[News] Free(dom) Software Has Huge Value - Linux

  1. [News] Free(dom) Software Has Huge Value

    Editor's Note: FOSS Is More Valuable Than $60 Billion

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Oh I know, think of the poor billionaires- they think it's harder to become
    | filthy rich under that type of system, which is why are so ruthless in
    | killing it. For them to win, everyone else must lose. Which is another kind
    | of blindness, and creating an enemy where there isn't one- anyone can use and
    | benefit from FOSS. I may cry myself to sleep over mean old FOSS picking on
    | them. On second thought, nah, why bother?
    `----

    http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...8-22-032-35-PS

    Recent:

    Conversations With My Dad About Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By 1999, he had jumped online for stock trading. He called me one day and
    | said “Know anything about this company Red Hat? They went public with a $3
    | billion market cap and near as I can tell, their software is free. Am I
    | missing something? How is that a sustainable business? Or should I short
    | Microsoft stock?”
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Open source companies can be big, but can they be really big? The conference
    | opened with a keynote by Jim Whitehurst, the CEO of Red Hat, which is the
    | largest, pure-play open source company.
    `----

    http://www.linux-mag.com/id/6646

    Open Source and Sustainability

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I won't type in the whole chapter (too lazy), but I will say that he goes on
    | for four pages talking about how open source makes it possible for small
    | people to do powerful things, and how, as it inevitably gets better through
    | user-driven innovation, it is the model of a sustainable system. (He even
    | quotes from CATB and explains how he, as a biodiesel farmer and producer, has
    | seen the open source effect in action, applied it to his own way of working,
    | and has profited from it.)
    `----

    http://opensource.org/node/342

    Judging open source innovation with Red Hat

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the creativity category IBM and Raytheon Integrated Defense Systems won
    | for a system they built for the U.S. Navy. Yup Linux is on U.S Naval Warships
    | defending the free world and American interests. The system that Red Hat fits
    | into there (again something that required all kinds of interesting work) is
    | the Zumwalt Total Ship Computing Environment (TSCE).
    `----

    http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...nnovation.html

    Microsoft in $US20b buyback

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | She expects Microsoft to complete the repurchase - at least five times larger
    | than its average per quarter in the past fiscal year - over the next three
    | months.
    |
    | "They won't announce it until it's done,'' Ms Bellini said.
    | *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    `----

    http://business.smh.com.au/business/...0806-3r0l.html

    UBS says Microsoft aims for $20 billion buyback: report

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) will buy back
    | as much as $20 billion of its stock to boost its flagging share price,
    | Bloomberg News quoted a top-rated software analyst as saying.
    `----

    http://www.reuters.com/article/merge...42050020080806

    Microsoft should issue debt for a buyback--analyst

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) should take on
    | debt to repurchase stock as a way to revive its flagging share price, a
    | financial analyst said in a new report issued on Tuesday.
    |
    | Friedman, Billings, Ramsey & Co analyst David Hilal called on the company to
    | take advantage of its predictable cash flow and rock solid balance sheet to
    | execute a leveraged buyback.
    `----

    http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...25586020080722

    Eight Years of Wrongness

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That performance record would be embarrassing enough on its own, but it comes
    | in spite of going through an unprecedented amount of our cash on buybacks
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^
    | (nearly $43 billion worth in just the past three fiscal years) and other
    | * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | schemes that were supposed to drive the stock.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Some readers may be surprised that I was initially a Ballmer supporter.
    `----

    http://msftextrememakeover.blogspot....wrongness.html

    Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars [in less than a year]

    http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars

  2. Re: [News] Free(dom) Software Has Huge Value

    > Editor's Note: FOSS Is More Valuable Than $60 Billion

    $60 billion? No, it's priceless.

    --
    Instead of loving your enemies, treat your friends a little better.
    -- Edgar W. Howe

  3. Re: [News] Free(dom) Software Has Huge Value

    ____/ Linonut on Saturday 23 August 2008 15:42 : \____

    http://www.opensource.org/node/364

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | McDonald's does to diet what Microsoft does to PC's