Re: [News] FOSS Applications Roundup - Linux

  1. Re: [News] FOSS Applications Roundup

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Open Source You Can Use, August '08 Edition
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | It's high time for another roundup of open source software you can use, the
    > | close-of-August-2008 version. This time around: chatting, publishing, and
    > | content management.
    > |
    > | Just out this week is a new version (2.5) of the multimessenger chat client
    > | Pidgin -- not a major release, but it fixes some stability issues on Windows.
    > | I've been using the PortableApps edition for the sake of convenience, since I
    > | can synchronize it effortlessly between my home machine and my notebook.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...ource_you.html

    He mentions three apps: Pidgin, Scribus, and Movable Type. All three
    are cross-platform.

    Cross-platform development is starting to be recognized as best practice
    for FLOSS. We will see Linux-only desktop and mobile apps either die,
    stagnate, or move to include Mac and Windows.

  2. Re: [News] FOSS Applications Roundup

    * Matt peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...ource_you.html

    > He mentions three apps: Pidgin, Scribus, and Movable Type. All three
    > are cross-platform.
    >
    > Cross-platform development is starting to be recognized as best practice
    > for FLOSS. We will see Linux-only desktop and mobile apps either die,
    > stagnate, or move to include Mac and Windows.

    Probably true in the consumer arena. However, even there, too few
    understand the virtues of open-source, and choose to pay for commercial
    apps that have suitable OSS equivalents.

    I like cross-platform coding for one reason only, though -- making the
    code more robust, and unearthing any inconsistencies in protocols or
    data formats.

    --
    Several years ago, an international chess tournament was being held in a
    swank hotel in New York. Most of the major stars of the chess world were

+ Reply to Thread