Attack of the GNU/Linux Ultraportables, Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| But just as important will be the effect on the relative attractiveness of
| the GNU/Linux and Windows XP models that are currently on offer.
|
| To see why, consider the figures quoted above. Until today, the GNU/Linux
| version was $50 cheaper – or, to put it another way – cost 100*379/399 = 95%
| of the XP model. Today, the same machine still costs $50 less, but the
| proportion is now 100*329/349 = 94%. That may not seem much, but it's a
| number that will continue to decline as prices are reduced. Assuming the same
| price differential is maintained – and it should, since it's determined by
| the extra cost of Windows – a machine costing $250 for XP and $200 for
| GNU/Linux gives a percentage of 80%, which is pretty significant.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...4&entryid=1180

Race to the bottom. Microsoft can't win here. It's just trying to
establish 'Linux tax' with its subsidiary Novell.

Recent:

Lenovo's S10 Netbook Listed - Starts at just US$429

,----[ Quote ]
| Lenovo is expected to also release a Linux version of its netbook, which,
| once again, will not be marketed in the US, as we already noted in one of our
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Lenov...ed-92084.shtml

Lenovo Confirms It's Looking At IBM's 'Microsoft-Free' Client

,----[ Quote ]
| Though nothing is final, Lenovo's participation in the project could vastly
| increase its reach and pose a significant threat to Microsoft's dominance of
| the desktop PC market.
`----

http://tinyurl.com/696935

Lenovo In Talks To Join IBM's 'Microsoft-Free' Program, Sources Say

,----[ Quote ]
| The Microsoft-free software package features IBM's Lotus Notes and Lotus
| Symphony e-mail and desktop productivity suites, running on versions of
| Linux.
`----

Linux preinstalls rocket to three per cent

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is still be shipped with 93 per cent of all PCs sold through
| distribution in the UK, according to Context.
|
| Yet Linux has nevertheless made an impressive gain.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ocket-per-cent

Dell UK launches systems with preinstalled Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/D...--/news/111164
http://tinyurl.com/577g6y