Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn - Linux ; Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great Innovator from Redmond: http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/ Richard Rasker -- http://www.linetec.nl...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

  1. Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great Innovator
    from Redmond:

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  2. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:43:09 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great Innovator
    > from Redmond:
    >
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/
    >
    > Richard Rasker


    That's truly ridiculous....



    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    On Aug 24, 11:43 am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great Innovator
    > from Redmond:
    >
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/
    >
    > Richard Rasker
    > --http://www.linetec.nl



    Seem to remember that Bill Gates was talking about things called
    'partitioned datasets' developed by MS a while back. The thing is,
    Bill was either not thought of or possibly in nappies when they were
    developed in the early days of 'big iron' hard discs. To cut a long
    story short they are files containing a small file system of (usually)
    executables, also known as 'libraries'.

  4. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 19:17:28 -0700, peterwn wrote:

    > On Aug 24, 11:43 am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great
    >> Innovator from Redmond:
    >>
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/
    >>
    >> Richard Rasker
    >> --http://www.linetec.nl

    >
    >
    > Seem to remember that Bill Gates was talking about things called
    > 'partitioned datasets' developed by MS a while back. The thing is, Bill
    > was either not thought of or possibly in nappies when they were
    > developed in the early days of 'big iron' hard discs. To cut a long
    > story short they are files containing a small file system of (usually)
    > executables, also known as 'libraries'.


    Those who don't understand unix will try to reinvent it.... poorly.

  5. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    On Aug 24, 2:58*pm, alt wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 19:17:28 -0700, peterwn wrote:
    > > On Aug 24, 11:43 am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    > >> Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great
    > >> Innovator from Redmond:

    >
    > >>http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/

    >
    > >> Richard Rasker
    > >> --http://www.linetec.nl

    >
    > > Seem to remember that Bill Gates was talking about things called
    > > 'partitioned datasets' developed by MS a while back. *The thing is, Bill
    > > was either not thought of or possibly in nappies when they were
    > > developed in the early days of 'big iron' hard discs. *To cut a long
    > > story short they are files containing a small file system of (usually)
    > > executables, also known as 'libraries'.

    >
    > Those who don't understand unix will try to reinvent it.... poorly.


    Actually those go back to before unix existed. IBM 360 had them.

  6. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    ____/ alt on Sunday 24 August 2008 02:58 : \____

    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 19:17:28 -0700, peterwn wrote:
    >
    >> On Aug 24, 11:43 am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>> Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great
    >>> Innovator from Redmond:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/
    >>>
    >>> Richard Rasker
    >>> --http://www.linetec.nl

    >>
    >>
    >> Seem to remember that Bill Gates was talking about things called
    >> 'partitioned datasets' developed by MS a while back. The thing is, Bill
    >> was either not thought of or possibly in nappies when they were
    >> developed in the early days of 'big iron' hard discs. To cut a long
    >> story short they are files containing a small file system of (usually)
    >> executables, also known as 'libraries'.

    >
    > Those who don't understand unix will try to reinvent it.... poorly.


    ....And then claim ownership of it.


    Latha Jishnu: The mouse that bit Microsoft
    PATENTLY ABSURD

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here’s what Gates wrote in an office memorandum in 1991. “If people had
    | understood how patents would be granted when most of today’s ideas were
    | invented, and had taken out patents, the industry would be at a complete
    | standstill today. . . I feel certain that some large company will patent some
    | obvious thing related to interface, object orientation, algorithm,
    | application extension or other crucial technique.”
    `----

    http://www.business-standard.com/ind...?autono=330566


    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | chmod a-r *.mbox
    http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Tasks: 138 total, 2 running, 136 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    http://iuron.com - knowledge engine, not a search engine
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

    iEUEARECAAYFAkixIy0ACgkQU4xAY3RXLo4BcACUDArzrpfwAc 1z/bRLO+IBt2lz
    CQCgoajCMNbOl2AEFXhS2JQ9sbdzmQg=
    =Idhk
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  7. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great Innovator
    > from Redmond:
    >
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/


    I know what they're up to...
    They're preparing for a major civilisation collapse, so that when everyone
    is rebuilding, they make sure they hold all the cards when it comes to
    technology.

    I wonder if they know something about the LHC that we don't.

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
    | in | suck is probably the day they start making |
    | Computer science | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge |

  8. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:43:09 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great Innovator
    >> from Redmond:
    >>
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/
    >>
    >> Richard Rasker

    >
    > That's truly ridiculous....


    If there's one patent that clearly demonstrates that the US patent system is
    totally broken, and nothing more than a paid-for rubberstamping facility,
    look no further. The nasty thing is that they don't sell crappy toys or
    anything else with no real value, but twenty-year legal monopolies -- or
    should I say: innovation roadblocks and quagmires.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  9. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:48:25 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great
    >> Innovator from Redmond:
    >>
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/

    >
    > I know what they're up to...
    > They're preparing for a major civilisation collapse, so that when
    > everyone is rebuilding, they make sure they hold all the cards when
    > it comes to technology.
    >
    > I wonder if they know something about the LHC that we don't.


    Well the LHC will produce energies of about 7x10^12 eV. Cosmic rays of
    more than 10^20 eV have been detected. Google for the 'Oh-My-God
    particle'. Should put peopls minds at ease regarding the LHC.

  10. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    * Richard Rasker peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great Innovator
    > from Redmond:
    >
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/


    I prefer the Magic Space Bar: Space down, Shift-Space up, like Firefox
    uses.

    --
    Don't read everything you believe.

  11. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Richard Rasker peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great Innovator
    >> from Redmond:
    >>
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/

    >
    > I prefer the Magic Space Bar: Space down, Shift-Space up, like Firefox
    > uses.


    Quick then! Get a patent application in before Microsoft does! No doubt
    they're on to the lookout to kill off any alternatives circumventing their
    innovative PgUp/PgDn "method and system"!

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  12. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 12:08:51 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:43:09 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great Innovator
    >>> from Redmond:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/
    >>>
    >>> Richard Rasker

    >>
    >> That's truly ridiculous....

    >
    > If there's one patent that clearly demonstrates that the US patent system is
    > totally broken, and nothing more than a paid-for rubberstamping facility,
    > look no further. The nasty thing is that they don't sell crappy toys or
    > anything else with no real value, but twenty-year legal monopolies -- or
    > should I say: innovation roadblocks and quagmires.
    >
    > Richard Rasker


    Actually something Schestowitz posted a couple of weeks ago was equally
    good evidence.

    I don't remember the specifics but it was an article talking of discovering
    DNA and then having a patent on it so that others would have to pay to use
    the DNA for research.
    A gross simplification of the article, but the gist is there.

    That's insane IMHO.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 09:59:56 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Richard Rasker peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great Innovator
    >> from Redmond:
    >>
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/

    >
    > I prefer the Magic Space Bar: Space down, Shift-Space up, like Firefox
    > uses.


    I never knew that !

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 09:59:56 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Richard Rasker peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great Innovator
    >>> from Redmond:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/

    >>
    >> I prefer the Magic Space Bar: Space down, Shift-Space up, like Firefox
    >> uses.

    >
    > I never knew that !


    Unfortunately, that always gets me when I'm looking at a Word document.
    Doh!

    It's not always consistent, either. Some apps support Space, but not
    Shift-Space.

    Firefox shares with Microsoft apps the presence of two markers, the one
    controlled by the scroll bar, and the other controlled by keystrokes, so
    that you can find yourself jumping to an unexpected place on the page.

    In slrn, Space means "enter the group" or "read the post".

    --
    backups: always in season, never out of style.

  15. Re: Microsoft's latest patented innovation: using PgUp & PgDn

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 07:29:13 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 09:59:56 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Richard Rasker peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>>
    >>>> Yup, it's another exciting innovative innovation from The Great Innovator
    >>>> from Redmond:
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20193/53/
    >>>
    >>> I prefer the Magic Space Bar: Space down, Shift-Space up, like Firefox
    >>> uses.

    >>
    >> I never knew that !

    >
    > Unfortunately, that always gets me when I'm looking at a Word document.
    > Doh!
    >
    > It's not always consistent, either. Some apps support Space, but not
    > Shift-Space.
    >
    > Firefox shares with Microsoft apps the presence of two markers, the one
    > controlled by the scroll bar, and the other controlled by keystrokes, so
    > that you can find yourself jumping to an unexpected place on the page.
    >
    > In slrn, Space means "enter the group" or "read the post".


    Yea I know what ya mean!
    I like slrn and use it sometimes but I do find myself getting mixed up on
    occasion because I don't use it all the time.
    Great program though.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread