have
| put Ubuntu to work on servers. Don’t believe me? Well, I can name names. I
| can also tell you up front that Ubuntu Server gets high marks for its
| corporate support; easy backups, installs and upgrades; documentation, and
| more.
| So I set out to find some IT pros who could talk about Ubuntu Server, which
| wasn’t hard. I just asked, “Who’s using Ubuntu?” *in a
| SearchEnterpriseLinux.com newsletter. Here are some respondents’ views of
| Ubuntu Server, both positive and not-so-positive.

Review of Ubuntu 7.04 Server on Old Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 7.04 Server Edition provides a very easy way to get a LAMP server up
| and running quickly. The lack of SSH access as standard seemed strange for a
| distro focussed on ease of installation, but comes from the principle that
| the less daemons there are running, the less daemons there are to hack, which
| is understandable. Of course, it is then up to the user to configure Apache,
| MySQL and PHP, which can be quite time consuming. I think that Ubuntu Server
| is best viewed as a shortcut to a fully rigged server rather than an all in
| one solution.

Ubuntu Releases Alpha Version of Server 8.04

,----[ Quote ]
| The first alpha release from the growingly popular Ubuntu Linux is now
| available.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)