An example of poorly done UI - Linux

This is a discussion on An example of poorly done UI - Linux ; Just happened to stumble into this - and since some in COLA accuse me of "pushing" OS X and its apps I figured I would share: Look at the text under the "Author" field. What the heck was Apple thinking ...

  1. An example of poorly done UI

    Just happened to stumble into this - and since some in COLA accuse me of
    "pushing" OS X and its apps I figured I would share:

    Look at the text under the "Author" field. What the heck was Apple thinking
    to have such little contrast (text of about 80% brightness on a background
    of about 90% brightness). That is, frankly, absurd.

    --
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

  2. Re: Video examples of well done Linux UI

    Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Snit
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Appil Department of Marketing:

    > Just happened to stumble into this - and since some in COLA accuse me of
    > "pushing" OS X and its apps I figured I would share:
    >

    > Look at the text under the "Author" field. What the heck was Apple
    > thinking to have such little contrast (text of about 80% brightness on a
    > background
    > of about 90% brightness). That is, frankly, absurd.

    Istead of you trying to focus in on the negatives,
    why don't you focus in on the positives?

    Take for example Ubuntu and compiz
    http://www.youtube.com search for compiz
    And then marvel at superior Linux desktop eye candy and performance.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  3. Re: Video examples of well done Linux UI

    "7" stated in post
    6YXrk.47132$E41.15795@text.news.virginmedia.com on 8/23/08 10:40 AM:

    > Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Snit
    > wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Appil Department of Marketing:
    >

    >> Just happened to stumble into this - and since some in COLA accuse me of
    >> "pushing" OS X and its apps I figured I would share:
    >>

    >> Look at the text under the "Author" field. What the heck was Apple thinking
    >> to have such little contrast (text of about 80% brightness on a background of
    >> about 90% brightness). That is, frankly, absurd.

    > Istead of you trying to focus in on the negatives,
    > why don't you focus in on the positives?

    posted this for the reason I said: to counter the silly claims that I am
    pushing OS X. Speaking of the positives would have been counter to that
    goal.

    > Take for example Ubuntu and compiz
    > http://www.youtube.com search for compiz
    > And then marvel at superior Linux desktop eye candy and performance.

    While some parts of what I have seen of compiz are of value, much of it
    seems to be eye candy for the sake of eye candy. Not saying I am against
    people having the choice of such, but, really, other than to show off in a
    demo I fail to see much value with it.

    --
    "Uh... ask me after we ship the next version of Windows [laughs] then I'll
    be more open to give you a blunt answer." - Bill Gates

  4. Re: Video examples of well done Linux UI

    Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Snit
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Appil Department of Marketing:

    > "7" stated in post
    > 6YXrk.47132$E41.15795@text.news.virginmedia.com on 8/23/08 10:40 AM:
    >
    >> Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Snit
    >> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Appil Department of Marketing:
    >>

    >>> Just happened to stumble into this - and since some in COLA accuse me of
    >>> "pushing" OS X and its apps I figured I would share:
    >>>

    >>> Look at the text under the "Author" field. What the heck was Apple
    >>> thinking to have such little contrast (text of about 80% brightness on a
    >>> background of
    >>> about 90% brightness). That is, frankly, absurd.

    >> Istead of you trying to focus in on the negatives,
    >> why don't you focus in on the positives?

    > posted this for the reason I said: to counter the silly claims that I am
    > pushing OS X. Speaking of the positives would have been counter to that
    > goal.
    >>
    >> Take for example Ubuntu and compiz
    >> http://www.youtube.com search for compiz
    >> And then marvel at superior Linux desktop eye candy and performance.

    > While some parts of what I have seen of compiz are of value, much of it
    > seems to be eye candy for the sake of eye candy.

    Oh yes? And which bit might that be?

    > Not saying I am against
    > people having the choice of such,

    Oh no, but you will just carry on like a propellor head anyway....

    > but, really, other than to show off in a
    > demo I fail to see much value with it.

    Tada!
    See I told ya so! You are utter predictable cretin snot!

    Linux is superior and appil retards go into denial mode!!!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

    >> http://www.livecdlist.com
    >> http://www.distrowatch.com

    I think I'll stick with Linux.
    Especially as appil fools are easy to come by
    particularly in Poland. The last I heard they were hiring
    actors to make up fake queues for Appil products.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

    So all those retards queueing in appil stores
    were also actors and lifeless retards!!!

  5. Re: Video examples of well done Linux UI

    "Cyanocobalamine-Hydrocobamine-derivaat-injectiecyclus-met-zaagtandvormige
    B12-lijn" stated in post
    20080823184456.7740F1C00092@mwinf6208.online.nl on 8/23/08 11:44 AM:

    > "7" schreef in bericht
    > news:OkYrk.47145$E41.18644@text.news.virginmedia.c om...
    >> Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Snit
    >> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Appil Department of Marketing:
    >>

    >>> "7" stated in post
    >>> 6YXrk.47132$E41.15795@text.news.virginmedia.com on 8/23/08 10:40 AM:

    >>> posted this for the reason I said: to counter the silly claims that I am
    >>> pushing OS X. Speaking of the positives would have been counter to that
    >>> goal.

    >>> While some parts of what I have seen of compiz are of value, much of it
    >>> seems to be eye candy for the sake of eye candy.

    >> Oh yes? And which bit might that be?
    >>

    >>> Not saying I am against
    >>> people having the choice of such,

    >> Oh no, but you will just carry on like a propellor head anyway....
    >>

    >>> but, really, other than to show off in a
    >>> demo I fail to see much value with it.

    >> Tada!
    >> See I told ya so! You are utter predictable cretin snot!
    >>
    >> Linux is superior and appil retards go into denial mode!!!
    >> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

    >> I think I'll stick with Linux.
    >> Especially as appil fools are easy to come by
    >> particularly in Poland. The last I heard they were hiring
    >> actors to make up fake queues for Appil products.
    >>
    >> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
    >>
    >> So all those retards queueing in appil stores
    >> were also actors and lifeless retards!!!
    >>

    > Please explain, is there a history of lunacy or retardation running in your
    > family?
    > Time for your meds, Josh!

    I suspect he is testing to see how incoherent, insulting, and ignorant he
    can be and still get attention.

    --
    Satan lives for my sins... now *that* is dedication!

  6. Re: Video examples of well done Linux UI

    Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Snit
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Appil Department of Marketing:

    > Satan lives for my sins... now that is dedication!

    Not really fool - Satan lives THROUGH your sins, and no its not dedication
    thats keeping him busy tallying your score either!

  7. Re: An example of poorly done UI

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit

    wrote
    on Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:02:08 -0700
    :
    > Just happened to stumble into this - and since some in COLA accuse me of
    > "pushing" OS X and its apps I figured I would share:
    >

    > Look at the text under the "Author" field. What the heck
    > was Apple thinking to have such little contrast (text of
    > about 80% brightness on a background of about 90% brightness).
    > That is, frankly, absurd.

    [1] The tab icons at the very top stand a fair chance of
    being entirely skipped. A horizontal line just below
    the title bar would help.

    [2] "For new documents" wastes a fair bit of space;
    the developer might use a dropdown instead.
    This dropdown can be augmented by a chooser button
    if so desired. I'll admit I don't know the details
    on the "Template Chooser".

    [3] "Preview:" is redundant. This is probably not a
    significant issue, as the entire structure likes
    categorization on the left.

    [4] Invisibles is a little weird; I hope there's flyover
    help for a fuller explanation.

    [5] "Place origin at center of ruler" should probably be
    a 3-way choice, or is this an issue for Hebrew/Arabic
    users? ;-)

    [6] There is no "Close" button. Unless the upper right jewel
    is the standard Aqua close, it's hard to see how this
    dialog box is closed.

    [7] There is no "Revert" button.

    Minor issues, to be sure; I've seen worse.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #2239120:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = p; strcpy(p,q); }

  8. Re: An example of poorly done UI

    "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    4tabo5-t8l.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 8/25/08 11:40 AM:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:02:08 -0700
    > :
    >> Just happened to stumble into this - and since some in COLA accuse me of
    >> "pushing" OS X and its apps I figured I would share:
    >>

    >> Look at the text under the "Author" field. What the heck
    >> was Apple thinking to have such little contrast (text of
    >> about 80% brightness on a background of about 90% brightness).
    >> That is, frankly, absurd.

    > [1] The tab icons at the very top stand a fair chance of
    > being entirely skipped. A horizontal line just below
    > the title bar would help.

    The idea of not having such a line is that you can move the window by
    clicking and dragging anywhere in the top darker area - this is a standard
    for OS X. Used to be there were multiple types of windows... Apple went to
    this as a unified standard. So while I suppose it is possible a user could
    miss those buttons (tabs) it is not likely since the whole system uses
    those.

    > [2] "For new documents" wastes a fair bit of space;
    > the developer might use a dropdown instead.
    > This dropdown can be augmented by a chooser button
    > if so desired. I'll admit I don't know the details
    > on the "Template Chooser".

    Not sure I exactly follow your comments... but the template chooser is a lot
    more than just a menu:

    > [3] "Preview:" is redundant. This is probably not a
    > significant issue, as the entire structure likes
    > categorization on the left.

    Let's people understand by reading the one word or the "whole" text. Agreed
    that it could be reworded... but not a big deal.

    > [4] Invisibles is a little weird; I hope there's flyover
    > help for a fuller explanation.

    There is not... and really it would be good if there were or, at least, a
    help icon associated with it to give you help for such things.

    > [5] "Place origin at center of ruler" should probably be
    > a 3-way choice, or is this an issue for Hebrew/Arabic
    > users? ;-)

    I do not know... but good question. I wonder if it just assumes the right
    side for right-to-left languages.

    > [6] There is no "Close" button. Unless the upper right jewel
    > is the standard Aqua close, it's hard to see how this
    > dialog box is closed.

    The red dot is "close" - standard on OS X. When you move the mouse near it
    you get an X in it. Frankly I do not really like the OS X buttons there but
    it is not a big deal. I have rarely seen users get confused by them.
    Still, I would *prefer* something different and Apple "locks" this... for
    folks who say I am trying to turn Linux into OS X I would *not* want to see
    this on Linux.

    > [7] There is no "Revert" button.

    Mac options take effect immediately. You can leave the dialog open as you
    work with your document. In most programs anyway.

    > Minor issues, to be sure; I've seen worse.

    I think the issue I pointed out is bigger than any of the ones you did...
    and you did not even comment on mine. I am going to go cry now.

    --
    .... something I'm committed to work on, focusing increasing amounts of
    resources of Canonical on figuring out on how we actually move the desktop

  9. Re: An example of poorly done UI

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit

    wrote
    on Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:34:03 -0700
    :
    > "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    > 4tabo5-t8l.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 8/25/08 11:40 AM:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:02:08 -0700
    >> :
    >>> Just happened to stumble into this - and since some in COLA accuse me of
    >>> "pushing" OS X and its apps I figured I would share:
    >>>

    >>> Look at the text under the "Author" field. What the heck
    >>> was Apple thinking to have such little contrast (text of
    >>> about 80% brightness on a background of about 90% brightness).
    >>> That is, frankly, absurd.

    [snip unargued points for brevity]

    >> [6] There is no "Close" button. Unless the upper right jewel
    >> is the standard Aqua close, it's hard to see how this
    >> dialog box is closed.

    > The red dot is "close" - standard on OS X.

    Not all that intuitive until the user plays around a bit,
    or reads something on OSX. I would hope there's a "Tips"
    dialog that mentions this.

    > When you move the mouse near it
    > you get an X in it. Frankly I do not really like the OS X buttons there but
    > it is not a big deal. I have rarely seen users get confused by them.

    As long as they're consistent, and it sounds like they are.
    Not a big idea as long as all of the dialogs, windows, etc.
    follow this lead.

    > Still, I would *prefer* something different and Apple "locks" this... for
    > folks who say I am trying to turn Linux into OS X I would *not* want to see
    > this on Linux.

    I *would* like to see this on Linux as an option.
    This is only one of many GUI paradigms. (Whether users
    would actually use it as a theme, paradigm, or option,
    I've no idea. That's up to them.)

    >> [7] There is no "Revert" button.

    > Mac options take effect immediately. You can leave the dialog open as you
    > work with your document. In most programs anyway.

    Yeah, I see the same thing with Gnome, and it worries
    me on occasion. If I screw up my settings, how do I get
    them back? Then again, it's not that big an issue.

    >> Minor issues, to be sure; I've seen worse.

    > I think the issue I pointed out is bigger than any of the ones you did...
    > and you did not even comment on mine. I am going to go cry now.

    Well, you already commented on it, and I agree with the issue.
    Was there a need? :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Because it's not a question of if.
    It's a question of when.

  10. Re: An example of poorly done UI

    "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    98nbo5-iin.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 8/25/08 3:10 PM:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit
    >
    > wrote
    > on Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:34:03 -0700
    > :
    >> "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    >> 4tabo5-t8l.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 8/25/08 11:40 AM:
    >>
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:02:08 -0700
    >>> :

    > [snip unargued points for brevity]
    >

    >>> [6] There is no "Close" button. Unless the upper right jewel
    >>> is the standard Aqua close, it's hard to see how this
    >>> dialog box is closed.

    >> The red dot is "close" - standard on OS X.

    > Not all that intuitive until the user plays around a bit,
    > or reads something on OSX. I would hope there's a "Tips"
    > dialog that mentions this.

    There is the help system - I have rarely if ever seen someone not get it *at
    least* once it has been shown to them once... but I agree that the red,
    yellow, and green dots are not very intuitive for someone sitting there for
    the first time alone. Of course, if they have used another OS they likely
    will figure it out quickly. The bigger flaw is the green dot which is
    "zoom" sizing... not intuitive at all what it will do - nor consistent.

    >> When you move the mouse near it
    >> you get an X in it. Frankly I do not really like the OS X buttons there but
    >> it is not a big deal. I have rarely seen users get confused by them.

    > As long as they're consistent, and it sounds like they are.

    They are... other than the green button, and it always resizes but hard to
    predict how (generally toggles between current view and "big enough" - and
    often if "guesses" well). The red dot also gets a dark spot in it for files
    that are not saved (or similar situations).

    > Not a big idea as long as all of the dialogs, windows, etc.
    > follow this lead.

    >> Still, I would *prefer* something different and Apple "locks" this... for
    >> folks who say I am trying to turn Linux into OS X I would *not* want to see
    >> this on Linux.

    > I *would* like to see this on Linux as an option.
    > This is only one of many GUI paradigms. (Whether users
    > would actually use it as a theme, paradigm, or option,
    > I've no idea. That's up to them.)

    I would like to see the user be able to select to have a red circle if they
    want and *also* be able to select to have the red circle show them files are
    not saved. Or maybe have the red dot indicate if the program will close if
    you close that window (that is also not consistent on OS X). I suppose that
    is not as much of a problem on other OSs where programs generally quit when
    you close their last window.

    >>> [7] There is no "Revert" button.

    >> Mac options take effect immediately. You can leave the dialog open as you
    >> work with your document. In most programs anyway.

    > Yeah, I see the same thing with Gnome, and it worries
    > me on occasion. If I screw up my settings, how do I get
    > them back? Then again, it's not that big an issue.

    On the Mac if you really screw things over you can delete (generally) a
    single file in your Preferences folder. Of course then you are back to the
    defaults. You can, of course, save different sets of defaults. On the old
    classic Mac you could get these pref file and pull them out of the
    Preferences folder and use them to launch applications with that set of
    prefs. I loved it but I do not know anyone else who ever made use of it -
    and it did not survive Apple's move to OS X.

    >>> Minor issues, to be sure; I've seen worse.

    >> I think the issue I pointed out is bigger than any of the ones you did...
    >> and you did not even comment on mine. I am going to go cry now.

    > Well, you already commented on it, and I agree with the issue.
    > Was there a need? :-)

    Of course not.

    --
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
    nothing. - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread