It Really is a jungle out there.... - Linux

This is a discussion on It Really is a jungle out there.... - Linux ; A friend of a friend was having some major problems with his laptop so I was volunteered to *fix* it.... I kid you not when I say this system took almost 4 minutes to boot Windows XP! It's a Thinkpad ...

  1. It Really is a jungle out there....

    A friend of a friend was having some major problems with his laptop so I
    was volunteered to *fix* it....
    I kid you not when I say this system took almost 4 minutes to boot Windows
    XP!
    It's a Thinkpad T42 which while not state of the art, is a decent machine.

    So I get my toolkit out and start working.

    First thing I notice is that this guy has every P2P, Bin downloading
    program known to the modern world.
    He has them all.
    Newsbin, Newsleecher,AltBinz etc.....

    Well that's clue number 1.

    Booting up my on demand scanner made the dammed thing light up like a
    Christmas tree.
    This guy had them all.
    Keyloogers, root kits, spyware, trojans and even a couple of very
    infectious virii (according to TrendMicro)...

    I gave up because there was no way that I could ensure the system was truly
    clean.
    I did a DOD wipe on the drive and used his kicker disks (after scanning
    them) to re-install...

    After it was done I went to make some cafe only to return to see this guy
    typing furiously on the system.

    He is upset because he says there are still trojans on the drive.
    Impossible I say...
    Well, I discover he had copied his pirate collection from a removable drive
    back to his C drive and it lit up the antivirus program....

    So, we wiped and installed again and I had a long conversation with him
    concerning the danger of playing around with this junk..

    The real kicker?

    He had an infected copy of Newsbin!!!!!
    I almost **** when I saw that!

    The program he was using to obtain all this junk was pirated as well and
    infected with a keylogger.

    Why are people so stupid?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: It Really is a jungle out there....

    > After it was done I went to make some cafe only to return to see this guy
    > typing furiously on the system.
    >
    > He is upset because he says there are still trojans on the drive.
    > Impossible I say...
    > Well, I discover he had copied his pirate collection from a removable drive
    > back to his C drive and it lit up the antivirus program....
    >
    > So, we wiped and installed again and I had a long conversation with him
    > concerning the danger of playing around with this junk..
    >
    > The real kicker?
    >
    > He had an infected copy of Newsbin!!!!!
    > I almost **** when I saw that!
    >
    > The program he was using to obtain all this junk was pirated as well and
    > infected with a keylogger.
    >
    > Why are people so stupid?

    I read that Sir Richard Francis Burton was always getting gonorrhea and
    syphilis.

    On a jungle trek he got such a high fever that it killed the syphilis!

    This guy needs a fever so high it kills his remaining brain cell(s).

    --
    "You've got to have a gimmick if your band sucks."
    -- Gary Giddens

  3. Re: It Really is a jungle out there....

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:15:58 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> After it was done I went to make some cafe only to return to see this guy
    >> typing furiously on the system.
    >>
    >> He is upset because he says there are still trojans on the drive.
    >> Impossible I say...
    >> Well, I discover he had copied his pirate collection from a removable drive
    >> back to his C drive and it lit up the antivirus program....
    >>
    >> So, we wiped and installed again and I had a long conversation with him
    >> concerning the danger of playing around with this junk..
    >>
    >> The real kicker?
    >>
    >> He had an infected copy of Newsbin!!!!!
    >> I almost **** when I saw that!
    >>
    >> The program he was using to obtain all this junk was pirated as well and
    >> infected with a keylogger.
    >>
    >> Why are people so stupid?

    > I read that Sir Richard Francis Burton was always getting gonorrhea and
    > syphilis.
    >
    > On a jungle trek he got such a high fever that it killed the syphilis!
    >
    > This guy needs a fever so high it kills his remaining brain cell(s).

    Yea...
    He is not the sharpest knife in the drawer that's for sure.
    He has one hell of a porn collection though, if you're into that sort of
    slime.
    It's probably more infected than a ghetto street walker though.....

    I probably shouldn't do this but I'll tell you that this guy has a PHD in
    Physics.
    He lost a teaching job because he couldn't handle the stress and now works
    in a 7-11....
    Talk about an underachiever!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: It Really is a jungle out there....

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:15:58 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    > I probably shouldn't do this but I'll tell you that this guy has a PHD in
    > Physics.
    > He lost a teaching job because he couldn't handle the stress and now works
    > in a 7-11....
    > Talk about an underachiever!!

    "Publish or Perish" is a hard life. I got out of it pretty early in the
    game. I was lucky. I had an out. That "out" was created in graduate
    school when I had to program a minicomputer to do experiments, and
    analyze data tapes on the university mainframe.

    Computers are much more tractable than peers!

    --
    Karmageddon:
    It's like, when everybody is sending off all these really bad

+ Reply to Thread