Cloud Computing and Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The web moved from static HTML pages to Web 2.0. Software is increasing
| moving away from the delivery to the “hosted” model. Computing resource
| acquisitions is moving from buying to renting. This has given rise to new
| paradigms of delivering software such as Software-as-a-Service or SaaS and
| Cloud Computing. Open source software has been one of the key enablers of
| these new revolution alongwith open standards (HTML, HTTP, CSS, XML etc).
| Whether it is Linux or Apache or Firefox or Python.
| [...]
| However the GPL has some “loopholes” which Application Service Providers
| (ASPs) exploit. Since the distribution clauses of GPL v2 (and now GPL v3) do
| not govern the software whose functionality is accessed over a network
| (mostly the Internet), ASPs and SaaS companies were able to make changes to
| OSS and not give them back to the community. The license that fixed this
| loophole was the Affero GPL v3. This has a clause that governs the usage of a
| software over the Internet.

AGPLv3 Keeps Open Source Vibrant in Age of SaaS

,----[ Quote ]
| For all practical purposes, the AGPLv3 is a key advance for everyone involved
| in open source, regardless of if you are a software developer, Internet end
| user or enterprise end user. The AGPLv3 closes the ASP loophole and keeps the
| freedom of open source software alive, in the age of SaaS and hosted
| applications.

Funambol - AGPL’d, ad-supported mobile open source

,----[ Quote ]
| For me, one of the more important and serious questions about Funambol
| centers on its licensing choice. Will AGPLv3 licensing, viewed as both a
| positive and a penalty by different parties, prove to fuel a larger, more
| effective developer community? Or will it mire the vendor and its SaaS model
| down in sharing requirements? Steger says the move appears to be paying off
| given Funambol was among the first to adopt the AGPLv3 and adoption of the
| license is now growing.

GPL author: Google must share code

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies like Google that build their business on software such as
| Linux have a moral imperative to contribute back to the free
| software community, a prominent open source advocate said Tuesday.

Funambol Helps New AGPLv3 Open Source License Gain Formal OSI Approval

,----[ Quote ]
| March 13, 2008 - Funambol, the leading provider of Mobile 2.0 messaging
| software powered by open source, today announced that the AGPLv3 has received
| formal approval by the Open Source Initiative (OSI). Funambol led the process
| of the license's approval by the OSI after adopting AGPLv3 in November. It
| was the first company to adopt the license, which closes the "ASP loophole". * *

Census started for enterprise open source use

,----[ Quote ]
| Intended as a pluggable architecture for organizations to provide their own
| fingerprint rules and identify open source packages, OSS Discovery is
| licensed under the new Affero GPLv3 (AGPLv3) for open source SaaS. *

Funambol Is First Major Commercial OpenSource Company To Support AGPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| Funambol, the leading provider of mobile 2.0 messaging software powered by
| open source, today announced it has adopted GNU AGPLv3. This makes Funambol
| the first major commercial open source software company to adopt the license
| that was just released by the Free Software Foundation. Funambol adopted
| AGPLv3 because the company views it as a major open source license of the
| future. * * *

Google pays for Affero ban

,----[ Quote ]
| The projects will join around 10 other AGPL-licensed efforts on SourceForge,
| compared to six on Google Code. Before the defections, Google had been
| discouraging other AGPL projects, saying Google Code does not support AGPL.
| The dispute between Google and developers who want to use AGPL - a version of
| GPLv3 tailored for use in software as a service - has rumbled on since last
| November, when AGPL was finalized.

Google blocking AGPL in Google Code

,----[ Quote ]
| So, first AGPL was not good enough for Google because it was not
| OSI-approved. That limited its popularity... Now it is OSI-approved. Still,
| it is not popular enough to be accepted in the Google closed open source
| hosting site?
| And, by the way, why should people put their open source code in the hands of
| someone who likes open source only when it does good to its business (ehm,
| that could include me, but we are not talking about me, are we ;-) ?
| C'mon Chris, give developers the ability of using AGPL for their own projects
| in Google Code. Your fight for no proliferation of licenses is something I
| subscribe to, but AGPL is the license of the future, no matter if Google
| likes it or not. And I can guarantee you it will become even more popular if
| it is accepted in Google Code...

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)