[News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

  1. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Microsoft and Seinfeld: A Comedy of Errors?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft's hiring of Jerry Seinfeld as a Windows Vista pitchman had the
    > | Linux community in stitches last week. The prevailing wisdom seems to be
    > that
    > | it's an indication Windows has jumped the shark. Dell's plans to ship a
    > | subnotebook with Ubuntu gave bloggers a further boost.
    > `----

    Oh looky, looky. This is like the 10th time that everyone has seen this
    story. Yes... Microsoft hired Jerry Seinfeld to do some commercials for
    them. But make sure you repeat this post a dozen or so more times.

    And better yet - you managed to post this from the future because you're too
    stupid to set your system clock.

  2. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:37:58 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > Oh looky, looky. This is like the 10th time that everyone has seen this
    > story. Yes... Microsoft hired Jerry Seinfeld to do some commercials for
    > them. But make sure you repeat this post a dozen or so more times.
    >
    > And better yet - you managed to post this from the future because you're too
    > stupid to set your system clock.

    Schestowitz isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

    However, watching him make a fool of himself daily is priceless.
    Much funnier than Seinfeld.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:37:58 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> Oh looky, looky. This is like the 10th time that everyone has seen this
    >> story. Yes... Microsoft hired Jerry Seinfeld to do some commercials for
    >> them. But make sure you repeat this post a dozen or so more times.
    >>
    >> And better yet - you managed to post this from the future because you're too
    >> stupid to set your system clock.

    > Schestowitz isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
    >
    > However, watching him make a fool of himself daily is priceless.
    > Much funnier than Seinfeld.

    Peter Koehlmann is funnier than Seinfeld.

    http://www.german-jokes.com/

  4. [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

  5. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:58:52 +0200
    :
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:37:58 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>

    >>> Oh looky, looky. This is like the 10th time that everyone has seen this
    >>> story. Yes... Microsoft hired Jerry Seinfeld to do some commercials for
    >>> them. But make sure you repeat this post a dozen or so more times.
    >>>
    >>> And better yet - you managed to post this from the future because
    >>> you're too stupid to set your system clock.

    NAME
    ntpd - "Network Time Protocol daemon"

    SYNOPSIS
    ntpd [-dSs] [-f file]

    DESCRIPTION
    The ntpd daemon synchronizes the local clock to one
    or more remote NTP servers, and can also act as an
    NTP server itself, redistributing the local time.
    It implements the Simple Network Time Protocol
    version 4, as described in RFC 2030, and the Network
    Time Protocol version 3, as described in RFC 1305.

    (You might as well fix this, Roy; it'll give them one
    less issue for them to take cheap potshots at. ;-) )

    >> Schestowitz isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
    >>
    >> However, watching him make a fool of himself daily is priceless.
    >> Much funnier than Seinfeld.

    > Peter Koehlmann is funnier than Seinfeld.
    >
    > http://www.german-jokes.com/

    Well, now that you've both gotten that all out of your
    system, perhaps either of you can tell us how Linux can
    capitalize on all this?

    Or how Vista will benefit so hugely from Jerry Seinfeld's
    shilling that all of Linux, FreeBSD, and FreeDOS will
    die horrible deaths, scuttle into a corner, and never be
    seen again?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- yada yada yada
    Warning: This encrypted signature is a dangerous munition.
    Please notify the US government immediately upon reception.
    0000 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0000 0000 ...

  6. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Monday 25 August 2008 22:59 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >
    > wrote
    > on Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:58:52 +0200
    > :

    Gremlins! You surely haven't followed the link (hint: it's not about Microsoft
    and Seinfeld). Even the subject lines says what it's about.

    > NAME
    > ntpd - "Network Time Protocol daemon"
    >
    > SYNOPSIS
    > ntpd [-dSs] [-f file]
    >
    > DESCRIPTION
    > The ntpd daemon synchronizes the local clock to one
    > or more remote NTP servers, and can also act as an
    > NTP server itself, redistributing the local time.
    > It implements the Simple Network Time Protocol
    > version 4, as described in RFC 2030, and the Network
    > Time Protocol version 3, as described in RFC 1305.
    >
    > (You might as well fix this, Roy; it'll give them one
    > less issue for them to take cheap potshots at. ;-) )
    >

    >>> Schestowitz isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
    >>>
    >>> However, watching him make a fool of himself daily is priceless.
    >>> Much funnier than Seinfeld.

    >> Peter Koehlmann is funnier than Seinfeld.
    >>
    >> http://www.german-jokes.com/

    > Well, now that you've both gotten that all out of your
    > system, perhaps either of you can tell us how Linux can
    > capitalize on all this?
    >
    > Or how Vista will benefit so hugely from Jerry Seinfeld's
    > shilling that all of Linux, FreeBSD, and FreeDOS will
    > die horrible deaths, scuttle into a corner, and never be
    > seen again?

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
    06:05:01 up 35 days, 16:11, 3 users, load average: 0.96, 1.01, 0.83

  7. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > http://www.german-jokes.com/

    Those aren't German jokes, they're English!

    --
    "Ahead warp factor 1"
    -- Captain Kirk

  8. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    <9f45d$48b31827$18026@news.teranews.com>:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Microsoft and Seinfeld: A Comedy of Errors?
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Microsoft's hiring of Jerry Seinfeld as a Windows Vista
    >> | pitchman had the Linux community in stitches last week.
    >> | The prevailing wisdom seems to be that it's an indication
    >> | Windows has jumped the shark. Dell's plans to ship a
    >> | subnotebook with Ubuntu gave bloggers a further boost.
    >> `----
    >>

    > Oh looky, looky. This is like the 10th time that
    > everyone has seen this story. Yes... Microsoft
    > hired Jerry Seinfeld to do some commercials for
    > them. But make sure you repeat this post a dozen
    > or so more times.

    Of course. But if they need a comedian to pitch
    Vista, they're in trouble -- especially one which
    is famous about his stories about nothing, yada
    yada yada. (I can't be more specific; I've
    never watched Seinfeld.)

    I'd have to agree with the article that I'd have
    to prefer Judy Tenuta; she's cute, though I
    know nothing about her actual comedy. ;-)
    Then again, if she has any brains she'd probably
    avoid Microsoft like the plague...

    (BTW: jumping the shark is explained nicely in
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_Shark,
    where Henry Winkler on water skis jumps
    over a shark. After that, Happy Days wasn't
    so happy, apparently.)

    [rest snipped]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }

  9. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:36:07 -0400
    <1ISsk.16470$XB4.8241@bignews9.bellsouth.net>:
    > * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> http://www.german-jokes.com/

    > Those aren't German jokes, they're English!

    I like

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fun...e_in_the_World

    better anyway. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because vaporware only goes so far.

  10. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts toComedy

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft and Seinfeld: A Comedy of Errors?

    Am I the only person in the world who doesn't find seinfeld funny?

  11. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Microsoft and Seinfeld: A Comedy of Errors?

    > Am I the only person in the world who doesn't find seinfeld funny?

    No
    --
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

  12. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts toComedy

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:46:14 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Microsoft and Seinfeld: A Comedy of Errors?

    > Am I the only person in the world who doesn't find seinfeld funny?

    Funny? Well, he's arguably more amusing than, say, a festering pustule,
    but that's about it.

  13. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    >> Am I the only person in the world who doesn't find seinfeld funny?

    >Funny? Well, he's arguably more amusing than, say, a festering pustule,
    >but that's about it.

    I like Seinfeld... A whole lot better than most sitcoms, which make
    me want to barf, the way the laugh-track *roars* after *every*
    (unfunny) line...

  14. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:46:14 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

  16. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Phil Da Lick!

    wrote
    on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:46:14 +0100
    :
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Microsoft and Seinfeld: A Comedy of Errors?

    > Am I the only person in the world who doesn't find seinfeld funny?

    He's probably funny but I can't say I'd go out of my way
    to check. ;-) But the show lasted for 9 seasons and 180
    episodes, so there's a whole lotta nothing in that show
    about nothing.

    That's longer than Star Trek: The Next Generation, which
    only lasted 7 seasons and 178 episodes. At least STTNG had
    a plot on occasion, not to mention cool-looking spacecraft
    and Jeri Ryan on occasion wearing rather tight outfits
    -- though I'd lost interest in the show before the Borg
    showed up.

    And then there's the original series, which only lasted
    3 series and 80 episodes.

    Seinfeld outlasting Picard and Kirk and Spock. My brain hurts.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;

  17. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >____/ chrisv on Wednesday 27 August 2008 17:11 : \____
    >>
    >> I like Seinfeld... A whole lot better than most sitcoms, which make
    >> me want to barf, the way the laugh-track *roars* after *every*
    >> (unfunny) line...

    >Whoever writes down the script ('situation') is probably responsible for the
    >laughs. That would be Larry David, IIRC. Probably others too... Michael
    >Richards is the funny performer, the rest just 'do their role'.

    Yes, I think it's Larry David's humor that I really like.

    --
    "And in next weeks lesson we shall discuss EXIF data!" - Sn^Hhit

  18. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

  19. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    In article ,
    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > That's longer than Star Trek: The Next Generation, which
    > only lasted 7 seasons and 178 episodes. At least STTNG had
    > a plot on occasion, not to mention cool-looking spacecraft
    > and Jeri Ryan on occasion wearing rather tight outfits
    > -- though I'd lost interest in the show before the Borg
    > showed up.

    When was Jeri Ryan on TNG? Her first Star Trek appearance was in
    Voyager, long after TNG ended.

    If you get confused over what Star Trek 7 of 9 was on, just remember
    that Lenny came to the Voyager wrap party the Simpsons threw dressed as
    7 of 9.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  20. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith

    wrote
    on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:18:29 -0700
    :
    > In article ,
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> That's longer than Star Trek: The Next Generation, which
    >> only lasted 7 seasons and 178 episodes. At least STTNG had
    >> a plot on occasion, not to mention cool-looking spacecraft
    >> and Jeri Ryan on occasion wearing rather tight outfits
    >> -- though I'd lost interest in the show before the Borg
    >> showed up.

    > When was Jeri Ryan on TNG? Her first Star Trek appearance was in
    > Voyager, long after TNG ended.

    Was it? I know she played Seven of Nine of the Borg, but
    they run together after awhile....

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature/pedantry: Resource temporarily unavailable

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast