Middle-Mouse button - Linux

This is a discussion on Middle-Mouse button - Linux ; Bernhard Agthe wrote in news:g9o2t2$bji$1@daniel-new.mch.sbs.de: >> I have been using this as a shell for a long time (continuous > [...] >> the wallpaper. Clean. > > Well, that does actually bother me, too... but it is out of the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 55 of 55

  1. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    Bernhard Agthe wrote in

    >> I have been using this as a shell for a long time (continuous

    > [...]
    >> the wallpaper. Clean.

    > Well, that does actually bother me, too... but it is out of the
    > current discussion.

    Then I'll ask why it bothers you ? The typical Windows user will spend a
    LOT of time finding nice images to use as a background, and then it's
    covered with icons.

    > Actually as someone else stated, if you want the "fancy" stuff, you
    > have much more restrictions. And let me tell you, this is good -
    > Ubuntu wouldn't be as successful if you had to change the "Registry"
    > and reboot your computer whenever you want to change the desktop
    > background.

    Huh ? Why would you need to reboot to change a background ?

    > Another thought, if you write your app to keep it's state and to run
    > from memory-stick, you can take it with you where ever you go and
    > access it even at your colleague's or your friend's PC, wouldn't that
    > be nice?

    Well, it would be, except that just about all of the people I know with
    PC's are 1) friggin morons, 2) computer illerate, 3) part of the 80+% of
    users that pretty much only do e-mail and browse, and 4) Windows users.

    None of my friends/family have any clue what Linux is and frankly, I've
    been so fed up supporting them for years that I wouldn't even begin to
    think that any of them could handle using Linux (w/o constantly having to
    come to me). Some because of a lack of intelligence, and others that are
    just afraid of change.

    To these people, Windows is a PC, IE is the internet, and a PC case is
    called the hard drive.

  2. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    Jasen Betts wrote:

    > it depends on the window manager, twm whilst not looking very flash
    > is extremely configurable in how it handles user input.

    I've also noticed that in FVWM, if you keep the left ALT key in you can
    use the left, middle and right mouse buttons (even over application
    windows), and it acts as if you clicked on the root desktop window. So
    it seems to ignore the location of the mouse pointer, and send the mouse
    event directly to the root window. I found this feature by accident. :-)

    Graeme.

  3. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    Hi,

    > Huh ? Why would you need to reboot to change a background ?

    OK, that was an exxageration, but you know what I mean.

    > Well, it would be, except that just about all of the people I know with
    > PC's are 1) friggin morons, 2) computer illerate, 3) part of the 80+% of
    > users that pretty much only do e-mail and browse, and 4) Windows users.

    [...]

    OK, I think I know what you mean...

    I'll be off for a while,

    Ciao...

  4. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    DanS wrote:
    > Greeting's,
    >
    > I'm searching for a reliable technique that will allow me to capture middle
    > mouse button clicks.

    I think you will get more help in the "comp.windows.x" newsgroup. There
    is actually a thread going that covers this exact question. :-)

    Graeme.

  5. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    Graeme Geldenhuys writes:

    > Jasen Betts wrote:
    >>
    >> it depends on the window manager, twm whilst not looking very flash
    >> is extremely configurable in how it handles user input.

    > I've also noticed that in FVWM, if you keep the left ALT key in you can
    > use the left, middle and right mouse buttons (even over application
    > windows), and it acts as if you clicked on the root desktop window. So
    > it seems to ignore the location of the mouse pointer, and send the mouse
    > event directly to the root window. I found this feature by accident. :-)

    The real beauty of fvwm is its configurability. It can be configured
    to behave as you have discovered. It can also be configured to behave
    differently in the case you've discovered.

  6. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    Graeme Geldenhuys wrote in

    > DanS wrote:
    >> Greeting's,
    >>
    >> I'm searching for a reliable technique that will allow me to capture
    >> middle mouse button clicks.
    >>

    > I think you will get more help in the "comp.windows.x" newsgroup.
    > There is actually a thread going that covers this exact question. :-)
    >
    > Graeme.

    Excellent....is that the thread entitled: Xlib and mouse events ?

    (I know, it's fairly obvious.)

  7. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    DanS wrote:

    > Excellent....is that the thread entitled: Xlib and mouse events ?

    That's the one!

    Graeme.

  8. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    DanS writes:

    > Jan Panteltje wrote in
    >
    >> There are thousands of commands in Linux, over time you will learn
    >> some, you cannot possibly have them all in a menu structure.

