Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu - Linux

This is a discussion on Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu - Linux ; I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play music it keeps stuttering and sloshing and then sometimes plays fully and sometimes does not. I called the help desk and they said I should enter ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play music it keeps
    stuttering and sloshing and then sometimes plays fully and sometimes does
    not. I called the help desk and they said I should enter some sort of sumo
    wrestling crap or that the situation would be as they said terminal. I
    talked with Hank or Frank or whatever the hell his name is and he was
    clueless. Anyone in here know how to fix music?

  2. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    Snot/Snit/Rekruled/Michael Glasser blubbered incoherently:

    > I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play music it keeps
    > stuttering and sloshing and then sometimes plays fully and sometimes does
    > not. I called the help desk and they said I should enter some sort of
    > sumo
    > wrestling crap or that the situation would be as they said terminal. I
    > talked with Hank or Frank or whatever the hell his name is and he was
    > clueless. Anyone in here know how to fix music?

    It helps a lot when you try to hear a lenghty CD fully underwater,
    Snot/Snit/Rekruled/Michael Glasser
    --
    I just found out that the brain is like a computer.
    If that's true, then there really aren't any stupid people.

  3. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    "Rekruled" schreef in bericht
    >I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play music it keeps
    >stuttering and sloshing and then sometimes plays fully and sometimes does
    >not. I called the help desk and they said I should enter some sort of sumo
    >wrestling crap or that the situation would be as they said terminal. I
    >talked with Hank or Frank or whatever the hell his name is and he was
    >clueless. Anyone in here know how to fix music?

    Ubuntu is total crap, I have my USB stick, called Toolbox inserted in my
    machine and it mounts well, but it won't unmount. The icons stay on my
    dektop untill hell freezes over and won't go away.
    Should I call Hank or Fwank for this?, what might be considered as a minor
    issue for the linux zealots but not for a n00b?
    Ubuntu "user friendly"?, no it's not!
    http://www.angelfire.com/psy/doctorbill/toolbox.jpg
    --
    Please state the nature of the medical emergency?
    Dr. Bill's ©, Usenet Medical Services ®, First Aid Team [tm].

  4. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:18:11 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    > I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play music it keeps
    > stuttering and sloshing and then sometimes plays fully and sometimes does
    > not. I called the help desk and they said I should enter some sort of sumo
    > wrestling crap or that the situation would be as they said terminal. I
    > talked with Hank or Frank or whatever the hell his name is and he was
    > clueless. Anyone in here know how to fix music?

    Try PCLinuxOS, turn off the ARTS sound server under kde and use ALSA for
    everything.

    Assuming you don't have an IRQ conflict with something like your video card
    or USB mouse etc, all should be fine.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    On Aug 24, 1:18*pm, "Rekruled" wrote:
    > I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play music it keeps
    > stuttering and sloshing and then sometimes plays fully and sometimes does
    > not. *I called the help desk and they said I should enter some sort of sumo
    > wrestling crap or that the situation would be as they said terminal. *I
    > talked with Hank or Frank or whatever the hell his name is and he was
    > clueless. *Anyone in here know how to fix music?

    /hda, now sudo, very nice. The best way to fix music is to make some
    yourself. Whatever CD you were listening too probably sucked anyway.

  6. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:18:11 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    > I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play music it
    > keeps stuttering and sloshing and then sometimes plays fully and
    > sometimes does not. I called the help desk and they said I should enter
    > some sort of sumo wrestling crap or that the situation would be as they
    > said terminal.

    I didn't know there was a help desk. What was the number?

    -Thufir

  7. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    "thufir" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:18:11 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >
    >> I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play music it
    >> keeps stuttering and sloshing and then sometimes plays fully and
    >> sometimes does not. I called the help desk and they said I should
    >> enter some sort of sumo wrestling crap or that the situation would
    >> be as they said terminal.

    > I didn't know there was a help desk. What was the number?
    >

    > -Thufir

    RTFM Asshole!

  8. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 00:10:05 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    > "thufir" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:18:11 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >>
    >>> I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play music it
    >>> keeps stuttering and sloshing and then sometimes plays fully and
    >>> sometimes does not. I called the help desk and they said I should
    >>> enter some sort of sumo wrestling crap or that the situation would be
    >>> as they said terminal.

    Certainly sounds terminal. You've got a real knack for this, haven't you?

    >> I didn't know there was a help desk. What was the number?
    >>

    >> -Thufir

    > RTFM Asshole!

    "No manual entry for helpdesk"

    thufir@arrakis:~$
    thufir@arrakis:~$ man helpdesk
    No manual entry for helpdesk
    thufir@arrakis:~$

    Although, curiously, "info helpdesk" does bring up a file...

    Oh, did you purchase paid support?

    -Thufir

  9. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    On 2008-08-24, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > Snot/Snit/Rekruled/Michael Glasser blubbered incoherently:
    >
    >> I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play music it keeps
    >> stuttering and sloshing and then sometimes plays fully and sometimes does

    I dunno. I've never seen this.

    What else are you trying to do when this is going on?

    Are you ripping something? Are you trying to something computationally
    intensive like converting an HD MPEG2 recording to DIVX? Are you pushing
    10's or 100's of Gigabytes across a LAN? Are you moving 100s of Gigabytes
    around internally?

    >> not. I called the help desk and they said I should enter some sort of
    >> sumo
    >> wrestling crap or that the situation would be as they said terminal. I
    >> talked with Hank or Frank or whatever the hell his name is and he was
    >> clueless. Anyone in here know how to fix music?

    > It helps a lot when you try to hear a lenghty CD fully underwater,
    > Snot/Snit/Rekruled/Michael Glasser

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \

  10. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 07:45:29 +0000, thufir wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 00:10:05 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >
    >> "thufir" wrote in message

    > Certainly sounds terminal. You've got a real knack for this, haven't
    > you?
    >

    >>> I didn't know there was a help desk. What was the number?
    >>>

    >>> -Thufir

    >> RTFM Asshole!

    > "No manual entry for helpdesk"
    >
    > thufir@arrakis:~$
    > thufir@arrakis:~$ man helpdesk
    > No manual entry for helpdesk
    > thufir@arrakis:~$
    >

    > Although, curiously, "info helpdesk" does bring up a file...
    >
    > Oh, did you purchase paid support?

    I like the bit about 'sumo wrestling" or the situation "would be
    terminal". If there were *any* doubt whatsoever that the dude was a
    troll, it's now firmly gone.

    So, for that matter, is he.

  11. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > I like the bit about 'sumo wrestling" or the situation "would be
    > terminal". If there were *any* doubt whatsoever that the dude was a
    > troll, it's now firmly gone.
    >
    > So, for that matter, is he.

    You missed the one a week or so ago then, where it was complaining about
    linux combining drives and linux not being able to access his windows drive
    letters. When he came up with the punchline... "I can see the H drive, the D
    drive and the A drive, but where are C and E?"

    Now he's yanking peoples chains about sudo and the terminal...
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  12. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:58:37 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> I like the bit about 'sumo wrestling" or the situation "would be
    >> terminal". If there were *any* doubt whatsoever that the dude was a
    >> troll, it's now firmly gone.
    >>
    >> So, for that matter, is he.

    > You missed the one a week or so ago then, where it was complaining about
    > linux combining drives and linux not being able to access his windows drive
    > letters. When he came up with the punchline... "I can see the H drive, the D
    > drive and the A drive, but where are C and E?"
    >
    > Now he's yanking peoples chains about sudo and the terminal...

    That was a joke....
    Too bad most of you sour balls missed it...

    In your zeal to discredit his post the joke ended up being on ya'll.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:58:37 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >>> I like the bit about 'sumo wrestling" or the situation "would be
    >>> terminal". If there were *any* doubt whatsoever that the dude was a
    >>> troll, it's now firmly gone.
    >>>
    >>> So, for that matter, is he.

    >> You missed the one a week or so ago then, where it was complaining about
    >> linux combining drives and linux not being able to access his windows drive
    >> letters. When he came up with the punchline... "I can see the H drive, the D
    >> drive and the A drive, but where are C and E?"
    >>
    >> Now he's yanking peoples chains about sudo and the terminal...

    > That was a joke....

    So is this latest one.

    > Too bad most of you sour balls missed it...

    I suggest you reacquaint yourself with the word "punchline".

  14. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:28:06 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> You missed the one a week or so ago then, where it was complaining about
    >>> linux combining drives and linux not being able to access his windows drive
    >>> letters. When he came up with the punchline... "I can see the H drive, the D
    >>> drive and the A drive, but where are C and E?"
    >>>
    >>> Now he's yanking peoples chains about sudo and the terminal...

    >> That was a joke....

    > So is this latest one.
    >
    >> Too bad most of you sour balls missed it...

    > I suggest you reacquaint yourself with the word "punchline".

    Not every joke has a punch line you idiot.

    He got the best of you boobs and that's that.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:28:06 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> That was a joke....

    >> So is this latest one.
    >>
    >>> Too bad most of you sour balls missed it...

    >> I suggest you reacquaint yourself with the word "punchline".

    > Not every joke has a punch line you idiot.
    >
    > He got the best of you boobs and that's that.

    When Halliwell comes in with his "Hmms" and all his "quali****ations" I
    can not recall the last time he was right about anything. Not as dumb as
    High Plains Hypocrite (obviously), but certainly wrong more times than
    he is right. The best example of a little knowledge being a dangerous
    thing available in COLA with the exception of Willy "Fiddler" Filters
    and his apparent belief that people are impressed that he knows how to
    use a killfile filter!

    --
    "Of course, by the time Gnash gets its act together, we'll
    probably all have to start all over again with Silverlight

  16. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:47:02 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > When Halliwell comes in with his "Hmms" and all his "quali****ations" I
    > can not recall the last time he was right about anything. Not as dumb as
    > High Plains Hypocrite (obviously), but certainly wrong more times than
    > he is right. The best example of a little knowledge being a dangerous
    > thing available in COLA with the exception of Willy "Fiddler" Filters
    > and his apparent belief that people are impressed that he knows how to
    > use a killfile filter!

    This group has all the trappings of a Fellini circus.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rekruled

    wrote
    on Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:18:11 -0700
    :
    > I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play music it keeps
    > stuttering and sloshing and then sometimes plays fully and sometimes does
    > not. I called the help desk and they said I should enter some sort of sumo
    > wrestling crap or that the situation would be as they said terminal. I
    > talked with Hank or Frank or whatever the hell his name is and he was
    > clueless. Anyone in here know how to fix music?

    Yeah, you're right; it's obviously a Linux problem. :-P

    Care to provide some details?

    I can tell you that I don't care for Totem, mostly
    because it doesn't understand Microsoft stream formats.
    Removing it from my laptop and presto---Green960's stream
    now works through iheartmusic.com (and mplayer). I still
    can't get it to work directly from their website, so it's
    only a partial victory. I suspect a bug in their website.

    As for stuttering -- there are multiple issues with that.
    One presumes either insufficient CPU power, insufficient
    RAM, insufficient bandwidth (are you using dialup?),
    or general cluelessness.

    [1] CPU power. If your CPU is pegged, I'm curious as to
    what else is running. Shut down the stream and see
    if it's still pegged. I for one would find this
    unlikely; streaming works fine at home for me, even
    when playing Flash games. (The sounds mix, too,
    although I'd like a little more individual volume
    control.)

    [2] RAM. If the disk is swapping noisily, it's running low
    on RAM. The solution is either to add more RAM,
    or find other things using too much RAM and shut
    them down. mplayer on my system does use 40MB, with
    7.7M resident. Firefox uses 242MB, with 55MB resident.
    A 256 MB system would be very hard pressed.

    [3] There's not a lot to be done for bandwidth except upgrading
    one's service. I have no troubles streaming talk
    using 1.5 Mb/s DSL, though. I don't anticipate too
    many difficulties with music, either.

    [4] That's 'sudo', and one might just as easily use
    "Applications > Accessories > Root Terminal" instead.

    [5] Lot of Hanks and Franks in this world.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. An OS which actually, unlike certain other offerings, works.

  18. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    * Andrew Halliwell peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> I like the bit about 'sumo wrestling" or the situation "would be
    >> terminal". If there were *any* doubt whatsoever that the dude was a
    >> troll, it's now firmly gone.
    >>
    >> So, for that matter, is he.

    > You missed the one a week or so ago then, where it was complaining about
    > linux combining drives and linux not being able to access his windows drive
    > letters. When he came up with the punchline... "I can see the H drive, the D
    > drive and the A drive, but where are C and E?"
    >
    > Now he's yanking peoples chains about sudo and the terminal...

    I still can't find the Start button in Fluxbox.

    And where's the Windows Media Player?

    --
    If any man wishes to be humbled and mortified, let him become president
    of Harvard.

  19. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Andrew Halliwell peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >>> I like the bit about 'sumo wrestling" or the situation "would be
    >>> terminal". If there were *any* doubt whatsoever that the dude was a
    >>> troll, it's now firmly gone.
    >>>
    >>> So, for that matter, is he.

    >> You missed the one a week or so ago then, where it was complaining about
    >> linux combining drives and linux not being able to access his windows drive
    >> letters. When he came up with the punchline... "I can see the H drive, the D
    >> drive and the A drive, but where are C and E?"
    >>
    >> Now he's yanking peoples chains about sudo and the terminal...

    > I still can't find the Start button in Fluxbox.
    >
    > And where's the Windows Media Player?

    And why doesn't regedit run with wine do anything?
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  20. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:58:37 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> I like the bit about 'sumo wrestling" or the situation "would be
    >> terminal". If there were *any* doubt whatsoever that the dude was a
    >> troll, it's now firmly gone.
    >>
    >> So, for that matter, is he.

    > You missed the one a week or so ago then, where it was complaining about
    > linux combining drives and linux not being able to access his windows
    > drive letters. When he came up with the punchline... "I can see the H
    > drive, the D drive and the A drive, but where are C and E?"

    Yeah, I sorta vaguely saw a post or two about that. /dev/hda, the
    magical combination of drives h:, d: and a: - as if linux is going to
    combine his floppy and hard drive in any way.

    Oh well, as I said, /dev/null with him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast