[News] Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP - Linux

  1. [News] Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    Acer Cuts Price of Aspire one Subnotebook

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Windows XP version of the Aspire one now sells for $350, while the
    | Linux-based version is $330.
    `----

    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14312

    This can't be good for Microsoft's margins. They why they pursue new business
    models like subscription and patent assaults that are slanderous at best.

    Recent:

    Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars

    http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars

    Acer Aspire One ZG5 (Linux)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Solid-state drive, SD storage expansion slot, relatively good battery life
    | from standard 3-cell battery, under 1kg
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....;pid;6355;pt;1

    Acer Aspire one (Linux)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Taking a cue from ASUS’ well-received custom Linux interface, Acer packages
    | the system with a lightweight, customized Linpus Lite Linux operating system.
    | We just wish this netbook lasted longer on a charge.
    `----

    http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...one-linux.aspx

    The Acer Aspire One Netbook Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We'll be taking a look at the Acer's Aspire One, which makes its debut into
    | the rough and ever-evolving world of the netbook market. Featuring an
    | 8.9-inch screen packed into a compact frame, this version of the Aspire One
    | that we're reviewing uses Linux and has only 8GB of storage space, similar to
    | the earlier ASUS Eee PC models. Size wise, this unit is slightly bigger than
    | the Eee PC 901, but still smaller than the MSI Wind NB U100.
    `----

    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...cid=14&id=2619

    Acer Aspire One: the new sub-laptop to beat?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mind you, the 120GB HDD-equipped One is only down as £30 more and comes with
    | 1GB of memory rather than 512MB, though that's plenty for Linux and do you
    | really want a hard drive in a machine that's going to be chucked around a
    | lot? Well, at least you have the choice.
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...er_aspire_one/

    CyberLink Sees Opportunities in Netbooks, Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Multimedia software maker CyberLink sees a lot of opportunities in the
    | fast-growing netbook segment of the computer market, from online access
    | to files stored on home PCs to multimedia software made for Linux OSs.
    |
    | Some of the most popular netbooks, or mini-laptops, being launched come with
    | options for far less storage space than mainstream laptops, such as Asustek's
    | Eee PC 1000, Eee PC 901and Acer's Aspire one.
    |
    | Many of them also run on a Linux OS, such as Linpus Linux Lite on the Aspire
    | one and Linux OS by Xandros on the Eee PC. These netbooks can also come with
    | Windows XP instead.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...oks_linux.html

    Related:

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

  2. Re: [News] Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than~$18 XP

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:20:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Acer Cuts Price of Aspire one Subnotebook
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Windows XP version of the Aspire one now sells for $350, while the
    > | Linux-based version is $330.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14312
    >
    > This can't be good for Microsoft's margins. They why they pursue new
    > business models like subscription and patent assaults that are
    > slanderous at best.

    It can't be that the cost differential for Acer is $20 per unit? That seems
    suspiciously low.

    -Thufir

  3. Re: [News] Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    * thufir peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:20:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Acer Cuts Price of Aspire one Subnotebook
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The Windows XP version of the Aspire one now sells for $350, while the
    >> | Linux-based version is $330.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14312
    >>
    >> This can't be good for Microsoft's margins. They why they pursue new
    >> business models like subscription and patent assaults that are
    >> slanderous at best.

    > It can't be that the cost differential for Acer is $20 per unit? That seems
    > suspiciously low.

    Sounds like they're using Linux to enhance their profit margin.

    --
    NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

  4. Re: [News] Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    Linonut wrote:

    > * thufir peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:20:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Acer Cuts Price of Aspire one Subnotebook
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14312
    >>>
    >>> This can't be good for Microsoft's margins. They why they pursue new
    >>> business models like subscription and patent assaults that are
    >>> slanderous at best.

    >> It can't be that the cost differential for Acer is $20 per unit? That
    >> seems suspiciously low.

    > Sounds like they're using Linux to enhance their profit margin.

    On first sight, yes.

    However, IIRC the price of XP Home (to the manufacturer) on these machines is
    in the order of $30. Then bear in mind the premium that pre-installation
    of "crapware" (pre-loaded 30-day trials, etc.) commands, and I can appreciate
    that pre-loaded Linux isn't going to be much cheaper, if at all, on
    the "headline price".
    By contrast, I look from time to time at Dell prices, and when I actually
    compare like-for-like I find that in the U.K. they seem to charge up to $100
    *more* for Linux rather than Windows! Presumably I'll be told that everybody
    wins if one buys a Windows machine and over-writes it with Linux, in that:-

    - Dell makes a profit on the Windows and the installation of crapware.
    - Microsoft makes a profit, and convinces Joe Public that
    Windows is cheap or "free" on a new machine
    - The Linux user gets a cheaper machine than buying one with Linux pre-loaded!

