Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working - Linux ; "...the GUI menus suddenly stopped working." http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=197615 Related and/or Recent: ml2mst: "I've been working with SUSE since 1998, but for some mysterious reason, it simply stopped working a couple of months ago." http://groups.google.com/group/comp....78b83a1137b1f5 kernel developers just quit working: "Then I ...

  1. Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working

    "...the GUI menus suddenly stopped working."

    Related and/or Recent:

    ml2mst: "I've been working with SUSE since 1998, but for some mysterious
    reason, it simply stopped working a couple of months ago."
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....78b83a1137b1f5

    kernel developers just quit working: "Then I quit forever."
    http://apcmag.com/interview_with_con...he_desktop.htm

    Samba just quits working: "Then some of this suddenly stopped working."

    Samba just quits working: "My computer just stopped sharing its folder
    (which had worked perfectly) one day"

    keyboard just quits working: "While entering data in Krecipes package
    keyboard quit inputing characters"
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6617_102...sageID=2615582

    keyboard just quits working: "..the keyboard would work for awhile and then
    just quit."
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/..._this_notebook

    yum just quits working: "this has worked for about four months and today it
    has stopped working."
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-119325.html

    network just quits working: "I noticed some times my network will just quit
    working and won't reconnect even if i plug it into a cable nothing works and
    I have to reboot."
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/152456

    wireless just quits working: "Wireless connection just quits working.
    Windows will connect just fine."
    http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lo...hp/t33604.html

    DNS just quits working: "...DNS has just quit working."

    printing just quits working: "...printnig would just quit working for all
    apps..."
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...underbird.html

    audio player just quits working: "... the Audio Player program just quit
    working one day and hasn't worked since."
    http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    PCMCIA card just quits working: "...one day, the connection simply quit
    working."..."The card works fine in win98se, and I have no problems
    connecting to our router, which is a USR8054."
    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26032

    graphics just quit working: "When the WU restarted the graphics window did
    not come back."
    http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=468

    sound just quits working: "I was watching a movie in movie player and the
    right sound channel cut out. Then about 10 seconds later, the left cut out.
    I rebooted and still no sound. My sound is turned up all the way too. I'm
    not sure what I will do. Reinstall something I guess."

    Linuxconf just quits working: "Does Linuxconf actually work? When I use it,
    it tends to mess up my config files (at least for Apache) and always tell me
    some process is taking too long. Sometimes it seems to just quit on me."
    http://rasterweb.net/raster/computers/linux.html

    Mandriva 2006 just quits working: "My Mandriva2006 just quit working !"
    http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42838

    User quits Linux: "That did it for me--Linux was "too hard." I quit."
    http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxswitchstory

  2. Re: Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working

    "DFS" wrote in message
> [...]
    > http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=468
    >

    > sound just quits working: "I was watching a movie in movie player and
    > the right sound channel cut out. Then about 10 seconds later, the
    > left cut out. I rebooted and still no sound. My sound is turned up
    > all the way too. I'm not sure what I will do. Reinstall something I
    > guess." http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=342041
    >

    > Linuxconf just quits working: "Does Linuxconf actually work? When I
    > use it, it tends to mess up my config files (at least for Apache) and
    > always tell me some process is taking too long. Sometimes it seems to
    > just quit on me." http://rasterweb.net/raster/computers/linux.html
    >

    > Mandriva 2006 just quits working: "My Mandriva2006 just quit working
    > !" http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42838
    >

    > User quits Linux: "That did it for me--Linux was "too hard." I quit."

    Can anyone get this **** to work?

  3. Re: Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working

    Rekruled wrote:

    > Can anyone get this **** to work?

    No, Linux doesn't work for anyone. Now leave those of us who use it day in
    and day out alone and go back to your "wonderful" Vista ME.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working

    * RonB peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Rekruled wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone get this **** to work?

    > No, Linux doesn't work for anyone. Now leave those of us who use it day in
    > and day out alone and go back to your "wonderful" Vista ME.

    That won't help. They'll still come to you for help when their Windows
    XP stops booting.

    --
    There is always something new out of Africa.
    -- Gaius Plinius Secundus

  5. Re: Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working

    On 2008-08-25, Linonut wrote:
    > * RonB peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Rekruled wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone get this **** to work?

    >> No, Linux doesn't work for anyone. Now leave those of us who use it day in
    >> and day out alone and go back to your "wonderful" Vista ME.

    > That won't help. They'll still come to you for help when their Windows
    > XP stops booting.

    ....or when they want some of their mp3's burned onto a CDR.

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \

  6. Re: Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working

    [snips]

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 23:28:58 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    >> Related and/or Recent:

    [issue list removed]

    > Can anyone get this **** to work?

    Millions. If it's too hard for you, we understand, though.

    Meantime, if you're going to post collected problems, at least do the
    honest thing and do the same for Windows. Shall we compare the list of
    reported faults of each OS over the last decade? No, didn't think you'd
    want to go there.

  7. Re: Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working

    "Kelsey Bjarnason" schreef in bericht
    > [snips]
    >
    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 23:28:58 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >
    >>> Related and/or Recent:

    > [issue list removed]
    >
    >> Can anyone get this **** to work?

    > Millions. If it's too hard for you, we understand, though.
    >
    > Meantime, if you're going to post collected problems, at least do the
    > honest thing and do the same for Windows. Shall we compare the list of
    > reported faults of each OS over the last decade? No, didn't think you'd
    > want to go there.

    "Reprted faults", Go right ahead: Linux marketshare less than 1 %, Windows
    90%.
    Reported Windows faults XXX : 90 =, seems fair isn't it!
    or
    Reported Linux faults XXX x 90 =, seems fair isn't it!

  8. Re: Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:32:07 +0200, Hans wrote:

    > "Kelsey Bjarnason" schreef in bericht
    >> [snips]

    >> [issue list removed]
    >>
    >>> Can anyone get this **** to work?

    >> Millions. If it's too hard for you, we understand, though.
    >>
    >> Meantime, if you're going to post collected problems, at least do the
    >> honest thing and do the same for Windows. Shall we compare the list of
    >> reported faults of each OS over the last decade? No, didn't think
    >> you'd want to go there.
    >>

    > "Reprted faults", Go right ahead: Linux marketshare less than 1 %,

    Oh, look, another tard who can't figure out that market share is a poor
    metric for a product generally available free.

    When you figure out exactly _why_ you now look like a screaming, drooling
    moron, please feel free to make your statement again, this time without
    the fundamental stupidity.

  9. Re: Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working

    Kelsey Bjarnason writes:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:32:07 +0200, Hans wrote:
    >
    >> "Kelsey Bjarnason" schreef in bericht
    >>> [snips]

    >>> [issue list removed]

    >>> Millions. If it's too hard for you, we understand, though.
    >>>
    >>> Meantime, if you're going to post collected problems, at least do the
    >>> honest thing and do the same for Windows. Shall we compare the list of
    >>> reported faults of each OS over the last decade? No, didn't think
    >>> you'd want to go there.
    >>>

    >> "Reprted faults", Go right ahead: Linux marketshare less than 1 %,

    > Oh, look, another tard who can't figure out that market share is a poor
    > metric for a product generally available free.

    Only if you're a complete idiot. Oh its Kelsey! The fool who wondered
    why anyone would want a few gigs for phone numbers on a video playing
    mobile phone ....

    > When you figure out exactly _why_ you now look like a screaming, drooling
    > moron, please feel free to make your statement again, this time without
    > the fundamental stupidity.

    Of course the rest of us count the number of desktops in use and ratio
    the number using Linux. The source for the numbers could be anecdotal,
    by personal measurement or by looking at the stats from an OS neutral
    site such as the BBC. None perfect of course, but certainly
    representative in most cases.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

  10. Re: Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 23:56:52 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Only if you're a complete idiot. Oh its Kelsey! The fool who wondered
    > why anyone would want a few gigs for phone numbers on a video playing
    > mobile phone ....

    I suspect we should be getting ready for another round of "Kelsey's Fairy
    Tales".
    It's been a while now since his last one.

    >> When you figure out exactly _why_ you now look like a screaming, drooling
    >> moron, please feel free to make your statement again, this time without
    >> the fundamental stupidity.
    >>

    > Of course the rest of us count the number of desktops in use and ratio
    > the number using Linux. The source for the numbers could be anecdotal,
    > by personal measurement or by looking at the stats from an OS neutral
    > site such as the BBC. None perfect of course, but certainly
    > representative in most cases.

    Linux can only be measured when the numbers look good for Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  11. Re: Linux: GUI menus suddenly quit working

    > Linux can only be measured when the numbers look good for Linux.

    No wonder Microsoft is in such a snit over Linux, then.

    --
    I object to intellect without discipline; I object to power without
    constructive purpose.

+ Reply to Thread