President of Microsoft visit Portugal

,----[ Quote ]
| The chairman and CEO of Microsoft Corporation, Steve Ballmer, vai visit
| Portugal on 3 October. O objectivo da visita é reconhecer o trabalho da
| filial portuguesa da empresa, considerada a melhor do mundo em 2008, e
| estabelecer contactos com empresários e governantes portugueses The purpose
| of the visit is to recognize the work of the Portuguese subsidiary of the
| company, considered the best in the world in 2008, and establish contacts
| with business leaders and Portuguese
`----

http://translate.google.pt/translate...pt-PT&ie=UTF-8

Recent:

Steve Ballmer Gets the Egg-Treatment in Budapest

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mtBQ4UCXQeo

Pity the Poor Classmate PC'd Children of Portugal

,----[ Quote ]
| Combine that complete outsourcing of computer systems evaluation with silence
| on the financial terms of the deal and I'm thinking there is a deal in the
| works - cheap Classmates now for lucrative future government orders.
|
| Shady deals being a hallmark of Classmate sales to date.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/i..._portugal.html

Open source tour of Europe: Portugal

,----[ Quote ]
| Many of the country’s open source projects to date are in the education
| sector, triggered by the government’s five-year agreement with Sun, signed in
| 2004, to provide open source technologies – including Linux and
| OpenOffice.org/StarOffice – to Portuguese secondary schools.
|
| More recently the Associação Ensino Livre (Association for Free Education)
| was founded to increase the use of open source software in education, while
| the Education Ministry launched a new website designed to promote open source
| usage.
|
| Outside the education sector, the Institute of Technology is migrating to
| OpenOffice, the Ministry of Justice has used an open source system based on
| JBoss, PostgreSQL and Linux for the dissemination of information on
| referendum results and the Ministry of Internal Affairs used JBoss to create
| a new traffic fines management system.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...rope-portugal/

OpenOffice.org being distributed to Portuguese schools

,----[ Quote ]
| I was just made aware of this Portuguese blog entry. CDs including
| OpenOffice.org will be distributed to Portuguese schools again. Great news!
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/op...distributed_to

Portuguese Schools Learn About Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...bout-open.html

,----[ Quote ]
| In my country (Portugal) we have a very similar deal, available to all
| students and teachers in high school, which is subsidized by the
| cellphone/mobile ISP companies, the government and probably Microsoft, where
| you can get a laptop for 150 euros with a contract for 2 years for the mobile
| internet access with a nice discount from the usual monthly fees, from
| several well known laptop manufacturers (HP, Toshiba), and pretty decent
| machines also (Core Duo, 1 Gb RAM, the only downside is they all have
| integrated graphics cards), of course they all come with Windows Vista Home
| Premium as well. * * * * *
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/2/16/36312

IBM is still locked out of the Portuguese OOXML meeting

,----[ Quote ]
| In spite of various communications, we [IBM] are still locked out and will
| not be allowed to participate. Microsoft will be there, as well as a special
| Microsoft guest, as will various Microsoft business partners, and others. *
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1755

Portugal: Votes Yes with Comments on OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Commitee presided over by Microsoft decides in it's favor 13-7:
|
| It's with much disgust that I see that after an initial membership controlled
| by Microsoft of 7 to 1, it was only possible to add the participation of 12
| more entities, 6 in favor of open standards, and 6 in favor of Microsoft. *
|
| If from the the first meeting it was clear that there was a favorable support
| for Microsoft of 7 to 1, the voting just an hour ago of YES WITH COMMENTS is
| sadly revealing. *
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

Portugal's ISO says no room for IBM & Sun in the room ! ?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://mv.asterisco.pt/2007/Jun/cat.cgi?MS%20OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
> [...]
| * * * Portugal) *
|
| * * * A Technical Commission (CT) did not exist when ISO 26300 (Open
| * * * Document) was submitted neither when there was a submission of OOXML
| * * * (ECMA 376, potential ISO 29500) for the the fast track, and that was
| * * * the reason why Portugal did not submit any opinion nor had any right to
| * * * vote. We expect that now, with the pressure made and the CT created
| * * * there would be right to vote. * *
|
| * * * The CT was created by the Computing Institute, in which is delegated
| * * * the responsability for the norms of the IT sector; a delegation granted
| * * * by the Portuguese Institute of Quality (IPQ), the point of contact of
| * * * ISO in Portugal. Its creation is motivated mainly by the pressures and
| * * * availability of some people when the proposal for fast tracking of
| * * * OOXML and a neccessity to avail now the OOXML as standard ISO and as a
| * * * Portuguese National Standard * * *
|
| * * * In the meeting they were present:
|
| * * * 2 persons from II (Instituto de Informatica [Computing Institute])
| * * * 1 person from the local government (Alentejo region)
| * * * 1 person from Jurinfor [Jurinfor is a Microsoft partner]
| * * * 2 persons from Microsoft
| * * * 1 person from Primavera [Primavera is a Microsoft partner]
| * * * 1 person from ISCTE
| * * * 2 persons from Assoft [reportedly, most members of ASSOFT are Microsoft
| * * partners]
| * * * 1 person from the Inst. Informatica da Seg Social [Computing Institute
| * * of the Social Welfare Department]
| * * * 1 person from the Inst. Tecn. Informacao da Justiça (eu) [Technical
| * * Institute Information of Justice (eu)]
|
| The meeting dealt basically with the bureaucracy details of the creation of
| the CT. It didn't go into details of OOXML; that discussion will be held in
| the next meeting, on July 16th about 14:30 in the II [Instituto de
| Informatica, I assume] *
|
| The CT, thus, was composed of 8 vocal elements, one representative for each
| of the organizations present. The II [Instituto de Informatica] is arranging
| and hosting the initiative and is a not-named representative. *
|
| The 8 vocals will readily follow to the election of the president of the CT.
| There was 1 candidate in the place (Miguel Sales Dias, from Microsoft). I did
| not present my candidature but made myself available in case the rest of
| representatives deemed it neccesary -- informed not adequate since to begin
| with, as a member of the OpenDocument Alliance, I had a conflict of interest. * *
|
| The vote results were 7 votes in favor of Miguel Sales Dias, of Microsoft,
| who was designated to preside over the CT, and a (1) blank vote.
|
| It was decided to adopt consensus as the form of adoption of any proposed
| norm, following to majority vote in case there is no consensus in the CT and
| if there is a strong opposition to submit any norm. *
`---