    However, what has cheered me throughout on pre-loaded Linux offerings is that,
    almost by definition, the manufacturer is selling a true "Linux-ready"
    machine.

  5. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    On Aug 25, 5:27 am, thufir wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:20:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > Acer Cuts Price of Aspire one Subnotebook
    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > > | The Windows XP version of the Aspire one now sells for $350, while the
    > > | Linux-based version is $330.
    > > `----
    > >http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14312

    > > This can't be good for Microsoft's margins. They why they pursue new
    > > business models like subscription and patent assaults that are
    > > slanderous at best.

    > It can't be that the cost differential for Acer is $20 per unit? That seems
    > suspiciously low.

    You probably want to compare the applications on both systems as
    well.

    I know that with ASUS, the "Office" you get with the XP version is the
    "Works" version of Word, and that's it. No excel, no powerpoint, and
    no database.

    With the Linux version, you get a Word 6.0 compatible word processor,
    an Excel compatible spreadsheet, a Powerpoint compatible presentation
    editor, and Access compatible database, and even a nice drawing tool
    (though not visio compatible).

    The linux version also has FireFox, Skype, and multi-service instant
    messaging. You can get more free software after you've purhased the
    machine.

    > -Thufir

  6. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    On Aug 25, 7:33 am, Linonut wrote:
    > * thufir peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > > It can't be that the cost differential for Acer is $20 per unit? That seems
    > > suspiciously low.

    > Sounds like they're using Linux to enhance their profit margin.

    Probably so. They are probably passing on the extra profit to
    retailers as incentive to carry and display the Linux version in
    addition to the Windows version.

  7. Re: [News] Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    ____/ bbgruff on Monday 25 August 2008 13:03 : \____

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * thufir peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> It can't be that the cost differential for Acer is $20 per unit? That
    >>> seems suspiciously low.

    >> Sounds like they're using Linux to enhance their profit margin.

    > On first sight, yes.
    >
    > However, IIRC the price of XP Home (to the manufacturer) on these machines is
    > in the order of $30. Then bear in mind the premium that pre-installation
    > of "crapware" (pre-loaded 30-day trials, etc.) commands, and I can appreciate
    > that pre-loaded Linux isn't going to be much cheaper, if at all, on
    > the "headline price".
    > By contrast, I look from time to time at Dell prices, and when I actually
    > compare like-for-like I find that in the U.K. they seem to charge up to $100
    > *more* for Linux rather than Windows! Presumably I'll be told that everybody
    > wins if one buys a Windows machine and over-writes it with Linux, in that:-
    >
    > - Dell makes a profit on the Windows and the installation of crapware.
    > - Microsoft makes a profit, and convinces Joe Public that
    > Windows is cheap or "free" on a new machine
    > - The Linux user gets a cheaper machine than buying one with Linux
    > pre-loaded!
    >
    > However, what has cheered me throughout on pre-loaded Linux offerings is
    > that, almost by definition, the manufacturer is selling a true "Linux-ready"
    > machine.

    ....With Microsoft 'Linux tax' (codecs). As happy as I am that Dell sells these
    Ubuntu boxes, it's probably better than just get a PC without an O/S (and
    without Intel, NVidia).

    When you buy a Ubuntu PC from Dell, Microsoft is still paid, by Fleundo at the
    very least. Dell joined the Novell/Microsoft deal over a year ago.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows Vistaster: Newly-coined Windows MEstake
    14:20:01 up 35 days, 26 min, 3 users, load average: 0.38, 0.72, 0.73

  8. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    Rex Ballard wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 7:33 am, Linonut wrote:
    >> * thufir peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> It can't be that the cost differential for Acer is $20 per unit?
    >>> That seems suspiciously low.

    >> Sounds like they're using Linux to enhance their profit margin.

    > Probably so (W). They are probably (W) passing on the extra profit to
    > retailers as incentive to carry and display the Linux version in
    > addition to the Windows version (U).

  9. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:59:02 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Rex Ballard on Monday 25 August 2008 14:19 : \____

    >>> It can't be that the cost differential for Acer is $20 per unit? That seems
    >>> suspiciously low.

    > Not quite. The leaked memos (IDG) showed that they give away Windows for as
    > little as $18, IIRC. This means that they so buh-bye to big margins, _just in
    > order to counter the GNU/Linux_. It's not sustainable and Microsoft's
    > financial results already disappoint (stock sank for two consecutive quarters
    > and Microsoft is still buying back its stock very aggressively).
    >
    >> You probably want to compare the applications on both systems as
    >> well.
    >>
    >> I know that with ASUS, the "Office" you get with the XP version is the
    >> "Works" version of Word, and that's it. No excel, no powerpoint, and
    >> no database.
    >>
    >> With the Linux version, you get a Word 6.0 compatible word processor,
    >> an Excel compatible spreadsheet, a Powerpoint compatible presentation
    >> editor, and Access compatible database, and even a nice drawing tool
    >> (though not visio compatible).
    >>
    >> The linux version also has FireFox, Skype, and multi-service instant
    >> messaging. You can get more free software after you've purhased the
    >> machine.

    > How long before Microsoft bundles Office and other software and makes it part
    > of Windows in order to compete? It already ties (bundles) trial versions of
    > Office using OEMs and it also gives Windows (_plus_ Office) just just $3 in
    > some countries. As I said before, they kill the margins. Wait and see them
    > suffer as they struggle to find new revenue models (they already try SaaS and
    > subscription, without much success).
    >
    > - --

    And Linux is FREE.......

    So why would people rather go through the hassles of using pirated copies
    of Windows or Office than use FREE Linux?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  10. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    ____/ Rex Ballard on Monday 25 August 2008 14:19 : \____

    > On Aug 25, 5:27 am, thufir wrote:
    >> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:20:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> > Acer Cuts Price of Aspire one Subnotebook
    >> > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> > `----
    >> >http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14312

    >> > This can't be good for Microsoft's margins. They why they pursue new
    >> > business models like subscription and patent assaults that are
    >> > slanderous at best.

    >> It can't be that the cost differential for Acer is $20 per unit? That seems
    >> suspiciously low.

    Not quite. The leaked memos (IDG) showed that they give away Windows for as
    little as $18, IIRC. This means that they so buh-bye to big margins, _just in
    order to counter the GNU/Linux_. It's not sustainable and Microsoft's
    financial results already disappoint (stock sank for two consecutive quarters
    and Microsoft is still buying back its stock very aggressively).

    > You probably want to compare the applications on both systems as
    > well.
    >
    > I know that with ASUS, the "Office" you get with the XP version is the
    > "Works" version of Word, and that's it. No excel, no powerpoint, and
    > no database.
    >
    > With the Linux version, you get a Word 6.0 compatible word processor,
    > an Excel compatible spreadsheet, a Powerpoint compatible presentation
    > editor, and Access compatible database, and even a nice drawing tool
    > (though not visio compatible).
    >
    > The linux version also has FireFox, Skype, and multi-service instant
    > messaging. You can get more free software after you've purhased the
    > machine.

    How long before Microsoft bundles Office and other software and makes it part
    of Windows in order to compete? It already ties (bundles) trial versions of
    Office using OEMs and it also gives Windows (_plus_ Office) just just $3 in
    some countries. As I said before, they kill the margins. Wait and see them
    suffer as they struggle to find new revenue models (they already try SaaS and
    subscription, without much success).

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Microsoft loves competition.
    "We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger….If you’re going to kill
    someone, there isn’t much reason to get all worked up about it and angry. You
    just pull the trigger. Any discussions beforehand are a waste of time. We need
    to smile at Novell while we pull the trigger."
    --Jim Allchin, Platform Group Vice President

  11. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    In article <1310662.a6xTIp7xjQ@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Not quite. The leaked memos (IDG) showed that they give away Windows for as
    > little as $18, IIRC. This means that they so buh-bye to big margins, _just in
    > order to counter the GNU/Linux_. It's not sustainable and Microsoft's
    > financial results already disappoint (stock sank for two consecutive quarters
    > and Microsoft is still buying back its stock very aggressively).

    So how much should Windows code, Goldilocks?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  12. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    On Aug 25, 2:07 pm, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article <1310662.a6xTIp7...@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > > Not quite. The leaked memos (IDG) showed that they give away Windows for as
    > > little as $18, IIRC. This means that they so buh-bye to big margins, _just in
    > > order to counter the GNU/Linux_. It's not sustainable and Microsoft's
    > > financial results already disappoint (stock sank for two consecutive quarters
    > > and Microsoft is still buying back its stock very aggressively).

    > So how much should Windows code, Goldilocks?
    >
    > --
    > --Tim Smith

    Sorry, Tim. I do not understand the question. Did you intend to have
    another choice of words here?

  13. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 07:19:22 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:

    >> >http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14312

    >> > This can't be good for Microsoft's margins. They why they pursue new
    >> > business models like subscription and patent assaults that are
    >> > slanderous at best.

    >> It can't be that the cost differential for Acer is $20 per unit? That
    >> seems suspiciously low.

    > You probably want to compare the applications on both systems as well.
    >
    > I know that with ASUS, the "Office" you get with the XP version is the
    > "Works" version of Word, and that's it. No excel, no powerpoint, and no
    > database.

    Hmm, how can that not be dumping?

    -Thufir

  14. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    In article
    <28e45f21-289e-4f54-9693-eb1c2518160f@w24g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
    unionpenny@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 2:07 pm, Tim Smith wrote:
    > > In article <1310662.a6xTIp7...@schestowitz.com>,
    > > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > >
    > > > Not quite. The leaked memos (IDG) showed that they give away Windows for
    > > > as
    > > > little as $18, IIRC. This means that they so buh-bye to big margins,
    > > > _just in
    > > > order to counter the GNU/Linux_. It's not sustainable and Microsoft's
    > > > financial results already disappoint (stock sank for two consecutive
    > > > quarters
    > > > and Microsoft is still buying back its stock very aggressively).

    > > So how much should Windows code, Goldilocks?
    > >
    > > --
    > > --Tim Smith

    > Sorry, Tim. I do not understand the question. Did you intend to have
    > another choice of words here?

    Typo: should have been "cost", not "code". Roy complains sometimes that
    they charge too much for Windows, and sometimes that they charge too
    little.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  15. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > Typo: should have been "cost", not "code". *Roy complains sometimes that
    > they charge too much for Windows, and sometimes that they charge too
    > little.

    If they paid you to take it, it would still cost too much.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  16. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    > In article
    >> On Aug 25, 2:07 pm, Tim Smith wrote:
    >> > In article <1310662.a6xTIp7...@schestowitz.com>,

    >> > So how much should Windows code, Goldilocks?
    >> >

    >> Sorry, Tim. I do not understand the question. Did you intend to have
    >> another choice of words here?

    > Typo: should have been "cost", not "code". Roy complains sometimes that
    > they charge too much for Windows, and sometimes that they charge too
    > little.

    That's because they do both, depending on the customer.

    --
    Life's too short to dance with ugly women.

  17. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    Linonut wrote:

    > Timmy wrote:
    >>
    >> Roy complains sometimes
    >> that they charge too much for Windows, and sometimes that they charge
    >> too little.

    > That's because they do both, depending on the customer.

    Poor Timmy. Is he too fscking stupid to understand that both situations
    can, and do, occur, and why it is unethical of M$?

    I believe this has been explained to Timmy twit before. How disingenuous
    of Timmy twit to, again, unfairly attack a Linux advocate with his
    bull****.

  18. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    chrisv writes:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> Timmy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Roy complains sometimes
    >>> that they charge too much for Windows, and sometimes that they charge
    >>> too little.

    >> That's because they do both, depending on the customer.

    > Poor Timmy. Is he too fscking stupid to understand that both situations
    > can, and do, occur, and why it is unethical of M$?
    >
    > I believe this has been explained to Timmy twit before. How disingenuous
    > of Timmy twit to, again, unfairly attack a Linux advocate with his
    > bull****.

    And the correct price is?

    --
    "Vista actually requires more ram than a 32bit cpu can
    address."

  19. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > chrisv writes:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:

    >>> That's because they do both, depending on the customer.

    >> Poor Timmy. Is he too fscking stupid to understand that both situations
    >> can, and do, occur, and why it is unethical of M$?
    >>
    >> I believe this has been explained to Timmy twit before. How disingenuous
    >> of Timmy twit to, again, unfairly attack a Linux advocate with his
    >> bull****.

    > And the correct price is?

    A happy, consistent, medium. No dumping at $3 just to force others out
    of a market, and no gouging like that that has been said to occur in the
    U.K.

    Maybe something like $29, $39, $49, $59 on up to Vista "Ultimate" .

    A recognizable, consistent pricing strategy clear to all.

    It will never happen, of course.

    --
    Astrology is the sheerest hokum. This pseudoscience has been around since
    the day of the Chaldeans and Babylonians. It is as phony as numerology,

  20. Re: Acer Lowers Sub-notebook Price, GNU/Linux Cheaper Than ~$18 XP

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:40:30 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> chrisv writes:

    >>> Poor Timmy. Is he too fscking stupid to understand that both situations
    >>> can, and do, occur, and why it is unethical of M$?
    >>>
    >>> I believe this has been explained to Timmy twit before. How disingenuous
    >>> of Timmy twit to, again, unfairly attack a Linux advocate with his
    >>> bull****.

    >> And the correct price is?

    > A happy, consistent, medium. No dumping at $3 just to force others out
    > of a market, and no gouging like that that has been said to occur in the
    > U.K.
    >
    > Maybe something like $29, $39, $49, $59 on up to Vista "Ultimate" .
    >
    > A recognizable, consistent pricing strategy clear to all.
    >
    > It will never happen, of course.

    $49.99 for Home and that includes a 5 pack of licenses.
    If Microsoft charged something along that range they would have no piracy
    problem or at least it would be far less of a problem.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/