Re: [News] Recession Favours Free Software - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Recession Favours Free Software - Linux ; * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo: >> http://blogs.computerworld.com/linux_can_save_us > > People will continue paying MS for their imperfect operating systems and > imperfect office suites for as long as MS continues making them. You are correct. With luck, though, ...

  1. Re: [News] Recession Favours Free Software

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> http://blogs.computerworld.com/linux_can_save_us

    > People will continue paying MS for their imperfect operating systems and
    > imperfect office suites for as long as MS continues making them.

    You are correct.

    With luck, though, more will understand that they don't have to pay for
    those products, just to send around Word docs.

    --
    wok, n.:
    Something to thwow at a wabbit.

  2. Re: [News] Recession Favours Free Software

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:59:23 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> http://blogs.computerworld.com/linux_can_save_us

    >> People will continue paying MS for their imperfect operating systems and
    >> imperfect office suites for as long as MS continues making them.

    > You are correct.
    >
    > With luck, though, more will understand that they don't have to pay for
    > those products, just to send around Word docs.

    Of course but what they are paying for is a standard and the comfort and
    security of knowing they are using what everyone else is using so at least
    in theory it should work and if not, they will not be the only one with a
    problem so the solution will be easily found.

    OpenOffice is an unknown to most people.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Recession Favours Free Software

    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:59:23 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> People will continue paying MS for their imperfect operating systems and
    >>> imperfect office suites for as long as MS continues making them.

    >> You are correct.
    >>
    >> With luck, though, more will understand that they don't have to pay for
    >> those products, just to send around Word docs.

    > Of course but what they are paying for is a standard and the comfort and
    > security of knowing they are using what everyone else is using so at least
    > in theory it should work and if not, they will not be the only one with a
    > problem so the solution will be easily found.
    >
    > OpenOffice is an unknown to most people.

    Start spreading the word!

    I use OpenOffice exclusive at home for dealing with Word and Excel
    documents sent around for soccer registration and such.

    Nobody notices.

    I recommend OO to them if they don't have Word, but I suspect most
    people keep a "copy" of MS Office around.

    --
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
    -- Miguel de Cervantes

  4. Re: Recession Favours Free Software

    On Aug 23, 3:36*pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:59:23 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    > > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > >> People will continue paying MS for their imperfect operating systems and
    > >> imperfect office suites for as long as MS continues making them.

    > > You are correct.

    > > With luck, though, more will understand that they don't have to pay for
    > > those products, just to send around Word docs.

    > Of course but what they are paying for is a standard and the comfort and
    > security of knowing they are using what everyone else is using so at least
    > in theory it should work and if not, they will not be the only one with a
    > problem so the solution will be easily found.
    >
    > OpenOffice is an unknown to most people.
    >
    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    Linux is missing a good marketing effort.
    Instead, it is a bunch of hardcore geeks,
    saying Linux is a cure all.

    Nobody is buying what they are saying.

  5. Re: [News] Recession Favours Free Software

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:27:58 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:59:23 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> You are correct.
    >>>
    >>> With luck, though, more will understand that they don't have to pay for
    >>> those products, just to send around Word docs.

    >> Of course but what they are paying for is a standard and the comfort and
    >> security of knowing they are using what everyone else is using so at least
    >> in theory it should work and if not, they will not be the only one with a
    >> problem so the solution will be easily found.
    >>
    >> OpenOffice is an unknown to most people.

    > Start spreading the word!
    >
    > I use OpenOffice exclusive at home for dealing with Word and Excel
    > documents sent around for soccer registration and such.
    >
    > Nobody notices.
    >
    > I recommend OO to them if they don't have Word, but I suspect most
    > people keep a "copy" of MS Office around.

    I thought so too until my daughter's paper didn't format correctly in Word
    after writing and saving it in Word format under OO.

    That was it for me and this was a very simple paper.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: [News] Recession Favours Free Software

    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:27:58 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> Nobody notices.
    >>
    >> I recommend OO to them if they don't have Word, but I suspect most
    >> people keep a "copy" of MS Office around.

    > I thought so too until my daughter's paper didn't format correctly in Word
    > after writing and saving it in Word format under OO.
    >
    > That was it for me and this was a very simple paper.

    I'm not sure I believe you, frankly.

    I've done too much cross-office documentation, and the only major issues
    I've found are with font differences (i.e. somebody uses a weird font
    that no one else has) and numbering -- and even Word itself handles
    numbering in a totally stupid way.

    Even so, just have your daughter use WordPad!

    --
    Fame lost its appeal for me when I went into a public restroom and an
    autograph seeker handed me a pen and paper under the stall door.

  7. Re: [News] Recession Favours Free Software

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 07:43:04 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:27:58 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Nobody notices.
    >>>
    >>> I recommend OO to them if they don't have Word, but I suspect most
    >>> people keep a "copy" of MS Office around.

    >> I thought so too until my daughter's paper didn't format correctly in Word
    >> after writing and saving it in Word format under OO.
    >>
    >> That was it for me and this was a very simple paper.

    > I'm not sure I believe you, frankly.

    It's true.

    > I've done too much cross-office documentation, and the only major issues
    > I've found are with font differences (i.e. somebody uses a weird font
    > that no one else has) and numbering -- and even Word itself handles
    > numbering in a totally stupid way.

    It was a simple paper with some footnotes and references at the end.
    The formatting was off and while it could be read with no problems, the
    appearance of the document looked poor.

    > Even so, just have your daughter use WordPad!

    That's what I use most of the time

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] Recession Favours Free Software

    On 2008-08-25, Linonut wrote:
    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:27:58 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Nobody notices.
    >>>
    >>> I recommend OO to them if they don't have Word, but I suspect most
    >>> people keep a "copy" of MS Office around.

    >> I thought so too until my daughter's paper didn't format correctly in Word
    >> after writing and saving it in Word format under OO.
    >>
    >> That was it for me and this was a very simple paper.

    > I'm not sure I believe you, frankly.

    I concur.

    I have been using OO in corporate environments for years without
    anyone noticing. The biggest compliment that you can give to an
    alternative office suite is that it is invisible.

    > I've done too much cross-office documentation, and the only major issues
    > I've found are with font differences (i.e. somebody uses a weird font
    > that no one else has) and numbering -- and even Word itself handles
    > numbering in a totally stupid way.
    >
    > Even so, just have your daughter use WordPad!

    Thanks to OLE (or whatever they call it these days), you can do
    some very interesting things just with wordpad. This potentially
    really isn't fully realized due to the "one true interface" mentality
    that's so prevalent in Windows.

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \

  9. Re: [News] Recession Favours Free Software

    > It was a simple paper with some footnotes and references at the end.
    > The formatting was off and while it could be read with no problems, the
    > appearance of the document looked poor.

    What version of OO? I'm on 2.4.1, and the printout of a Word document
    from OO that has a header and foot, a number of graphics and tables, and
    numbering looks pretty good.

    The only "off" item is the header and figure captions, which are just a
    tiny bit larger than the should be.

    >> Even so, just have your daughter use WordPad!

    > That's what I use most of the time

    It's great for reading UNIX text files, since, unlike NotePad, it
    handles the LF (line feed) properly.

    --
    The master programmer moves from program to program without fear. No
    change in management can harm him. He will not be fired, even if the project

  10. Re: [News] Recession Favours Free Software

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:32:55 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> It was a simple paper with some footnotes and references at the end.
    >> The formatting was off and while it could be read with no problems, the
    >> appearance of the document looked poor.

    > What version of OO? I'm on 2.4.1, and the printout of a Word document
    > from OO that has a header and foot, a number of graphics and tables, and
    > numbering looks pretty good.

    Version 2.3.1 under PCLinuxOS.

    > The only "off" item is the header and figure captions, which are just a
    > tiny bit larger than the should be.

    That wasn't the case here.
    Sentences were cut off and wrapped to a new line as well.
    Bold captions over paragraphs were not centered correctly.

    It just looked wrong.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: