Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu - Linux

This is a discussion on Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu - Linux ; On 2008-08-25, The Ghost In The Machine wrote: > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rekruled > > wrote > on Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:18:11 -0700 > : >> I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    On 2008-08-25, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rekruled
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:18:11 -0700
    >:
    >> I keep trying to get Ubuntu to work but when I try to play music it keeps
    >> stuttering and sloshing and then sometimes plays fully and sometimes does
    >> not. I called the help desk and they said I should enter some sort of sumo
    >> wrestling crap or that the situation would be as they said terminal. I
    >> talked with Hank or Frank or whatever the hell his name is and he was
    >> clueless. Anyone in here know how to fix music?
    >>

    > Yeah, you're right; it's obviously a Linux problem. :-P
    >
    > Care to provide some details?
    >
    > I can tell you that I don't care for Totem, mostly
    > because it doesn't understand Microsoft stream formats.
    > Removing it from my laptop and presto---Green960's stream
    > now works through iheartmusic.com (and mplayer). I still
    > can't get it to work directly from their website, so it's
    > only a partial victory. I suspect a bug in their website.
    >
    > As for stuttering -- there are multiple issues with that.
    > One presumes either insufficient CPU power, insufficient
    > RAM, insufficient bandwidth (are you using dialup?),

    Streaming is inherently problematic. It's much like
    wifi in this respect. You can be subject to problems that
    are entirely out of your control.

    Given the chance between taking something off of my
    own LAN for realtime viewing and taking it from the ether,
    I certainly prefer a system I can control.

    [hardware issues that can effect video playback]

    > [3] There's not a lot to be done for bandwidth except upgrading
    > one's service. I have no troubles streaming talk
    > using 1.5 Mb/s DSL, though. I don't anticipate too
    > many difficulties with music, either.

    Music should be pretty easy assuming the other side is not flakey.

    That's true to a great degree of video as well.

    --
    How did irc manage to get so pretentious about civility |||
    of discourse when it doesn't even allow for the free and / | \

  2. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:11:05 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >Linonut wrote:
    >> * Andrew Halliwell peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> You missed the one a week or so ago then, where it was complaining about
    >>> linux combining drives and linux not being able to access his windows drive
    >>> letters. When he came up with the punchline... "I can see the H drive, the D
    >>> drive and the A drive, but where are C and E?"
    >>>
    >>> Now he's yanking peoples chains about sudo and the terminal...

    >> I still can't find the Start button in Fluxbox.
    >>
    >> And where's the Windows Media Player?

    >And why doesn't regedit run with wine do anything?

    works for me, at least I was able to bring up that horrible program.

  3. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    <9ojbo5-2q6.ln1@ponder.sky.com>:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * Andrew Halliwell peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> You missed the one a week or so ago then, where it was complaining about
    >>> linux combining drives and linux not being able to access his windows drive
    >>> letters. When he came up with the punchline... "I can see the H drive, the D
    >>> drive and the A drive, but where are C and E?"
    >>>
    >>> Now he's yanking peoples chains about sudo and the terminal...

    >> I still can't find the Start button in Fluxbox.
    >>
    >> And where's the Windows Media Player?

    > And why doesn't regedit run with wine do anything?

    Doesn't it? On my Gentoo laptop,

    $ regedit

    pops up a window nicely (even remotely!), with the left
    side showing

    My Computer
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    HKEY_USERS
    HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
    HKEY_DYN_DATA

    I don't know if it saves anything, though.

    This file is built from app-emulation/wine-1.1.0 ,
    according to 'equery belongs /usr/bin/regedit'.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Warning: This encrypted signature is a dangerous munition.
    Please notify the US government immediately upon reception.
    0000 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0000 0000 ...

  4. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    >>And why doesn't regedit run with wine do anything?

    > works for me, at least I was able to bring up that horrible program.

    But did it configure your system once it was running?
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  5. Re: Sumo Wrestling with Ubuntu

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Doesn't it? On my Gentoo laptop,
    >
    > $ regedit
    >
    > pops up a window nicely (even remotely!), with the left
    > side showing

    Yeah, I have notepad and msiexec, too.

    --
    Mr. DePree believes participative capitalism is the wave of the future. The
    U.S. work force, he believes, "more and more demands to be included in the
    Secrets of Corporate Creativity", The Wall Street Journal, May 3, 1988

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2