[News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 40 of 40

  1. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:46:14 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft and Seinfeld: A Comedy of Errors?

    >> Am I the only person in the world who doesn't find seinfeld funny?

    > No.
    > I don't find him funny either.

    Seinfeld doesn't do it for me, either, but his show was hilarious.

    Dana Carvey makes me laugh. So does Ron White. Jim Carrey. Joan Rivers.
    The writers of 2-1/2 Men sitcom can toss out some good zingers sometimes.

  2. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:35:44 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Am I the only person in the world who doesn't find seinfeld funny?

    >> No.
    >> I don't find him funny either.

    > Seinfeld doesn't do it for me, either, but his show was hilarious.
    >
    > Dana Carvey makes me laugh. So does Ron White. Jim Carrey. Joan Rivers.
    > The writers of 2-1/2 Men sitcom can toss out some good zingers sometimes.

    Dana Carvey is funny so is Joan Rivers.
    Jim Carrey is funny when he is not doing all that stupid stuff.
    I don't think I have ever heard Ron White.

    I'm not big on TV

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts toComedy

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:18:29 -0700
    > :
    >> In article ,
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> That's longer than Star Trek: The Next Generation, which
    >>> only lasted 7 seasons and 178 episodes. At least STTNG had
    >>> a plot on occasion, not to mention cool-looking spacecraft
    >>> and Jeri Ryan on occasion wearing rather tight outfits
    >>> -- though I'd lost interest in the show before the Borg
    >>> showed up.

    >> When was Jeri Ryan on TNG? Her first Star Trek appearance was in
    >> Voyager, long after TNG ended.

    > Was it? I know she played Seven of Nine of the Borg, but
    > they run together after awhile....
    >
    >> If you get confused over what Star Trek 7 of 9 was on, just remember
    >> that Lenny came to the Voyager wrap party the Simpsons threw dressed as
    >> 7 of 9.

    Yeah it was Crapager she was in.

  4. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    >> Am I the only person in the world who doesn't find seinfeld funny?

    > No.
    > I don't find him funny either.

    However, the Seinfeld TV ensemble worked very well, and was very funny.

    --
    vuja de:
    The feeling that you've *never*, *ever* been in this situation before.

  5. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:56:59 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> Am I the only person in the world who doesn't find seinfeld funny?

    >> No.
    >> I don't find him funny either.

    > However, the Seinfeld TV ensemble worked very well, and was very funny.

    Not for me....
    I'll admit though I don't typically follow the crowd.

    Other shows I couldn't really stomach:

    Moonlighting
    Scully and Moulder
    Cheers. I like Shelly Long though.
    Cosby Show., although Bill Cosby is hysterical and I like *him*.
    Designing Women (Sorry DFS ,smile ) I always wished Annie Potts would grow
    boobs someday.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    In article <4JudnUecm54D_ivVnZ2dnUVZ8rCdnZ2d@posted.plusnet>,
    "Phil Da Lick!" wrote:
    > >> When was Jeri Ryan on TNG? Her first Star Trek appearance was in
    > >> Voyager, long after TNG ended.

    > > Was it? I know she played Seven of Nine of the Borg, but
    > > they run together after awhile....
    > >
    > >> If you get confused over what Star Trek 7 of 9 was on, just remember
    > >> that Lenny came to the Voyager wrap party the Simpsons threw dressed as
    > >> 7 of 9.
    > >>

    > Yeah it was Crapager she was in.

    Speaking of Star Trek, and tt the risk of igniting a flamewar far worse
    than any this group has ever seen:

    DS9 was the best Star Trek series.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  7. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    Tim Smith wrote:

    >> > Was it? I know she played Seven of Nine of the Borg, but
    >> > they run together after awhile....

    >> Yeah it was Crapager she was in.

    > Speaking of Star Trek, and tt the risk of igniting a flamewar far worse
    > than any this group has ever seen:
    >
    > DS9 was the best Star Trek series.

    Right. Although I liked "Enterprise" also.
    But Jeri Ryan really was a looker then in Voyager.
    --
    Machine-Independent, adj.:
    Does not run on any existing machine.

  8. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith

    wrote
    on Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:24:37 -0700
    :

    >> > Was it? I know she played Seven of Nine of the Borg, but
    >> > they run together after awhile....

    >> Yeah it was Crapager she was in.

    > Speaking of Star Trek, and tt the risk of igniting a flamewar far worse
    > than any this group has ever seen:
    >
    > DS9 was the best Star Trek series.

    I'll second that emotion; it was at least interesting,
    though I can't say the Ferengi were treated fairly. ;-)

    Then again, Nana Visitor wasn't bad looking, either.
    And I liked Avery Brooks as Captain Sisko.

    But that wormhole was still silly.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Conventional memory has to be one of the most UNconventional
    architectures I've seen in a computer system.

  9. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    "DFS" wrote in message
    news:t%otk.17774$kh2.12529@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Am I the only person in the world who doesn't find seinfeld funny?

    >> No.
    >> I don't find him funny either.

    > Seinfeld doesn't do it for me, either, but his show was hilarious.

    Same here. Jerry is so-so with me but the chemistry between the characters
    on Seinfeld, the situations and the writing is what made the show funny.

    > Dana Carvey makes me laugh. So does Ron White. Jim Carrey. Joan Rivers.
    > The writers of 2-1/2 Men sitcom can toss out some good zingers sometimes.

    Dana Carvey - never really clicked with me.
    Ron White - Ron who?
    Jim Carrey - I like him but at the same time I wish he did less "stupid"
    material.
    Joan Rivers - Back in her prime, yes.

    Add to the list - Tina Fey. Who I never really liked until about 6-months
    ago.

  10. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    In article ,
    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > > Speaking of Star Trek, and tt the risk of igniting a flamewar far worse
    > > than any this group has ever seen:
    > >
    > > DS9 was the best Star Trek series.
    > >

    > I'll second that emotion; it was at least interesting,
    > though I can't say the Ferengi were treated fairly. ;-)

    But the Ferengi were treated extensively, and that's one of the things
    that made DS9 good. Same for the Trill and the Klingons and the
    Cardassians and the Bajorans. They were all races that were introduced
    in TNG or TOS, but, aside from the Klingons, barely touched.

    The Cardassians were in a few TNG episodes that I recall, but almost
    always as unsympathetic villains. The Ferengi were a joke in TNG. The
    Bajorans were in TNG, but not really developed much, and most as victims
    of the Cardassians.

    The Klingons in TNG moved passed the pure villain role they had in TOS,
    through Worf and stories centered on him.

    DS9 continued the development of the Klingons, and turned the Trill and
    the Ferengi, and the Cardassians, and the Bajorans into fully developed
    races. (Well, the Trill not that much...but still way ahead of TNG).

    Add to that the whole Dominion thing to provide a big unifying theme,
    and it was excellent.

    (Voyager did a similar thing for the Borg and for Q).

    I didn't like the ending of DS9, though. I would have liked to see it
    end something like this:

    Sisko knows that the Founders have infiltrated the highest levels of
    the Federation.

    He also should know that there have been past attempts to infiltrate
    the Federation (I recall at least one from TOS and one from
    TNG...and there was also the episode of TOS where the Enterprise
    went back to the 1960's and found an alien interfering in
    Earth...that should probably count, even though it was before the
    Federation).

    He also knows that the Founders infiltrated the highest levels of
    the Klingon empire.

    He also knows about Section 31--a somewhat rogue intelligence group
    inside the Federation, but not operating under the constraint of
    the Federations laws.

    He also knows that Odo has linked with the other Founders. They
    know what Odo knows. Odo believes the Federation is *not* like
    other "solids" the Founders encountered in the past--the ones that
    persecuted them, and led them to their distrust of all solids.

    This should make him wonder: given that the Founders know Odo's
    sincere belief in the Federation, and given that they have
    infiltrated to high levels of the Federation, and so should know
    first hand that the Federation is nice and means them no harm, isn't
    it odd that they are don't trust the Federation?

    Sisko should deduce from this that it is likely the Founders know
    something about the Federation that he (and Odo) do not. The
    niceness is just PR, and there's something bad at the core.
    Maybe Section 31 is more powerful than he thought. Maybe one (or
    more!) of those past alien attempt to take over have succeeded.

    Sisko and Odo begin a program of internal espionage against the
    Federation to check this out. They determine that there is indeed
    something seriously wrong. Most people in Starfleet know nothing
    about it, and are good people, but they are not going to believe
    Sisko and Odo.

    Sisko secretly meets with the Founders, they share information, and
    agree to work together to save the Federation. They agree that the
    Founders will ask the Federation to negotiate an end to the war, and
    ask for Sisko to be the Federation representative. They will agree
    to fantastic terms, so that Sisko gets a lot of credit in the
    Federation as a master of dealing with the Founders, and they will
    ask that he be the Federation ambassador to the Dominion. The
    Federation agrees--it helps with the peace, and gets Sisko out of
    the way (Section 31, or whoever has been running the Federation
    suspects he might have been getting suspicious).

    The series ends there, with Sisko assuming his new role as ambassador
    to the Dominion.

    That sets us up for a new series, covering Sisko, under cover as
    ambassador to the Dominion, as he works to infiltrate whatever group it
    is that is secretly running the Federation, and take them out, restoring
    the Federation to what it is supposed to be.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  11. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:56:59 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> However, the Seinfeld TV ensemble worked very well, and was very funny.

    > Not for me....
    > I'll admit though I don't typically follow the crowd.

    You're the master of your own domain, eh?