    > I understand that. And nothing like I would want to do.
    >
    > I am speaking of the apps I use regularly.
    >
    > Typically, the top-level menu items are:
    >
    > -Apps
    > -Internet
    > -Games
    > -Multimedia
    > -Programming
    > -Utilities
    >
    > And in those, sub-items for launching apps that I use all the time.
    >
    > That's it. No more levels.

    windows' users coming to unix/linux are a bit the like of people
    coming in europe from a tribal zone in papua, asking where you can
    find some flint to shape in a knife...

    in twm, the most venerable window manager that's really still around,
    you write this in the configuration file (typically $HOME/.twmrc)

    # o-------------- c stands for control
    # | o------------ s stands for shift
    # | | o-------- all stands for everywhere
    # | | | o-- the window manager function that pops-up a menu
    # | | | |
    Button2= c s : all : f.menu "MyMenu"

    so that when you click Button2 with control-shift you pop up,
    everywhere, your menu, that you can define, always in .twmrc, as
    follows

    menu "MyMenu: {
    "My Menu" f.title
    "MyApps" f.menu "MyApps"
    }
    menu "MyApps" {
    "My Apps" f.title
    "Emacs" f.exec "gnuclient -q || xemacs -f '(gnuserv-start)'&"
    }

    of course in most distros there is already a menu system that you can
    hook into, so alternatively you can simply write something like

    Button2= c s " all : f.menu "SystemMenu"

    sadly, other modernistic window manager let you do some of the above
    only after a long clitticky-clittycky session, but that's another story
    --
    miao pinione -- Theo, in IHC

  9. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    Jan Panteltje writes:

    > make sure xbindkeys is started with X
    > in /root/.xsession add:
    > xbindkeys &

    you login as root?
    --
    Per essere sicura di una notizia perņ bisogna sempre leggere le
    visioni di entrambe le parti. --- B'elanna Torres, in IHC

  10. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    On a sunny day (Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:12:58 +0200) it happened Giacomo Boffi
    wrote in <86d4isoag5.fsf@boffi95.stru.polimi.it>:

    >Jan Panteltje writes:
    >
    >> make sure xbindkeys is started with X
    >> in /root/.xsession add:
    >> xbindkeys &

    >you login as root?

    Yes I am always root on this box.

    Why, are you scared or something?
    No need, this should give a hint, running from hdd these days:

    smartctl -a /dev/hdd

    9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 078 078 000 Old_age Always - 19679

    And, typing 'sudo' before every command is too much work.
    ;-)

  11. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    Jan Panteltje writes:
    > Yes I am always root on this box.
    > Why, are you scared or something?

    yes, of course
    --
    le mie sacrosante questioni di principio
    VS gli sciocchi puntigli di quel cretino del mio vicino

  12. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    On a sunny day (Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:28:03 +0200) it happened Giacomo Boffi
    wrote in <868wtaexn0.fsf@boffi95.stru.polimi.it>:

    >Jan Panteltje writes:
    >> Yes I am always root on this box.
    >> Why, are you scared or something?

    >yes, of course

    From what? Aliens?

  13. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    Jan Panteltje writes:
    > From what? Aliens?

    Stupidity. It's something those of you who are infallible need not worry
    about.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  14. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    On 2008-09-30, John Hasler wrote:
    > Jan Panteltje writes:
    >> From what? Aliens?

    > Stupidity. It's something those of you who are infallible
    > need not worry about.

    Of course they're only safe when they run software written
    exclusively by other infallible people.

    For those of us who are fallible ourselves or run software
    written by other fallible people, being root all the time is
    asking for trouble.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Somewhere in DOWNTOWN
    at BURBANK a prostitute is

  15. Re: Middle-Mouse button

    On a sunny day (Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:55:21 -0500) it happened John Hasler
    wrote in <87y719u4ae.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org>:

    >Jan Panteltje writes:
    >> From what? Aliens?

    >Stupidity. It's something those of you who are infallible need not worry
    >about.

    Yes, OK, some hint ;-)
    But really, I do not claim to be infallible, but with >10 years Linux,
    all of those (minus a few hours at most) as root, all I have done wrong
    from _that_ perspective was:
    Typed rm /something/somewhere/ * -rf, or like that, so added an extra space by accident,
    that wiped out much of X on my old Slackware, it was restored from command line
    from original CD or DVD whatever it was without any problems.

    And I sort of on purpose swapped an glib for an other, and that of course stopped many
    dynamically linked essential apps working, but I would have done that anyways
    as root.

    These days, _fear_ sells, do not fix your own car (you can no longer it is all electronics)
    do not bring shampoo in hand luggage on plane, look under bed for Al Quada, NEVER be root,
    some idiotic distro even shows a red screen or something, do not drink Chinese milk, do
    not invest in shares from your bank, blah blah blah.
    hell this is development apps, if people here are afraid to be root they could
    as well be afraid to get up out of bed, the sky may fall on your head.
    The essence is: You _can_ make mistakes, that is fine, as long
    as you can also correct them.
    And, being here, you should be able to correct them.

    Now I come from way back electronics hardware, and mistake == smoke.
    Then I wen to asm on a simple computer with a tape loader, and mistake
    is 15 minutes wait to reload.
    So, I _do_ pay attention to what I type.
    Just did a couple of scripts for digital camera processing on a eeepc,
    'frame rate conversion, all as root of course, that small keyboard causes a lot of typos,
    missed characters etc.
    It is running a mpeg4 encoding now from SDcard to memory stick.
    But I had to be root to mount those, so save me all that bull**** about
    fear for root, if you have it go work for GW Bush the fear monger.
    Hoo Hoo the Russians are coming...

    Anyone else bytes?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3