[News] Netbook Prices Are Now Falling - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Netbook Prices Are Now Falling - Linux ; Personal computer maker Acer said Friday morning it is cutting the price of its Aspire “netbook” to $349 from $399. It’s cutting the price of another netbook, the Linpus Linux Lite, to $329 from $379... The entire category of so-called ...

  1. [News] Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    Personal computer maker Acer said Friday morning it is cutting the
    price of its Aspire “netbook” to $349 from $399. It’s cutting the
    price of another netbook, the Linpus Linux Lite, to $329 from $379...

    The entire category of so-called netbooks...may be headed over a price
    cliff, according to industry analysts....

    The category threatens to upset some very established computing giants
    – from Microsoft to Hewlett-Packard – because they don’t require the
    powerful on-board software and computing power that have driven
    marketing and sales in the past....

    As far as consumers are concerned, Mr. Doherty said, analysts seemed
    to think the prices will continue to fall. In the near future,
    netbooks could sell regularly for $299, and might well drop by the
    holidays to $249.

    “There’s a lot of price sensitivity,” he said. “They could cost the
    same as a cell phone – or lower.”

    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...e-now-falling/

    Prices of hardware falling....makes it harder to make a profit on
    expensive, bloated software, doesn't it?

  2. Re: [News] Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Prices of hardware falling....makes it harder to make a profit on
    > expensive, bloated software, doesn't it?

    Oh yes:-)

    It might be interesting sometime for us here to postulate the
    minimum-reasonable-specification for a machine capable of what (say) 90% of
    home users (and probably office users, come to that!) actually need, assuming
    that "fast games" aren't a requirement.

    For instance, imo a netbook, with perhaps the ability to plug in a bigger
    monitor and full-size K/B when at the desk, is probably more than enough?

  3. Re: [News] Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    * bbgruff peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >> Prices of hardware falling....makes it harder to make a profit on
    >> expensive, bloated software, doesn't it?

    > Oh yes:-)
    >
    > It might be interesting sometime for us here to postulate the
    > minimum-reasonable-specification for a machine capable of what (say) 90% of
    > home users (and probably office users, come to that!) actually need, assuming
    > that "fast games" aren't a requirement.
    >
    > For instance, imo a netbook, with perhaps the ability to plug in a bigger
    > monitor and full-size K/B when at the desk, is probably more than enough?

    We may be on our way to a bloatware antidote!

    --
    Do not disturb.

  4. Re: [News] Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

  5. Re: [News] Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:17:09 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    wrote:

    > Personal computer maker Acer said Friday morning it is cutting the
    > price of its Aspire ¡§netbook¡¨ to $349 from $399. It¡¦s cutting the
    > price of another netbook, the Linpus Linux Lite, to $329 from $379...
    >
    > The entire category of so-called netbooks...may be headed over a price
    > cliff, according to industry analysts....
    >
    > The category threatens to upset some very established computing giants
    > ¡V from Microsoft to Hewlett-Packard ¡V because they don¡¦t require the
    > powerful on-board software and computing power that have driven
    > marketing and sales in the past....
    >
    > As far as consumers are concerned, Mr. Doherty said, analysts seemed
    > to think the prices will continue to fall. In the near future,
    > netbooks could sell regularly for $299, and might well drop by the
    > holidays to $249.
    >
    > ¡§There¡¦s a lot of price sensitivity,¡¨ he said. ¡§They could cost the
    > same as a cell phone ¡V or lower.¡¨
    >

    > http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...e-now-falling/
    >
    > Prices of hardware falling....makes it harder to make a profit on
    > expensive, bloated software, doesn't it?

    That is usually either the sign of a price war between vendors or that the
    units are not selling well.
    It could also be advances in technology allowing the manufacturing costs to
    be lowered, although in this case I doubt that.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [News] Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 22:23:28 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Linonut on Sunday 24 August 2008 20:47 : \____
    >
    >> * bbgruff peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Oh yes:-)
    >>>
    >>> It might be interesting sometime for us here to postulate the
    >>> minimum-reasonable-specification for a machine capable of what (say) 90% of
    >>> home users (and probably office users, come to that!) actually need,
    >>> assuming that "fast games" aren't a requirement.
    >>>
    >>> For instance, imo a netbook, with perhaps the ability to plug in a bigger
    >>> monitor and full-size K/B when at the desk, is probably more than enough?

    >> We may be on our way to a bloatware antidote!

    > Isn't "netbook" a dangerous trademark? ARM is enetring this market soon and
    > maybe AMD as well. A low-end laptop (or sub-notebook) has nothing to do with
    > just one corrupt company that bribed and sabotaged a charity only to slap its
    > trademarks on the very same 'invention', which forced it to end the
    > price-fixing gig.

    Once again Schestowitz proves several things:

    1. He is an idiot.
    2. You either have to do it *their way* or it's the highway....

    What a fool...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [News] Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:38:48 +0100, bbgruff wrote:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >> Prices of hardware falling....makes it harder to make a profit on
    >> expensive, bloated software, doesn't it?

    > Oh yes
    >
    > It might be interesting sometime for us here to postulate the
    > minimum-reasonable-specification for a machine capable of what (say) 90%
    > of home users (and probably office users, come to that!) actually need,
    > assuming that "fast games" aren't a requirement.
    >
    > For instance, imo a netbook, with perhaps the ability to plug in a
    > bigger monitor and full-size K/B when at the desk, is probably more than
    > enough?

    The Palm Folio was just barely ahead of the market.

    -Thufir

  8. Re: Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:06:05 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:

    > I saw the Linux version of the EEE 4G on display at Heathrow airport,
    > and saw the Windows version at Best Buy in New Jersey the next day. I
    > was actually even more impressed by the Linux version. It seems that
    > the Windows version ONLY comes with Word, not all of works. The Linux
    > version comes with Writer (like Word), Presents (like PowerPoint), Calc
    > (like Excel), and Base (like Access), and all of them are quite
    > functional on the EEE 4G.

    Open Office runs under Windows, so they *could* include that software
    with the XP version.

    -Thufir

  9. Re: Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    On Aug 25, 3:27 am, thufir wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:06:05 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:
    > > I saw the Linux version of the EEE 4G on display at Heathrow airport,
    > > and saw the Windows version at Best Buy in New Jersey the next day. I
    > > was actually even more impressed by the Linux version. It seems that
    > > the Windows version ONLY comes with Word, not all of works. The Linux
    > > version comes with Writer (like Word), Presents (like PowerPoint), Calc
    > > (like Excel), and Base (like Access), and all of them are quite
    > > functional on the EEE 4G.

    > Open Office runs under Windows, so they *could* include that software
    > with the XP version.

    Not without Microsoft's prior written permission. It seems that
    Microsoft would rather give the OEMs word from works than a fully
    functional office suite. If this is the "package deal" that OEMs are
    getting, it's not that surprising that OEMs are looking more seriously
    at Linux.

    I mean, Windows XP with office would be "same stuff different day, ho
    hum", but what they are offering with the NetBooks is more like "What
    the F&*k is this, half the stuff is missing". While the Linux version
    as more like "Well this is new and different, and they threw in a
    database too, not bad".

    For the 300 million who still haven't installed Open Office, that
    might be a problem. But for the 700 million who have installed Open
    Office on Windows systems, and know what they are getting, they know
    that it's enough for what a NetBook was designed to be.

    If Microsoft's hope is that notebook prices crash so low that nobody
    will want a NetBook anymore, that's probably very bad news to the OEMs
    who have paid a handsome price for Vista based on the promise of high
    volumes and premium prices.

    I'm wondering if the OEMs have price and volume minimums that would
    trigger a renegotiation of contracts with Microsoft. I would guess
    that many of the OEMs opted NOT to accept the trivial discounts in
    exchange for giving Microsoft additional control.

    In addition, I would guess that they are making some unusual requests,
    like dual-boot, VMWare, and other "dual-mode" configurations, and
    Microsoft has only 10 business days to respond with specific reasons
    for rejecting such configuration changes. They want the same kind of
    deal that Apple has, where they can preinstall their own version of
    Linux or Unix, like Apple did, and then ADD Windows, the way Apple
    does, as a concurrent system working under VMWare. If Microsoft
    rejects too many such configurations for bogus reasons, that would
    give the OEMs the ammunition to go to the judge, or even file lawsuits
    on their own behalf.

    It could mean another 10 billion in legal bills or Microsoft over the
    next 5-7 years. Microsoft could handle it back when sales were strong
    and both OEMs and Corporate customers were loyal. I suspect that if
    OEMs start pushing for intervention, and corporations continue to
    reduce their Microsoft budget by opting not to upgrade, opting for
    lower grade service contracts, and switching more systems to Linux,
    that Microsoft might find itself less equipped to pay $3 million/day
    fines and $3 billion settlements, especially of they actually have to
    pay cash, because the schools don't want Vista and Offiice anymore.

  10. Re: Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    On Aug 24, 4:38 pm, bbgruff wrote:
    > ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > > Prices of hardware falling....makes it harder to make a profit on
    > > expensive, bloated software, doesn't it?

    > Oh yes:-)
    >
    > It might be interesting sometime for us here to postulate the
    > minimum-reasonable-specification for a machine capable of what (say) 90% of
    > home users (and probably office users, come to that!) actually need, assuming
    > that "fast games" aren't a requirement.

    Even more interesting to postulate the impact of Moore's law on an
    "All solid state" PC in which cost and performance aren't limited by
    disk drive rotational speeds and Microsoft's bloatware.

    If the costs of the electronics drop by half in 18 months, and the
    performance doubles, the NetBook running Linux could drop in price to
    around $200 by this time next year, and would be twice as fast, and
    would have 32 gig internal and external flash drives. It might also
    be able to be in "standby" for 200 hours (like a cell phone), and in
    active mode for 6-8 hours between charges..

    Alas, it would still be too little for Vista, so Microsoft would have
    to continue to support a slightly more jazzed up version of XP (Pro?),
    and still would only support a crippled version of Works (word only?).

    > For instance, imo a netbook, with perhaps the ability to plug in a bigger
    > monitor and full-size K/B when at the desk, is probably more than enough?

    I have an ASUS EEE, and it's no problem at all plugging into a high
    res monitor, and a full size keyboard when at a desk. It shouldn't be
    much longer before we can get 1080p resolution using the hotel HDTV as
    a monitor, and use a foldable full-size keyboard similar to those used
    with PDAs. Or the "rollable" one that packs so nicely into duffle
    bags or laptop cases.

  11. Re: Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    "Rex Ballard" wrote in message
    > On Aug 25, 3:27 am, thufir wrote:
    >> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:06:05 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:
    >> > I saw the Linux version of the EEE 4G on display at Heathrow airport,
    >> > and saw the Windows version at Best Buy in New Jersey the next day. I
    >> > was actually even more impressed by the Linux version. It seems that
    >> > the Windows version ONLY comes with Word, not all of works. The Linux
    >> > version comes with Writer (like Word), Presents (like PowerPoint), Calc
    >> > (like Excel), and Base (like Access), and all of them are quite
    >> > functional on the EEE 4G.

    >> Open Office runs under Windows, so they *could* include that software
    >> with the XP version.

    > Not without Microsoft's prior written permission.

    Proof!!!! Once again you make up lies.

    > For the 300 million who still haven't installed Open Office, that
    > might be a problem. But for the 700 million who have installed Open
    > Office on Windows systems,

    What orifice did you pull these numbers out of. Once again... PROVE your
    statements.

  12. Re: Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    On Aug 24, 6:23 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > >> For instance, imo a netbook, with perhaps the ability to plug in a bigger
    > >> monitor and full-size K/B when at the desk, is probably more than enough?

    > > We may be on our way to a bloatware antidote!

    > Isn't "netbook" a dangerous trademark? ARM is enetring this market soon and
    > maybe AMD as well. A low-end laptop (or sub-notebook) has nothing to do with
    > just one corrupt company that bribed and sabotaged a charity only to slap its
    > trademarks on the very same 'invention', which forced it to end the
    > price-fixing gig.

    My guess is that "NetBook" is just the first of many trademarks to
    come out for the sub-notebook class. One of the things that has
    always amazed me in the talent for Madison Avenue (corporate
    marketing) to repackage open source and make it completely acceptable,
    simply by using a different trademark or technical term.

    Linux servers on the internal corporate network = Intranet.
    Linux servers providing ipsec access to corparate networks = VPN
    Linux servers provding read only access = Browser
    Linux servers with addressable content via application://host/path/file
    notation = Web
    Linux servers providing dial-up access to the Internet = ISP
    Linux servers providing fast storage access = NAS or SAN
    Open Source providing ability to pass messages in batch mode = e-mail
    Open Source providing the ability to pass messages in real time = chat
    or instant messaging.
    A bunch of Linux servers strapped together = grid computing
    A bunch of Linux servers providing desktop applications = cloud
    computing

    The list goes on and on. Often, the Linux/OSS software gets moved to
    a proprietary Unix, or to a Linux "Appliance", and becomes an very
    successful LINE of products, but the Linux trademark disappears,
    because Linus and the GPL do not require that it be displayed.

    Linux running on very small and cheap sub-notebook computers will
    probably get 3 or 4 monikers before somebody picks a generic term that
    becomes synonymous with the device class.

    > [rant /]

  13. Re: Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    Rex Ballard wrote:
    >>> works. The Linux version comes with Writer (like Word), Presents
    >>> (like PowerPoint), Calc (like Excel), and Base (like Access), and
    >>> all of them are quite functional on the EEE 4G.

    Impress is the name of the OO Powerpoint knockoff.

    Let's play a game, Visionary Kingmaker for the Internet and Linux Community.
    We'll count how many times you make lunatic, unsupported, imaginary claims
    about Linux, Microsoft, Windows or Mac (denoted by U), and how many times
    you weasel out using speculative words or phrases like "if" and "would
    guess" (denoted by W):

    > Not without Microsoft's prior written permission (U). It seems (W) that
    > Microsoft would rather give the OEMs word from works than a fully
    > functional office suite. If (W) this is the "package deal" that OEMs are
    > getting, it's not that surprising that OEMs are looking more seriously
    > at Linux (U)
    >
    > I mean, Windows XP with office would be "same stuff different day, ho
    > hum", but what they are offering with the NetBooks is more like "What
    > the F&*k is this, half the stuff is missing". While the Linux version
    > as more like "Well this is new and different, and they threw in a
    > database too, not bad".
    >
    > For the 300 million who still haven't installed Open Office (U), that
    > might (W) be a problem. But for the 700 million who have installed Open
    > Office on Windows systems (U), and know what they are getting, they know
    > that it's enough for what a NetBook was designed to be.
    >
    > If (W) Microsoft's hope is that notebook prices crash so low that nobody
    > will want a NetBook anymore, that's probably (W) very bad news to the OEMs
    > who have paid a handsome price for Vista based on the promise of high
    > volumes and premium prices (U)
    >
    > I'm wondering (W) if the OEMs have price and volume minimums that would
    > trigger a renegotiation of contracts with Microsoft. I would guess (W)
    > that many of the OEMs opted NOT to accept the trivial discounts in
    > exchange for giving Microsoft additional control (U).
    >
    > In addition, I would guess (W) that they are making some unusual requests,
    > like dual-boot, VMWare, and other "dual-mode" configurations, and
    > Microsoft has only 10 business days to respond with specific reasons
    > for rejecting such configuration changes (U). They want the same kind of
    > deal that Apple has, where they can preinstall their own version of
    > Linux or Unix, like Apple did, and then ADD Windows, the way Apple
    > does, as a concurrent system working under VMWare (U). If Microsoft
    > rejects too many such configurations for bogus reasons (W), that would
    > give the OEMs the ammunition to go to the judge, or even file lawsuits
    > on their own behalf (U).
    >
    > It could mean (W) another 10 billion in legal bills or Microsoft over the
    > next 5-7 years (U). Microsoft could (W) handle it back when sales were
    > strong
    > and both OEMs and Corporate customers were loyal (U). I suspect that if
    > (W)
    > OEMs start pushing for intervention, and corporations continue to
    > reduce their Microsoft budget by opting not to upgrade, opting for
    > lower grade service contracts, and switching more systems to Linux,
    > that Microsoft might (W) find itself less equipped to pay $3 million/day
    > fines and $3 billion settlements (U), especially of (W) they actually have
    > pay cash, because the schools don't want Vista and Offiice anymore (U).

    I count a total of 27 Us and W's in 16 sentences. Wow! You really are a
    Linux Visionary.

    And I note you often follow a W (weasel word) with a U (unsupportable
    lunatic claim). This is a good tactic in case the many Microsoft agents
    reading cola decide to try and build a case against you for libel.

  14. Re: Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:06:05 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:

    > At Best Buy I saw the Windows version still selling at $459, but there
    > were full sized laptops within 10 feet that were selling for as little
    > as $550.

    Same thing at CircuitCity...
    The Gateway I bought my daughter was $599 on sale and is pretty much
    loaded.
    When you see the price differential and then look at the netbook units side
    by side with the full sized laptops, the full laptop looks like a much
    better deal considering what you get.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    Rex Ballard writes:

    > On Aug 25, 3:27 am, thufir wrote:
    >> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:06:05 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:
    >> > I saw the Linux version of the EEE 4G on display at Heathrow airport,
    >> > and saw the Windows version at Best Buy in New Jersey the next day. I
    >> > was actually even more impressed by the Linux version. It seems that
    >> > the Windows version ONLY comes with Word, not all of works. The Linux
    >> > version comes with Writer (like Word), Presents (like PowerPoint), Calc
    >> > (like Excel), and Base (like Access), and all of them are quite
    >> > functional on the EEE 4G.

    >> Open Office runs under Windows, so they *could* include that software
    >> with the XP version.

    > Not without Microsoft's prior written permission.

    Saturn, in Germany, was shipping new Windows PCs with Star Office for a
    while. No one wanted it so they stopped in my local branch.

  16. Re: Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    ____/ Rex Ballard on Monday 25 August 2008 13:39 : \____

    > On Aug 24, 4:38 pm, bbgruff wrote:
    >> ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> > Prices of hardware falling....makes it harder to make a profit on
    >> > expensive, bloated software, doesn't it?

    >> Oh yes:-)
    >>
    >> It might be interesting sometime for us here to postulate the
    >> minimum-reasonable-specification for a machine capable of what (say) 90% of
    >> home users (and probably office users, come to that!) actually need,
    >> assuming that "fast games" aren't a requirement.

    > Even more interesting to postulate the impact of Moore's law on an
    > "All solid state" PC in which cost and performance aren't limited by
    > disk drive rotational speeds and Microsoft's bloatware.
    >
    > If the costs of the electronics drop by half in 18 months, and the
    > performance doubles, the NetBook running Linux could drop in price to
    > around $200 by this time next year, and would be twice as fast, and
    > would have 32 gig internal and external flash drives. It might also
    > be able to be in "standby" for 200 hours (like a cell phone), and in
    > active mode for 6-8 hours between charges..
    >
    > Alas, it would still be too little for Vista, so Microsoft would have
    > to continue to support a slightly more jazzed up version of XP (Pro?),
    > and still would only support a crippled version of Works (word only?).
    >
    >> For instance, imo a netbook, with perhaps the ability to plug in a bigger
    >> monitor and full-size K/B when at the desk, is probably more than enough?

    > I have an ASUS EEE, and it's no problem at all plugging into a high
    > res monitor, and a full size keyboard when at a desk. It shouldn't be
    > much longer before we can get 1080p resolution using the hotel HDTV as
    > a monitor, and use a foldable full-size keyboard similar to those used
    > with PDAs. Or the "rollable" one that packs so nicely into duffle
    > bags or laptop cases.

    I wonder just how much manipulation is going on behind the scenes with ASUS. A
    spokesman recently dropped some hints about Microsoft intervention. Rest
    assured, for talking about it the Microsoft Munchkins will resort to attacking
    people. They know it's true.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally
    | signals publicly -- and their customers are using it, so it's important that
    | Microsoft have a good interoperability story on that front. Linking up with a
    | Linux vendor is a good way to do that," added Paul DeGroot, a Directions On
    | Microsoft analyst.
    `----

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Mod me up and I'll mod you 'insightful'"
    Cpu(s): 21.5%us, 3.7%sy, 0.1%ni, 73.3%id, 1.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.4%si, 0.0%st

  17. Re: Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:18:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I wonder just how much manipulation is going on behind the scenes with ASUS. A
    > spokesman recently dropped some hints about Microsoft intervention. Rest
    > assured, for talking about it the Microsoft Munchkins will resort to attacking
    > people. They know it's true.

    Yawwn.....

    With all the people, companies and products that you find conspiracy
    theories associated with, exactly what is going to be left on earth for you
    to use?

    I think you are going off the rails Roy Schestowitz.

    BTW who is paying you to spew this crap 24x7?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/