    > Other shows I couldn't really stomach:
    >
    > Moonlighting
    > Scully and Moulder
    > Cheers. I like Shelly Long though.
    > Cosby Show., although Bill Cosby is hysterical and I like *him*.
    > Designing Women (Sorry DFS ,smile ) I always wished Annie Potts would grow
    > boobs someday.

    I don't watch shows much. The only show I looked forward to was MXC.
    Normally I have a soccer, pointy-ball (Amer. football), or a
    nature/documentary show on in the background.

    --
    Photographing a volcano is just about the most miserable thing you can do.
    -- Robert B. Goodman

  12. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:04:50 -0400
    :
    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:56:59 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>>
    >>> However, the Seinfeld TV ensemble worked very well, and was very funny.

    >> Not for me....
    >> I'll admit though I don't typically follow the crowd.

    > You're the master of your own domain, eh?

    Translation: He's in his own little world.... *evil grin*

    >> Other shows I couldn't really stomach:
    >>
    >> Moonlighting
    >> Scully and Moulder
    >> Cheers. I like Shelly Long though.
    >> Cosby Show., although Bill Cosby is hysterical and I like *him*.
    >> Designing Women (Sorry DFS ,smile ) I always wished
    >> Annie Potts would grow boobs someday.

    > I don't watch shows much. The only show I looked
    > forward to was MXC. Normally I have a soccer,
    > pointy-ball (Amer. football), or a
    > nature/documentary show on in the background.

    Heh. Pointy-ball. I'll have to remember that one. :-)
    Especially since there are times I wonder if those on
    the line must have pointy heads to get beaten on by
    the opposing team every down. Still, they're paid well.

    I can't say I've kept up with Ms. Potts' career,
    but she's definitely skinny.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  13. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:56:59 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> No.
    >>> I don't find him funny either.

    >> However, the Seinfeld TV ensemble worked very well, and was very
    >> funny.

    > Not for me....
    > I'll admit though I don't typically follow the crowd.
    >
    > Other shows I couldn't really stomach:
    >
    > Moonlighting

    I liked the chemistry between Willis and Shepherd early on, but I remember
    the writers had them become sexually involved, and I quit watching after
    that.

    > Scully and Moulder

    Never watched a single episode.

    > Cheers. I like Shelly Long though.

    Cheers may be the best sitcom ever made, anywhere, at any time. Sam, Cliff,
    Norm, Diane, Coach, Rebecca, Frasier, Lilith, etc... makes me laugh just
    thinking of them!

    "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing milk-bone underwear" hahaha!!

    > Cosby Show., although Bill Cosby is hysterical and I like *him*.

    I might have watched one episode in however many years it was on. Cosby can
    be funny in his standup, but the show was totally unrealistic. For
    instance, how many of them did jail time like they would have in real life?

    > Designing Women (Sorry DFS ,smile ) I always wished Annie Potts would
    > grow boobs someday.

    Might have watched an episode or two. I do like Annie Potts and Jean Smart.

    I watched a lot of Hill Street Blues, LA Law, NYPD Blue. I love cop and
    lawyer shows. Law & Order/SVU is a good one.

    On HBO, Oz was good. Carnivale was awesome, and the Wired was excellent
    too.

  14. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:58:38 -0400, DFS wrote:

    I used to watch them filming Law and Order in NYC all the time.
    The original one.
    I like cop and lawyer shows as well.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts toComedy

    Tim Smith wrote:
    >>> Was it? I know she played Seven of Nine of the Borg, but
    >>> they run together after awhile....

    >> Yeah it was Crapager she was in.

    > Speaking of Star Trek, and tt the risk of igniting a flamewar far worse
    > than any this group has ever seen:
    >
    > DS9 was the best Star Trek series.

    TNG for me, DS9 slightly behind. Crapager a distant last. Enterprise not
    much better than Crapager.

  16. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts toComedy

    "Phil Da Lick!" stated in post
    XIidnV44C9SRMSrVnZ2dnUVZ8h6dnZ2d@posted.plusnet on 8/29/08 12:58 AM:

    > Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> Yeah it was Crapager she was in.

    >> Speaking of Star Trek, and tt the risk of igniting a flamewar far worse
    >> than any this group has ever seen:
    >>
    >> DS9 was the best Star Trek series.

    > TNG for me, DS9 slightly behind. Crapager a distant last. Enterprise not
    > much better than Crapager.

    The final season of Enterprise was, I thought, very good... though the
    captain should have been played by someone else. And the Vulcan woman...

    --
    Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all

  17. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts toComedy

    Snit wrote:
    > "Phil Da Lick!" stated in post
    > XIidnV44C9SRMSrVnZ2dnUVZ8h6dnZ2d@posted.plusnet on 8/29/08 12:58 AM:
    >
    >> Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> Speaking of Star Trek, and tt the risk of igniting a flamewar far worse
    >>> than any this group has ever seen:
    >>>
    >>> DS9 was the best Star Trek series.

    >> TNG for me, DS9 slightly behind. Crapager a distant last. Enterprise not
    >> much better than Crapager.

    > The final season of Enterprise was, I thought, very good... though the
    > captain should have been played by someone else. And the Vulcan woman...

    Can't speak to that. Gave up on it after the pilot episode. It was a bit
    too berman-esque to me, i.e. formulaic and dull. I also could not accept
    that NX-01 looked way ahead of NCC-1701 even though it was built 100 or
    so years earlier. They should never mess with the continuity. One of the
    reasons I'm not really interested in the upcoming movie.

    But imo trek was ruined by Crapager. Man what a stinker. Formulaic.
    Dull. It used to make me laugh that whenever Crapager was attacked by
    anything - from a single shuttle to a fleet of borg cubes exactly the
    same thing would happen: There'd be a couple of explosions in a computer
    panel behind the captain, some cables would drop down out of an overhead
    compartment, a red-shirter would fly over the rail and tuvok would say
    "Shields at 15% captain" before Janeway [worst actress *ever* to appear
    in a trek series] would pull out some formulaic Deus Ex Machina to save
    the day. I really tried to like this series but it got worse when seven
    of nine appeared - ok she was fit as **** but the character didnt really
    add anything. I thought Kes and her abilities would have been a better
    arc for the story than a pet borg clone.

  18. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:10:37 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Can't speak to that. Gave up on it after the pilot episode. It was a bit
    > too berman-esque to me, i.e. formulaic and dull. I also could not accept
    > that NX-01 looked way ahead of NCC-1701 even though it was built 100 or
    > so years earlier. They should never mess with the continuity. One of the
    > reasons I'm not really interested in the upcoming movie.

    God...
    Now I remember why I avoid trekie conventions like the plague....

    Grown men and women living in some kind of a time warp, pun intended...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts toComedy

    "Phil Da Lick!" stated in post
    o4CdnfuuMP1gISrVnZ2dnUVZ8rGdnZ2d@posted.plusnet on 8/29/08 2:10 AM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "Phil Da Lick!" stated in post
    >> XIidnV44C9SRMSrVnZ2dnUVZ8h6dnZ2d@posted.plusnet on 8/29/08 12:58 AM:

    >>> TNG for me, DS9 slightly behind. Crapager a distant last. Enterprise not
    >>> much better than Crapager.

    >> The final season of Enterprise was, I thought, very good... though the
    >> captain should have been played by someone else. And the Vulcan woman...

    > Can't speak to that. Gave up on it after the pilot episode. It was a bit
    > too berman-esque to me, i.e. formulaic and dull. I also could not accept
    > that NX-01 looked way ahead of NCC-1701 even though it was built 100 or
    > so years earlier. They should never mess with the continuity. One of the
    > reasons I'm not really interested in the upcoming movie.

    The final season they finally figured out that they should be making stories
    that dealt with how the Kirk era came to be... and they did a pretty good
    job.

    > But imo trek was ruined by Crapager. Man what a stinker. Formulaic.
    > Dull. It used to make me laugh that whenever Crapager was attacked by
    > anything - from a single shuttle to a fleet of borg cubes exactly the
    > same thing would happen: There'd be a couple of explosions in a computer
    > panel behind the captain, some cables would drop down out of an overhead
    > compartment, a red-shirter would fly over the rail and tuvok would say
    > "Shields at 15% captain" before Janeway [worst actress *ever* to appear
    > in a trek series] would pull out some formulaic Deus Ex Machina to save
    > the day. I really tried to like this series but it got worse when seven
    > of nine appeared - ok she was fit as **** but the character didnt really
    > add anything. I thought Kes and her abilities would have been a better
    > arc for the story than a pet borg clone.

    When they used the same time-loop BS story twice in the first 4 or 5
    episodes I figured it was not worth watching regularly... and from what I
    saw of it I was right. Seven of nine was useless as a character from what I
    did see.

    --
    What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus? Claustrophobic.

  20. Re: [News] Roundup of Linux Success Stories; Microsoft Resorts to Comedy

    On 2008-08-29, Linonut wrote:
    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:56:59 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    [deletia]
    >> Other shows I couldn't really stomach:
    >>
    >> Moonlighting
    >> Scully and Moulder
    >> Cheers. I like Shelly Long though.
    >> Cosby Show., although Bill Cosby is hysterical and I like *him*.
    >> Designing Women (Sorry DFS ,smile ) I always wished Annie Potts would grow
    >> boobs someday.

    ....you know there's this particular episode that you might want to hunt
    down on the video sharing sites...

    [deletia]

    --

    It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

    They brought us the email virus.

    In my Atari days, such a notion would have |||
    been considered a complete absurdity. / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2